Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 136: Log flume, zip-line, ropes course & more announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:38 pm

SharkTums wrote:^I'm not super familiar with all the new Coney Island stuff and the Zamperla deal...are there any other non-Zamperla rides/attractions in the stuff that they run?

Obviously there's the Carousel and the Cyclone. Everything else is a Zamperla attraction except for their Sling Shot ride, which is a Funtime semi-portable installation, and (I believe) their Coney Island Raceway go-kart track. So it's not unprecedented for Central Amusements to reach out beyond Zamperla's portfolio for a specialty attraction.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:46 pm

coasterbill wrote:This is amazing news, not only because it's a log flume but because this really completes the revitalization of the area between Cyclone and the baseball stadium. That little strip was super sketchy and generally just an overgrown eyesore.

It doesn't look like it will extend all the way back to Surf Avenue but I guess that's probably a plus since it saves the Cyclones from needing to install a net to catch home run balls which would (in itself) be sort of hideous. The way it is now you would need an absolute bomb which isn't going to happen all that often in the New York Penn League.

I love the additions to the end of the streets also.

I'm still confused about the area between the Thunderbolt and the Stadium. To me it still appears that half of the vacant lot will remain vacant. I think this will be a future water park.

My interpretation
It sounds like the flume will be entered from the beach and will stretch from the walkway alongside the B&B Carousel/stadium to the Thunderbolt, but I can't imagine it stretching more than 1/3 of the way to Surf.

Ropes Course/Zip Line will not go on the vacant lot, but on 15th street between Wonder Wheel Way and the boardwalk

Stillwell Avenue between Wonder Wheel Way and the Boardwalk will be filled with skill games.

12th Avenue between Wonder Wheel way and boardwalk will be filled with food stands
ConeyIsland2018Map.JPG
flume.jpeg
Fits between the Thunderbolt and B&B Carousel
ropes.jpeg
Fits between Thunderbolt and GoKarts
games.jpeg
Fits between GoKarts and Soaring Eagle
ConeyIsland2018Map.JPG
Future installations
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:56 pm

A.J. wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^I'm not super familiar with all the new Coney Island stuff and the Zamperla deal...are there any other non-Zamperla rides/attractions in the stuff that they run?

Obviously there's the Carousel and the Cyclone. Everything else is a Zamperla attraction except for their Sling Shot ride, which is a Funtime semi-portable installation, and (I believe) their Coney Island Raceway go-kart track. So it's not unprecedented for Central Amusements to reach out beyond Zamperla's portfolio for a specialty attraction.

To add to this. CAI (Zamperla) has been awarded responsibility for every ride in the Coney Island amusement district except for the following:
Deno's Wonder Wheel Park, obviously
a few independent rides on West 12th (Ghost Hole, Saturn 6, two other flats)
Thor Equities still owns 55,000 sq feet, which is used for the art walls/food containers and Brooklyn Miniature Golf and Go Karts. They still have dreams of building a hotel and movie theater on these parcels someday.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 pm.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Taylor Finn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:32 pm

I’ll be curious how they fill the space for the flume. If it’s gonna go all the way across that lot width wise, they’ll have to find a way to build further back, etc if it’s to be connected. If all continues to go well, maybe a tiny little water park could fit in the remainder of the lot? People would likely enjoy that!

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Taylor Finn wrote:I’ll be curious how they fill the space for the flume. If it’s gonna go all the way across that lot width wise, they’ll have to find a way to build further back, etc if it’s to be connected. If all continues to go well, maybe a tiny little water park could fit in the remainder of the lot? People would likely enjoy that!

Filling that whole space lengthwise is an assumption of mine, quite possibly it won't be that wide.

There was a lot of buzz about a water park when the applications first went out and I remember reading somewhere that one submission (of course not from CAI) was a water park on that whole site from Surf Street to the Boardwalk.

Postby larrygator » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 pm

This brief news article states that a water park is part of the current plan. In my opinion that fits perfectly behind the log flume filling the vacant lot to Surf Avenue.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/08/23/city-unveils-plans-for-new-water-park-arcade-on-coney-island/

City Unveils Plans For New Water Park, Arcade On Coney Island
August 23, 2018 at 1:09 pm

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The New York City Economic Development Corporation and NYC Parks announced Thursday plans to construct a large-scale water park on Coney Island.

The city has picked Central Amusement International (CAI) to develop 150,000 square feet of city-owned land in the heart of Coney Island’s world-famous amusement district.

The plans call for a water park, a public plaza with open air food options and an arcade.

“Coney Island is both a cherished summertime destination and an important economic engine for South Brooklyn,” said James Patchett, President and CEO of New York City Economic Development Corporation. “With these exciting new attractions and our ongoing investments in housing and infrastructure, Coney Island’s future has never looked brighter.”
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:08 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:16 pm

larrygator wrote:My interpretation
It sounds like the flume will be entered from the beach and will stretch from the walkway alongside the B&B Carousel/stadium to the Thunderbolt, but I can't imagine it stretching more than 1/3 of the way to Surf.

I interpret it the same way. I'm curious to see what (if anything) fills in the rest of that area, especially because due to how narrow that street is and how close it is to the outfield wall whatever it is is going to get peppered with flying baseballs unless it's something indoors or they invest in a big ugly net. It's only 315 feet down the line which is... not much. :lol:

Postby larrygator » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:28 pm

coasterbill wrote:
larrygator wrote:My interpretation

I interpret it the same way. I'm curious to see what (if anything) fills in the rest of that area, especially because due to how narrow that street is and how close it is to the outfield wall whatever it is is going to get peppered with flying baseballs unless it's something indoors or they invest in a big ugly net. It's only 315 feet down the line which is... not much. :lol:

The net does not have to be ugly, the only drawback to the net is the birds that will roost upon it.

Maybe a permanent huge painted mural wall beyond left field.

A huge mesh wall/net that can be raised during baseball games (similar to a field goal net)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:39 pm

There are tons of things they could do, I’m just curious to see what they come up with. Personally I’m gunning for a rooftop sports bar with a field view. :lol:

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:32 pm

larrygator wrote:
A.J. wrote:

From my readings on Coney Island... "In 2010 Antonio Zamperla S.p.A. was selected by CAI (Central Amusement International) to restore and renovate the Coney Island area, the company managed the amusement park in New York installing only Zamperla rides, representing a perfect test bed for new attractions before to launch them."

Unlike companies such as Intamin, Vekoma, or Bolliger & Mabillard that concentrate on larger and faster roller coasters, Zamperla focuses on more family-friendly roller coasters that can be easily mass-produced, taken down, and transported to different locations. They are also a major manufacturer of flat rides.

That being said, while Zamperla deserves praise for a 'job well-done,' I, myself, would have been happier to see some of the other companies mentioned above being invited to produce a greater, more exciting diversity of coasters! :lol:

Greedy Alice

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!