Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm

No it doesn’t. That’s not really that uncommon in the industry.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby TheDarkMaxim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Mike240SX wrote:I think everyone is also forgetting the bigger picture: Six Flags did not buy Darien Lake. They bought the rights to operate it. That alone likely severely limits the amount of capital expenditure that is possible, let alone probable.

Probably not, Darien Lake is operated under a triple net lease. This means the operator pays for all capital expenditures in exchange for low rent payments. This is similar to SFOG and SFOT.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby rjr19 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Even if there are no major attractions and unrealistic additions added to the park, or even no rides for years, I will be happy to just see basic improvements to get the park up to the standards it is supposed to be at. Painting Mind Eraser’s god awful looking track, and Viper’s station, getting 2 trains running on Viper and RoS, and just overall better maintenance would be perfect and I honestly would take this over a new ride even if it means no new additions for 5 years. Sure, new rides are what will attract GP to the park, but as it has been said before in this thread, even the GP notice the 1 train operations, and poor maintenance. My GP family from out of town was shocked by the one train ops when they came to visit the park. It doesn’t go unnoticed by them. It needs to be fixed.
Darien Lake is my home park... :?r

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BWALL004 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:05 pm

We’ll see. If you start noticing stuffed Looney Tunes merchandise in the gift shops, SF will probably own it. I remember back in 97. It was an open secret among staff that Six Flags actually owned DL before it became Six Flags Darien Lake.

Again, you want to see bigger crowds. You need “major” attractions. They did it before, they can do it again.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby PATTYCAKES » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 pm

The last year of "old Six Flags" ownership, my family couldn't help but hear the employees say they were very happy that Six Flags was leaving. Sure, Six Flags invested a lot into Superman and the park at first, but then they stopped investing into the park and really cut back on staff and ride operations. Some people seem to forget about the employees rotating into different areas of the park and certain rides being operated at certain times during the day. This was during the Six Flags era. I remember seeing the Bugs Bunny breakfast host in the morning and then seeing her again in the theatre show, and then seeing her again at the character dance party around the fountain. Six Flags really cut back on staff during the last couple of years they owned the park. Even the games were operated by only a couple of employees who would have to move to the games that actually had someone who wanted to play. There were times when the entire kids area was closed due to lack of staff.

Please don't forget that it has taken over 10 years to just start to repair what Six Flags let deteriorate. The last year that Six Flags owned DL, Superman was not operating because the lift chain broke and Six Flags did not want to pay to repair it. Over time, people have forgotten just what Six Flags did to Darien Lake. We can only hope this doesn't happen again.
:mickey:
Last edited by PATTYCAKES on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 pm.

Postby Haymaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 pm

BWALL004 wrote:We’ll see. If you start noticing stuffed Looney Tunes merchandise in the gift shops, SF will probably own it. I remember back in 97. It was an open secret among staff that Six Flags actually owned DL before it became Six Flags Darien Lake.

Again, you want to see bigger crowds. You need “major” attractions. They did it before, they can do it again.

Premier owned it and bought Six Flags so that doesnt make sense...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BWALL004 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Haymaker wrote:
BWALL004 wrote:We’ll see. If you start noticing stuffed Looney Tunes merchandise in the gift shops, SF will probably own it. I remember back in 97. It was an open secret among staff that Six Flags actually owned DL before it became Six Flags Darien Lake.

Premier owned it and bought Six Flags so that doesnt make sense...

When I started in 97, the word was that DL was either owned or being run by Six Flags even though it wasn’t made public.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BWALL004 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 pm

PATTYCAKES wrote:The last year of "old Six Flags" ownership, my family couldn't help but hear the employees say they were very happy that Six Flags was leaving. Sure, Six Flags invested a lot into Superman and the park at first, but then they stopped investing into the park and really cut back on staff and ride operations. Some people seem to forget about the employees rotating into different areas of the park and certain rides being operated at certain times during the day. This was during the Six Flags era. I remember seeing the Bugs Bunny breakfast host in the morning and then seeing her again in the theatre show, and then seeing her again at the character dance party around the fountain. Six Flags really cut back on staff during the last couple of years they owned the park. Even the games were operated by only a couple of employees who would have to move to the games that actually had someone who wanted to play. There were times when the entire kids area was closed due to lack of staff.

Please don't forget that it has taken over 10 years to just start to repair what Six Flags let deteriorate. The last year that Six Flags owned DL, Superman was not operating because the lift chain broke and Six Flags did not want to pay to repair it. Over time, people have forgotten just what Six Flags did to Darien Lake. We can only hope this doesn't happen again.

I can definitely vouch for that. I worked as a bathroom attendant in 97 and 2002. In 97 we might have had 1 or 2 bathrooms to clean. By 2002, it was 4.

Postby PATTYCAKES » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 am

Thank you BWALL. I just found something that makes me think that Darien Lake will indeed be getting a new coaster next year. It will be call Superman : Ride of Steel VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBY5M0bRLfo

Take a look at what Six Flags New England guests have been enjoying since 2016.

I can tell you right now, that my family will be planning a trip to DL next year if they convert Ride of Steel to VR.
This will be an awesome upcharge ride for DL and will make a load of money to help pay for another train.
(Fingers crossed.)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 am

PATTYCAKES wrote:Thank you BWALL. I just found something that makes me think that Darien Lake will indeed be getting a new coaster next year. It will be call Superman : Ride of Steel VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBY5M0bRLfo

Take a look at what Six Flags New England guests have been enjoying since 2016.

I can tell you right now, that my family will be planning a trip to DL next year if they convert Ride of Steel to VR.
This will be an awesome upcharge ride for DL and will make a load of money to help pay for another train.
(Fingers crossed.)

It will also add mega long loading times and more down time.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!