TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Now this is just completely pathetic: I was looking at Fantasy Island's days of operation for this season, and I found that they will be open much later than DL this year. I don't get what's up with DL and downsizing themselves , ending Fright Fest, but it looks like they are getting beat by Fantasy Island, which I never thought would happen.

If those events were making money they would keep them and or expand them. The ROI must be poor on staying open more days.

I went to FI this summer and I had a great time even though there was light rain. It seems they have more rides than they did years ago, and there is a lot to do in the park if you do everything. The big change is that they do not allow food or drink other than snacks for small children in clear bags and bottles of water, no other beverages allowed. FI is also selling next years season passes for $34.99 when you buy 3 or more, you also get the rest of 2017. That's a whole summer and more of fun for less than one weekend ride day at the Erie county Fair!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Mrs. Peabody and I are planning on getting season passes for Fantasy Island for next year. I've learned that they're no longer practicing the draconian "no hands" lap bar policy, so hopefully they're getting the Silver Comet turned around in less than five minutes for a change. Now, if they'd allow the Crazy Mouse to run with two adults in a car that would be perfect.

Mrs. Peabody and I are planning on getting season passes for Fantasy Island for next year. I've learned that they're no longer practicing the draconian "no hands" lap bar policy, so hopefully they're getting the Silver Comet turned around in less than five minutes for a change. Now, if they'd allow the Crazy Mouse to run with two adults in a car that would be perfect.

As far as I could tell, I was there on a slow day there was no weird lapbar policies on the silver comet, you can also wear glasses with a strap which I heard they did not allow before, and I am sure some people were wearing them without a strap. The train was going out at a fine pace, though I don't pay too much attention to these things. They may also do a re-ride if the station is empty, we got a re-ride one time, again very slow day. Everyone put their lapbar and seatbelt on themselves, the seatbelts are more than long enough as I had about 12 inches in it and that is a lot. They do check the lapbar and seatbelt. As far as I could see there was no restriction on the mouse coaster in regards to adults, we had 3 adults all over 200lbs each in one car. You put the heaviest adult on the inside and the lightest on the outside and you can get it spinning like crazy. They operate most rides when its raining and they are now not closed on days with light rain. I was there in the light rain and most stuff was running, they just shut a few rides down when the rain got a bit heavy but they opened right up again as soon as it slowed up. They will close rides if lightning is near, but so will every other park. They have a weather guarantee as well, so if you get rained out its no worries.

Again the big change is no food or drink allowed in the park other than a bottle of water, you can still enter and re-enter to eat elsewhere or from your car.

What ever happened to a second train being put on Viper this year? Focusing on the Twister rehab is not an excuse this year. Also, I am starting to get the feeling that ROS isn't getting a second new train next year, as well as two- train ops on anything for 2018.

I know this gets old, but SFNE is scheduled to go to their planning board this week for their new ride. It is probably about time for DL to do similar if they are adding a new ride next year. Does the town of Darien put their meeting agenda and notes Online? When are their meetings usually held?

So Doug works at Fantasy Island now... Looks like everyone is shifting from the lake to the island..

Doug is everyone? He didnt go from DL to FI, there was another stop in between. Looks to be a promotion vs. a lateral too.

I know this gets old, but SFNE is scheduled to go to their planning board this week for their new ride. It is probably about time for DL to do similar if they are adding a new ride next year. Does the town of Darien put their meeting agenda and notes Online? When are their meetings usually held?

Historically - at least over the past few years - they haven’t gone to the planning board until January or so. Granted, the past handful of additions have all been small.

So Doug works at Fantasy Island now... Looks like everyone is shifting from the lake to the island..

Doug is everyone? He didnt go from DL to FI, there was another stop in between. Looks to be a promotion vs. a lateral too.

Yeah, but my point is that more positive and interesting things are heading towards Fantasy Idlands way.

Yeah, but my point is that more positive and interesting things are heading towards Fantasy Idlands way.

Like what?

I know it isn't very reliable, but I have two friends who are ride ops at FI and both of them told me that a new floorless coaster is coming to the back of the park in the next few years.

I know it isn't very reliable, but I have two friends who are ride ops at FI and both of them told me that a new floorless coaster is coming to the back of the park in the next few years.

So like a x car? Because there's no room for a B&M floorless, Unless it's like hydra.

It would be a long shot but a Mack Big Dipper like Lost Gravity at Walibi Holland would fit the floor less category and be compact enough to fit.

I honestly don't know what type it could be, because both of them aren't enthusiasts at all. When I asked them what they meant with floorless, they didn't know, all they were told apparently was that is is floorless. To them, an SLC could be considered floorless.

Went to Darien for NRD. And watched all the parks announce their rides, while waiting on Dariens announcement. Spolier it didn't come. But I ride viper and got a new shirt on sale, and had the worst ride of my life on pretador. Here's my thing, I never thought that ride was never as rough as people say, but today I understand oh yes I do, that thing was horrible. Ride Of Steel was running smooth as ever...and intense. Boomerang also was bearable. Thing is they had us park in overflow but no one was there RoS was a walk on in 2nd to last. Oh and I did slingshot for the 3rd time. There was this little girl on blast off it was her first time on and she had a blast. *Ba dum tsss* Yeah so it was fun and really quiet.

Edit: 600 pages I remember it was so young at 500

Sure sounds like Fantasy Island is really trying to compete with Darien Lake. Keep in mind that it's closer to the border so they could steal a lot of the regular Canadian customers in the future if they are smart with their investments and Darien Lake is not.

Silver Bullet is probably done for the rest of the year and it's very possible that Strike-U-Up will not open up at all the rest of the year. I'm not an attractions attendant, but I haven't seen many people playing it and they're not going to pay someone to work it when it doesn't make money. Let's just say that attraction was a big mistake!

After seeing the new additions coming to Cedar Point and Canada's Wonderland next year, I'm seriously considering buying a Platinum Pass.

Went to the park last night after dinner and it was sad as ever. When we got there the only 2 coasters running were boomerang and Motocoaster. I saw predator make one run, ROS and ME 2 runs each before we left at 9:30. Viper did start to run regularly around 7. On top of that, silver bullet and twister were both down as well. The pirate had most of the lights taken out and they were not on at all. Not exactly sure what is going on, but hopefully this is all part of a much larger renovation plan.

This place is starting to get rediculous, Twister was renovated last year and it has already been down the last month now, Silver Bullet has been open approximately 3 times all year, no new ride, and multiple coasters closed. I'm on darienlake2648's side, considering driving the extra hours for CW and CP with a platinum pass, because I am starting to get the hunch that there will be nothing new worth noting next year as well as no second trains, including no purchase of the second new ROS train. Rant over.

Darien is run by Premier who owns Clementon, which doesn't instill much faith for me.

When I visited the park in 2010, I thought it was just ok but at least everything was running. Only major negative was one train ops on Ride of Steel despite a consistent 45-60 minute queue.