TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Has anyone been to Oktoberfest at Fantasy Island? Started last weekend and runs the next two weekends and was wondering how they pulled it off.

I'll be going on the 23rd. There's a video posted by the park on Facebook that has a nice montage of what they're offering, including shots of the menu boards for both the food and the beer. Hope this helps.

It would appear as though the carload sale is back! Maybe I’m just oblivious but I don’t remember them doing a carload sale since 2008. Who knows. Maybe I’m wrong. Either way, they’ve had quite a few sales for tickets this year. I wonder if any of them have helped boost attendance enough to warrant any sort of “larger” investments in the eyes of the new owners...

It would appear as though the carload sale is back! Maybe I’m just oblivious but I don’t remember them doing a carload sale since 2008. Who knows. Maybe I’m wrong. Either way, they’ve had quite a few sales for tickets this year. I wonder if any of them have helped boost attendance enough to warrant any sort of “larger” investments in the eyes of the new owners...

In my first two ever visits to the park, on August 20th and August 21, there was a line even for the Arrow, Viper, at 11 AM. Park opened at 10 AM Monday morning and there was about a 45 minute wait for the Motocoaster as well.. I was surprised after seeing this park get slammed on this forum so much that the park was packed in very late August.

In my first two ever visits to the park, on August 20th and August 21, there was a line even for the Arrow, Viper, at 11 AM. Park opened at 10 AM Monday morning and there was about a 45 minute wait for the Motocoaster as well.. I was surprised after seeing this park get slammed on this forum so much that the park was packed in very late August.

Never trust this thread when it comes to the quality or popularity of Darien Lake. I’ve defended this park countless times to no avail. It’s got potential and it has some great features! I’ve been lucky enough to visit on the calmer days but busy days are just as fun if you play your cards right! Of course, it all depends on the crowd unfortunately. Sometimes concerts attract a rowdy bunch. But that’s the good thing. When the concert starts, the rowdy bunches leave to the PAC!

What is said on the internet is definitely not what happens in real life. I have been to parks with negative online comments, and my opinion is people should not have access to the ability to review a business unless they can somehow prove they have actually been there. Families will continue to visit DL because its DL and every kid wants to go at least once per summer. Think about it, we have no way of verifying these reviews, and some people are slamming parks that they have never been to just for the sake of it. Some people are also writing utterly ridiculous things in reviews and on facebook pages. Fantasy island seemed to have good attendance this summer, even though they got utterly SLAMMED in reviews and on facebook for everything you can possibly imagine including things like "I had to wrap the wristband around the child's wrist 4x .... park rating 2 out of 10...." There are weeds growing between the sidewalk panels.. total park score... 1 out of 10.... those kind of things.. plus the past history of the park that has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on there today and there are like 1-3 rides left there that are from the park's past. The Erie County fair charges more for rides than every area park yet attendance was up 21% and the rides were grossing the highest amount they ever have, which tells me that people don't care if you raise prices, they won't stop paying it, for those that stop paying it... there is another person paying it. I do not think these reviews have as much weight in actual numbers as we think they do. I am not getting started on Marineland, but I went this summer and had the most fabulous time I ever had at a theme park in my life... despite less than stellar reviews and the place was very busy.

I have to believe these reviews are not directly affecting business at these parks, or else changes would have to be made at the parks that corroborate with what reviewers have been saying.. or if it was that dire, no one would come to the park and the park would close (but I think this is a very rare situation). If the park continues to make money, they will keep operating, despite 1000 online reviews saying the place is on the brink of closure....

What is said on the internet is definitely not what happens in real life. I have been to parks with negative online comments, and my opinion is people should not have access to the ability to review a business unless they can somehow prove they have actually been there. Families will continue to visit DL because its DL and every kid wants to go at least once per summer. Think about it, we have no way of verifying these reviews, and some people are slamming parks that they have never been to just for the sake of it. Some people are also writing utterly ridiculous things in reviews and on facebook pages. Fantasy island seemed to have good attendance this summer, even though they got utterly SLAMMED in reviews and on facebook for everything you can possibly imagine including things like "I had to wrap the wristband around the child's wrist 4x .... park rating 2 out of 10...." There are weeds growing between the sidewalk panels.. total park score... 1 out of 10.... those kind of things.. plus the past history of the park that has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on there today and there are like 1-3 rides left there that are from the park's past. The Erie County fair charges more for rides than every area park yet attendance was up 21% and the rides were grossing the highest amount they ever have, which tells me that people don't care if you raise prices, they won't stop paying it, for those that stop paying it... there is another person paying it. I do not think these reviews have as much weight in actual numbers as we think they do. I am not getting started on Marineland, but I went this summer and had the most fabulous time I ever had at a theme park in my life... despite less than stellar reviews and the place was very busy.

I have to believe these reviews are not directly affecting business at these parks, or else changes would have to be made at the parks that corroborate with what reviewers have been saying.. or if it was that dire, no one would come to the park and the park would close (but I think this is a very rare situation). If the park continues to make money, they will keep operating, despite 1000 online reviews saying the place is on the brink of closure....

So.. Are you telling us we can't trust the internet?

People leave bad reviews to get free stuff.

I don't think the terrible reviews are because of unknowledge. DL is a decent park. I think these reviews are coming from people who grew up at the park maybe 10 years ago or so, and are disappointed in how the park's operations have gone totally downhill.

I'm sure that many of these people went here during the late 1990s-Six Flags era and remember when this place used to have steady additions (ME in 97, Boomerang in 98, ROS in 99...), and would consistently run multiple trains on all of their coasters. These reviewers are probably looking back at that time period in the parks history, and are disappointed to see the coasters all running with one train, which makes all the lines here absolutely horrendous, with no sight of two-train operations anywhere in the near future, as well as the fact that there was no new ride at the dry or water park, but they got two new games: one a success and the other a complete failure that was only open around twice the entire season. These new rides are how the place can get people from out of town, and Canadians to come to DL, and I think that not getting any new ride is really hurting them.

Also, these people can definitely remember the years of Fright Fest, and DL staying open until late October. I'm sure when people who haven't been to DL in a while will be a bit disappointed about their shorter operating schedule. Even FANTASY ISLAND is beating the park with that this year...FI is having an "Oktoberfest" this fall, staying open until late October, but DL isn't.

Another item to be considered as an issue at DL is their maintenance department. I don't think that I have ever been to another amusement park that has so many closed rides, or breakdowns on open rides. When I'm at DL, it seems to be just one breakdown after another. I have also heard numerous people saying that they don't feel very safe on some rides, especially coasters, saying that the shaking, rattling and roughness feel unsafe, and I can say that it is absolutely unacceptable for the ROS train, that is only A YEAR OLD to be riding so rough already. It seems as if DL's maintenance team just loves to destroy roller coaster trains, instead of repairing them.

Event though DL is a decent park, changing even a few things about their operations can reform the reputation of the place. For example, staying open later in the year, running two trains on coasters again (admit it... it's needed), lights on Giant Wheel, better maintenance, and some new paint here and there would go a VERY long way into giving the park much better feedback, and getting better attendance to the park. Even though a new ride (or coaster) would be amazing for DL, I think it's safe to say that improving the rides and infrastructure that is literally falling apart, should be addressed first, to better improve the park.

I don't think the terrible reviews are because of unknowledge. DL is a decent park. I think these reviews are coming from people who grew up at the park maybe 10 years ago or so, and are disappointed in how the park's operations have gone totally downhill.

I'm sure that many of these people went here during the late 1990s-Six Flags era and remember when this place used to have steady additions (ME in 97, Boomerang in 98, ROS in 99...), and would consistently run multiple trains on all of their coasters. These reviewers are probably looking back at that time period in the parks history, and are disappointed to see the coasters all running with one train, which makes all the lines here absolutely horrendous, with no sight of two-train operations anywhere in the near future, as well as the fact that there was no new ride at the dry or water park, but they got two new games: one a success and the other a complete failure that was only open around twice the entire season. These new rides are how the place can get people from out of town, and Canadians to come to DL, and I think that not getting any new ride is really hurting them.

Also, these people can definitely remember the years of Fright Fest, and DL staying open until late October. I'm sure when people who haven't been to DL in a while will be a bit disappointed about their shorter operating schedule. Even FANTASY ISLAND is beating the park with that this year...FI is having an "Oktoberfest" this fall, staying open until late October, but DL isn't.

Another item to be considered as an issue at DL is their maintenance department. I don't think that I have ever been to another amusement park that has so many closed rides, or breakdowns on open rides. When I'm at DL, it seems to be just one breakdown after another. I have also heard numerous people saying that they don't feel very safe on some rides, especially coasters, saying that the shaking, rattling and roughness feel unsafe, and I can say that it is absolutely unacceptable for the ROS train, that is only A YEAR OLD to be riding so rough already. It seems as if DL's maintenance team just loves to destroy roller coaster trains, instead of repairing them.

Event though DL is a decent park, changing even a few things about their operations can reform the reputation of the place. For example, staying open later in the year, running two trains on coasters again (admit it... it's needed), lights on Giant Wheel, better maintenance, and some new paint here and there would go a VERY long way into giving the park much better feedback, and getting better attendance to the park. Even though a new ride (or coaster) would be amazing for DL, I think it's safe to say that improving the rides and infrastructure that is literally falling apart, should be addressed first, to better improve the park.

I didn't specifically mean negative reviews of Darien but in general, some people are making stupid comments that have no relevance in online reviews in general, such as "there are weeds growing between the sidewalks" then give the park a low score because of something that has no bearing on the reviewers enjoyment of the park. I do not know what to say to a person who let's something like that affect their enjoyment of a park. I have also seen positive reviews posted with a negative star rating.. which I don't understand... I am also referring to people who clearly have not been to the place who write a review anyways just to slam a business (any business) or park for no good reason. These reviews seem to have a follow the herd mentality, when one person slams a business the rest follow. I have no problem with constructive criticism of any business as you demonstrated from someone who has actually been there and let's face it as you say DL is far from perfect. For example I walked into Planet Hollywood on Clifton Hill last year and had a horrible experience, apparently so did everyone else and now the place is closed, so reviews can be accurate sometimes.

I have written bad reviews before with constructive criticism, and I have never been contacted or given something for free.

I feel like it seems like DL never recovered from the maintenance nightmare it was during the six flags era, SF ran the park to the ground and the effects are lasting. I cannot explain the issues with the new ROS train or the issues with rolling Thunder as those are new. I do not want to blame the maintenance staff or anyone else for this as I don't work there and I do not know if it's the maintenance staff or the Park's refusal to provide the parts and the necessary equipment to fix and maintain the rides correctly, you can only do so much if there is no budget and the park doesn't give the resources... Sadly I have heard of situations like this at parks and other businesses where the staff wants to fix things but they cannot because there are no parts and the corporation doesn't give the resources to fix it properly because a patch job or quick fix is cheaper.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I am not slamming the park for dumb items, such as weeds growing and in the sidewalks... I have seen that at Cedar Point last year when I was there even. I think that DL is a decent park, and that it has the potential to be a great park... that is, if small items are addressed within the place. I can agree that maintenance has improved since the Six Flags era, but there are new issues arising within the maintenance department. These issues include the consistent mechanical failures on the rides, and the treatment of new rides, such as Rolling Thunder’s constant closures at age two, and the new ROS train from last year, that is already shaking and riding pretty rough. The only other change that I think is needed here to boost guests’ experiences would be second trains on coaster. Other improvements would be nice, but aren’t needed. The place isn’t too bad, just a few maintenance and coaster operations fixes would make this place much more enjoyable. Also, after messaging the park on their Facebook, it seems as if two train ops may be a possibility for next year...

3DAD4D51-2A83-44F7-9AB4-B23F4031EA11.jpeg.c314f070e7af197a95d64e3bc5af224c.jpeg

The park’s answer to the mention of two trains for 2018... it might be closer than we expected.

I would point out that what was said was that it would be a topic of discussion for next year's planning session. That does not guarantee anything. And if they do purchase new trains for all the coasters, that would probably blow the budget for new rides, so we most likely would go another year without a new ride

^ I wouldn't call someone that has over 11,000 posts on TPR a troll.

A lot of us like to check out this train wreck of a thread whenever we feel like we need a good laugh, eye roll....or feel like chugging some alcohol because of how many truly dumb posts are in here. There are some good posters on this thread, but there is also a lot more complaining, whining with an abundance of ridiculously idiotic posts that are annoying to the point where they are almost comical.

Seriously, it's bad enough that western NY is famous for our Bills fans that do a lot of really stupid sh#t during tailgating or at the games...but this thread probably makes a lot of people think that there are an exceedingly bunch of morons that live on this end of the state.

^ I'm not sure if I understand what you are referencing?

If you're referring to Bill, I hardly think that he is a troll. He brings good things to the forums and tells it like it is, which is a breath of fresh air compared to what I see from a lot of posters on here and posts from members of other social media sites.

Edit - And he just did an epic and massive trip report from parks all over the country (not just Six Flags). I know from experience that this takes a lot of work for very little reward...

Link

Edited by Philrad71

Oh god dammit, what did I start?

All I was trying to say was that I don't think it's a good look for the enthusiast community for people to be messaging parks and going line item by line item about everything they don't like about the park. This rumor about second trains being added to rides comes up every single year and it never happens. Darien Lake is clearly on a budget. I'm sure they know there are plenty of expensive things they could do to improve the park and I'm sure they would if they were in a position to do so.

As it stands, it's a nice park for what it is but try to keep your expectations realistic.