Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Pg 624: Eurofighter to replace crappy log flume in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby ride of steel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Here they are! Pick one
IMG_20170908_131132_processed.jpg
IMG_20170908_131214_processed.jpg
IMG_20170908_131239_processed.jpg
IMG_20170908_131322_processed.jpg
IMG_20170908_133721_e.png

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ride of steel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Anyone been to harvest fest?
Last edited by ride of steel on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:43 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 am

Has anyone been to Oktoberfest at Fantasy Island? Started last weekend and runs the next two weekends and was wondering how they pulled it off.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Location: Crystal Beach, Ontario circa 1969 via the Wabac Machine

Postby Mr.Peabody » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:32 am

Geauga Dog wrote:Has anyone been to Oktoberfest at Fantasy Island? Started last weekend and runs the next two weekends and was wondering how they pulled it off.

I'll be going on the 23rd. There's a video posted by the park on Facebook that has a nice montage of what they're offering, including shots of the menu boards for both the food and the beer. Hope this helps.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby SbSteveZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 am

It would appear as though the carload sale is back! Maybe I’m just oblivious but I don’t remember them doing a carload sale since 2008. Who knows. Maybe I’m wrong. Either way, they’ve had quite a few sales for tickets this year. I wonder if any of them have helped boost attendance enough to warrant any sort of “larger” investments in the eyes of the new owners...
Total Coasters: 80 Total Steel: 68 Total Wood: 12
Last Coaster: Valravn @ Cedar Point
80TH COASTER: The Beast @ Kings Island
RIDE ON!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby jconsolmagno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 am

SbSteveZ wrote:It would appear as though the carload sale is back! Maybe I’m just oblivious but I don’t remember them doing a carload sale since 2008. Who knows. Maybe I’m wrong. Either way, they’ve had quite a few sales for tickets this year. I wonder if any of them have helped boost attendance enough to warrant any sort of “larger” investments in the eyes of the new owners...

In my first two ever visits to the park, on August 20th and August 21, there was a line even for the Arrow, Viper, at 11 AM. Park opened at 10 AM Monday morning and there was about a 45 minute wait for the Motocoaster as well.. I was surprised after seeing this park get slammed on this forum so much that the park was packed in very late August.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby SbSteveZ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:06 pm

jconsolmagno wrote:
SbSteveZ wrote:It would appear as though the carload sale is back! Maybe I’m just oblivious but I don’t remember them doing a carload sale since 2008. Who knows. Maybe I’m wrong. Either way, they’ve had quite a few sales for tickets this year. I wonder if any of them have helped boost attendance enough to warrant any sort of “larger” investments in the eyes of the new owners...

In my first two ever visits to the park, on August 20th and August 21, there was a line even for the Arrow, Viper, at 11 AM. Park opened at 10 AM Monday morning and there was about a 45 minute wait for the Motocoaster as well.. I was surprised after seeing this park get slammed on this forum so much that the park was packed in very late August.

Never trust this thread when it comes to the quality or popularity of Darien Lake. I’ve defended this park countless times to no avail. It’s got potential and it has some great features! I’ve been lucky enough to visit on the calmer days but busy days are just as fun if you play your cards right! Of course, it all depends on the crowd unfortunately. Sometimes concerts attract a rowdy bunch. But that’s the good thing. When the concert starts, the rowdy bunches leave to the PAC! :b
Total Coasters: 80 Total Steel: 68 Total Wood: 12
Last Coaster: Valravn @ Cedar Point
80TH COASTER: The Beast @ Kings Island
RIDE ON!

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby SaraAB87 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 pm

What is said on the internet is definitely not what happens in real life. I have been to parks with negative online comments, and my opinion is people should not have access to the ability to review a business unless they can somehow prove they have actually been there. Families will continue to visit DL because its DL and every kid wants to go at least once per summer. Think about it, we have no way of verifying these reviews, and some people are slamming parks that they have never been to just for the sake of it. Some people are also writing utterly ridiculous things in reviews and on facebook pages. Fantasy island seemed to have good attendance this summer, even though they got utterly SLAMMED in reviews and on facebook for everything you can possibly imagine including things like "I had to wrap the wristband around the child's wrist 4x .... park rating 2 out of 10...." There are weeds growing between the sidewalk panels.. total park score... 1 out of 10.... those kind of things.. plus the past history of the park that has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on there today and there are like 1-3 rides left there that are from the park's past. The Erie County fair charges more for rides than every area park yet attendance was up 21% and the rides were grossing the highest amount they ever have, which tells me that people don't care if you raise prices, they won't stop paying it, for those that stop paying it... there is another person paying it. I do not think these reviews have as much weight in actual numbers as we think they do. I am not getting started on Marineland, but I went this summer and had the most fabulous time I ever had at a theme park in my life... despite less than stellar reviews and the place was very busy.

I have to believe these reviews are not directly affecting business at these parks, or else changes would have to be made at the parks that corroborate with what reviewers have been saying.. or if it was that dire, no one would come to the park and the park would close (but I think this is a very rare situation). If the park continues to make money, they will keep operating, despite 1000 online reviews saying the place is on the brink of closure....

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby julioot » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:49 am

SaraAB87 wrote:What is said on the internet is definitely not what happens in real life. I have been to parks with negative online comments, and my opinion is people should not have access to the ability to review a business unless they can somehow prove they have actually been there. Families will continue to visit DL because its DL and every kid wants to go at least once per summer. Think about it, we have no way of verifying these reviews, and some people are slamming parks that they have never been to just for the sake of it. Some people are also writing utterly ridiculous things in reviews and on facebook pages. Fantasy island seemed to have good attendance this summer, even though they got utterly SLAMMED in reviews and on facebook for everything you can possibly imagine including things like "I had to wrap the wristband around the child's wrist 4x .... park rating 2 out of 10...." There are weeds growing between the sidewalk panels.. total park score... 1 out of 10.... those kind of things.. plus the past history of the park that has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on there today and there are like 1-3 rides left there that are from the park's past. The Erie County fair charges more for rides than every area park yet attendance was up 21% and the rides were grossing the highest amount they ever have, which tells me that people don't care if you raise prices, they won't stop paying it, for those that stop paying it... there is another person paying it. I do not think these reviews have as much weight in actual numbers as we think they do. I am not getting started on Marineland, but I went this summer and had the most fabulous time I ever had at a theme park in my life... despite less than stellar reviews and the place was very busy.

I have to believe these reviews are not directly affecting business at these parks, or else changes would have to be made at the parks that corroborate with what reviewers have been saying.. or if it was that dire, no one would come to the park and the park would close (but I think this is a very rare situation). If the park continues to make money, they will keep operating, despite 1000 online reviews saying the place is on the brink of closure....

So.. Are you telling us we can't trust the internet?

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Haymaker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 am

SaraAB87 wrote:What is said on the internet is definitely not what happens in real life. I have been to parks with negative online comments, and my opinion is people should not have access to the ability to review a business unless they can somehow prove they have actually been there. Families will continue to visit DL because its DL and every kid wants to go at least once per summer. Think about it, we have no way of verifying these reviews, and some people are slamming parks that they have never been to just for the sake of it. Some people are also writing utterly ridiculous things in reviews and on facebook pages. Fantasy island seemed to have good attendance this summer, even though they got utterly SLAMMED in reviews and on facebook for everything you can possibly imagine including things like "I had to wrap the wristband around the child's wrist 4x .... park rating 2 out of 10...." There are weeds growing between the sidewalk panels.. total park score... 1 out of 10.... those kind of things.. plus the past history of the park that has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on there today and there are like 1-3 rides left there that are from the park's past. The Erie County fair charges more for rides than every area park yet attendance was up 21% and the rides were grossing the highest amount they ever have, which tells me that people don't care if you raise prices, they won't stop paying it, for those that stop paying it... there is another person paying it. I do not think these reviews have as much weight in actual numbers as we think they do. I am not getting started on Marineland, but I went this summer and had the most fabulous time I ever had at a theme park in my life... despite less than stellar reviews and the place was very busy.

People leave bad reviews to get free stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!