TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I'm not here to start a rumor so please, don't take this out of context and run with it like this means it will happen. IDK if it will.

Anyways, RMC posted pictures of RMC raptor track being manufactured in their plant. How likely is it that this will go to Darien Lake? Does it seem like the coaster that would fit in the park? Any other parks more likely to receive it?

I'm not here to start a rumor so please, don't take this out of context and run with it like this means it will happen. IDK if it will.

Anyways, RMC posted pictures of RMC raptor track being manufactured in their plant. How likely is it that this will go to Darien Lake? Does it seem like the coaster that would fit in the park? Any other parks more likely to receive it?

well you have two options : one is to put it in cuda falls,or remove the go karts wich would be unlikely because of the noise that raptor track would make, or build it in the employee parking that nobody uses because everyone camps in the rentals because darien lake is in the middle of nowhere and no one wants to drive there and back every morning and night.ahem*deer*ahem

But that's the only thing you've done in this thread since becoming a member.

("I want to entertain myself by posting a bulls**t rumor on here and see how people react. Is that a good idea?" "IDK.... uhh... why not?")

Anyone ever think that Darien Lake is going small this year to save up for something large in 2018?

Anyone wanna make B&M rumors now?

Hey guys, if we're not getting anything, then let's resurrect tha Batman stand up rumor again and pretend that Darien Lake is going to bring it back somehow and throw logic out the window! On top of that, let's also start a rumor involving Darien Lake getting another Intamin mega coaster that will race Ride Of Steel and getting an inverted RMC hyprid that will be the first coaster in the world to show onride anime on holographic projections built into the trains

More thoughts on the rumor about the relocation of Kanonen to Dairen Lake?

It is possible that Darien Lake bought Liseberg's recently defunct Kanonen launch coaster. It may replace the barely profiting go karts they have next to Twister. I did a bit of research myself and it fits perectly into that plot of land. #Kanonenfor2017 / #Kanonenfor2018

See? If Frontier City is getting something, then I'm sure Darien Lake will too.

What is more likely, Darien Lake getting a Skyrocket 2 model or a clone of the Kennywood SKyrocket from Premier?

Not to mention I've given you a pass on a couple of borderline rumors, including the Sherwin Williams Ride of Steel fiasco and asking 5 times what's new for 2017. If you're "not trying to start a rumor", please don't say anything, it is really just worsening the quality of this thread that's already stereotypically bad in most members' eyes.

But that's the only thing you've done in this thread since becoming a member.

("I want to entertain myself by posting a bulls**t rumor on here and see how people react. Is that a good idea?" "IDK.... uhh... why not?")

Anyone ever think that Darien Lake is going small this year to save up for something large in 2018?

Anyone wanna make B&M rumors now?

Hey guys, if we're not getting anything, then let's resurrect tha Batman stand up rumor again and pretend that Darien Lake is going to bring it back somehow and throw logic out the window! On top of that, let's also start a rumor involving Darien Lake getting another Intamin mega coaster that will race Ride Of Steel and getting an inverted RMC hyprid that will be the first coaster in the world to show onride anime on holographic projections built into the trains

More thoughts on the rumor about the relocation of Kanonen to Dairen Lake?

It is possible that Darien Lake bought Liseberg's recently defunct Kanonen launch coaster. It may replace the barely profiting go karts they have next to Twister. I did a bit of research myself and it fits perectly into that plot of land. #Kanonenfor2017 / #Kanonenfor2018

See? If Frontier City is getting something, then I'm sure Darien Lake will too.

What is more likely, Darien Lake getting a Skyrocket 2 model or a clone of the Kennywood SKyrocket from Premier?

Not to mention I've given you a pass on a couple of borderline rumors, including the Sherwin Williams Ride of Steel fiasco and asking 5 times what's new for 2017. If you're "not trying to start a rumor", please don't say anything, it is really just worsening the quality of this thread that's already stereotypically bad in most members' eyes.

tenor.gif

Thank you for alerting me to the crap going on in this thread. Basically just going to ban EVERYONE being annoying. The people who posted this crap to begin with and the people who felt the need to re-post it. Neither of you are helping improve the quality of this forum.

I am pretty sure a good number of rides were re-named when they branded to Six Flags. Some names went back to the originals like Corn Popper ND some stuck like Lasso. I think this was when Silver Bullet came to be as I think it was just called Enterprise before that

I am pretty sure a good number of rides were re-named when they branded to Six Flags. Some names went back to the originals like Corn Popper ND some stuck like Lasso. I think this was when Silver Bullet came to be as I think it was just called Enterprise before that

Thanks for the info.

The ride renames came sometime in the mid to late 90's (95 or 96?) When Premier Parks (pre Six Flags) was trying to give Darien Lake more of a theme I believe. Yes "Silver Bullet" was formerly named "Spinning Wheel", "Corn Popper" had been renamed "Rodeo Roundup" but that changed back, and the former "Raging Seas" was originally named "Sea Storm." I want to say the old "Crazy Quilt" was renamed before it was removed but I can't remember what they renamed it to. Lasso was moved into the Crazy Quilt's spot in 1999 when the park becamed Six Flags Darien Lake.

Darien is my former home park and I haven't been since 2006. Will be heading back to Buffalo next weekend to visit family, so I'm finally going to head to the park again on opening day. Looking forward to seeing all the changes. I hear the park is finally somewhat moving forward!

The ride renames came sometime in the mid to late 90's (95 or 96?) When Premier Parks (pre Six Flags) was trying to give Darien Lake more of a theme I believe. Yes "Silver Bullet" was formerly named "Spinning Wheel", "Corn Popper" had been renamed "Rodeo Roundup" but that changed back, and the former "Raging Seas" was originally named "Sea Storm." I want to say the old "Crazy Quilt" was renamed before it was removed but I can't remember what they renamed it to. Lasso was moved into the Crazy Quilt's spot in 1999 when the park becamed Six Flags Darien Lake.

Darien is my former home park and I haven't been since 2006. Will be heading back to Buffalo next weekend to visit family, so I'm finally going to head to the park again on opening day. Looking forward to seeing all the changes. I hear the park is finally somewhat moving forward! [/quote/] I couldn't figure out what rodeo round up was! I thought it was ufo because at the not so nearby Wyoming County fair that's the name of their toned down version of it. And again, Thanks for the info.

I just calculated how much it would cost to repaint Ride Of Steel. It would take about 62 gallons of paint the track and about another 60 to paint the supports. So, assuming they are using Sherwin Williams brand paint, it is $45 per gallon. So, 45 multiplied by 122 is 5,490. Thus it will cost $5,490 to repaint Ride Of Steel.

It's your lucky day! I cracked up laughing at this because it's an actual contest...

Guess how much paint it takes to paint the coaster and win a prize!

So how's the weather going over in Darien for opening day? I decided to wait until next weekend because of the weather. Also, how are the new games? Did anybody try them out yet?

They did post to their Instagram account that a good number of people came to process their season pass. They also showed the front gate, and there was not many people to be seen. I will not be going this weekend or next. The weather has to get better before I go, as riding any type of ride in cold and rain is not fun

They did post to their Instagram account that a good number of people came to process their season pass. They also showed the front gate, and there was not many people to be seen. I will not be going this weekend or next. The weather has to get better before I go, as riding any type of ride in cold and rain is not fun

In find getting pelted with water while on rolling thunder soothing.

Darien Lake Opening Day 2017

On this cold and wet Saturday Morning I decided to venture out to "New York's Roller Coaster Capital" to see what's new and receive the extra benefits of Season Pass appreciation day!

Notes:

- 5 of the 7 coasters were operational while I was there. Ride of Steel and Hoot-N-Holler were both closed, one due to staffing, the other one, I'm assuming for weather.

- Silver Bullet, Giant Wheel, Corn Popper, Twister, Rolling Thunder, and the park's 3 water rides (Grizzly Bear Run, Thunder Rapids and Shipwreak Falls) were also closed

- From the little I saw while I was there, there were a ton of in-park improvements that made the place look a little cleaner and more professional (See below)

- Pepsi as I'm sure everyone here has seen is officially the new Soft Beverage provider for Darien Lake. There are new pop machines, umbrellas, and of course beverage dispensers within the restaurants all over the park. The blue Pepsi umbrellas looked a little goofy over on the boardwalk but thats just me

- Boomerang seemed to be moving up the reverse lift at a normal pace this morning, which leads me to believe that they fixed it over the off season. Though I could have just been imagining things, the catch car seemed to get to the train a lot faster than last year and it felt like we reached the top a lot quicker as well (Last year I recorded the lift and it took about 1:02 for it to reach the top. I may need to repeat this procedure next time I visit to see if there really have been any improvements)

- I'm not sure how common it is on opening day, but apparently (according to a Mind Eraser operator), a lot of park staff were training today to operate the rides that were closed to the public. right before the rope dropped, there was a large group of kids (probably between 15-17) heading towards splashtown. I'd imagine for a training of some sort but who knows

-Twister is still SBNO - as of now. It looks like they were in fact working on it still, and it is still on the map which hopefully is a good sign!

In Park Events:

May 27th - Sofia Carson with Jacob Whitesides Free Concert

June 10th - Color Me Rad 5K

June 17th & 18th - Father's Day Weekend Carshow and Beer Festival

June 24th - Forever in your Mind Free Concert

June 29th - Viper's 35th Anniversary Celebration

July 1st - R5 Free Concert

July 26th-29th - Kingdom Bound

September 16th - October 1st - Harvest Fest

September 23rd - Mud Fun Rock-N-Run

New in 2017:

Strike-U-Up - Located Near old putt-putt entrance

SlapShot - Located behind Bear Valley Bumper Buggies

Pepsi - New official soft drink of Darien Lake

Daredevil Season Pass Upgrade - $55 on top of Season Pass purchase - Ride one upcharge attraction at no cost once per visit

Jo's Eatery - New food options (Pulled Pork and some other goodies)

and probably more that I have since forgotten!

Pictures:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a485e8d942c7579baea488ce8ef4b42a.jpg

Each Season Pass holder upon entry was given a pamphlet with a physical "Bring-a-friend free" pass and instructions on how all other season pass benefits were to be distributed this season (now, most of the benefits are electronically on your season pass, so there is no more need for a coupon book!)

IMG_4927.thumb.JPG.794a82af8a89dad8be4bcf22e90ade57.JPG

Unsure of how the SP processing line would be, we got to the park a little early (around 10:00am)

IMG_4928.thumb.JPG.fb6c9b4ede4d34f36158052c6b9b4260.JPG

First glimpse at what's been updated this year - right as we walked in we saw that Sling Shot got new signage!

IMG_4930.thumb.JPG.84fc1efb06b2442f23150b27c49acd59.JPG

New in 2017 - Darien Lake Photos! I'm assuming this will be similar to how Cedar Point has photo crews at the front of the gate to take your picture - but since it was raining and cold, we weren't able to find out.

IMG_4931.thumb.JPG.ececf3599e7734f71a20bad0b9d8702e.JPG

Viper is the main focus of a lot of the park's signage this year! Who would've thought a 35th anniversary could be such a big deal? (I'm a huge fan :) )

IMG_4932.thumb.JPG.9b88dd8dbf73733dc113f6067ca761df.JPG

Ride of Steel was down for the duration of the time I was there. The water dummies were inside of the station and there were no ride-ops to be seen, however, you could tell they were doing their best to do whatever they could to get the ride up and running for the new season!

IMG_4933.thumb.JPG.fc6a10a8c185ff274c005ad770ec7576.JPG

one of the many spots where they have new vending machines

IMG_4934.thumb.JPG.10a8e701954772454757cdcd218123ee.JPG

I noticed this the second I saw it, Boomerang's sign was freshly painted for the new season! Looks nice, eh?

IMG_4935.thumb.JPG.28cac7bfac3f1e1d0eda473e9243569f.JPG

IMG_4937.thumb.JPG.5b62cf82767def2efe767f9ccb37f415.JPG

Motocoaster as always was a fun little ride, Look at that nice jumble of steel!

IMG_4939.thumb.JPG.61506797011d14ebe1245424cc2756c2.JPG

This was an interesting development. The gate by the Motocoaster was open. I'm not so sure this will last all season, but we shall see soon enough (sure beats walking all the way around to get to the resort gate!

IMG_4942.thumb.JPG.d2354be31bf6cb508d4c0e92249c2c61.JPG

Talk about crazy. This is one of the only times I've ever seen the Tin Lizzy's queue empty! It was so nice to not have to wait 30 minutes or more to ride the antique cars!

IMG_4944.thumb.JPG.51b78c1ac5bdd888042ebd58414ee310.JPG

I believe this is also newly done for the 2017 season. This is the old queue section for Pirate. They seemed to have turned it into a resting station (or a smoking area, but I didnt look that far into it - I know for the most part Darien Lake smoking areas are shown by blue paint and signage though)

IMG_4946.thumb.JPG.ea7101c90d08803238070ee0419d651c.JPG

one of the two new games at Darien Lake this year is Slap Shot - Something I feel people from around these parts will really enjoy!

IMG_4947.thumb.JPG.2721efa6140730224ae85309de5c5faf.JPG

Time to celebrate Viper's 35th!

IMG_4948.thumb.JPG.0ac757216018bcf86049053cf7f403d0.JPG

New vending machine in Viper's Queue

IMG_4950.thumb.JPG.14e20f59da1963b8d685c7427f4127e7.JPG

Even with Viper turning 35, there has been little to no work done to its station. Oh well.

IMG_4951.thumb.JPG.ca24e9c35430d27c143a7326384b7a7e.JPG

Upon exiting the Viper, I noticed the rear door was open for the Galaxy Theatre. Which looks to be pretty empty. No coaster trains or secret ride storage like what many have rumored on this very discussion thread. But it does indeed seem to be being used for storage of less exciting things

IMG_4957.thumb.JPG.553e576489e0d6798f0fca0b60537b88.JPG

I think this signage is new? I'm not entirely sure but just in case - here's the eatery in Rowdy's Ridge known as Campfire Grill

IMG_4958.thumb.JPG.6d1f13b6083bcfa1b288caf0b5f9c378.JPG

Next up we went to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Mind Eraser. I thought it was kind of funny that they painted the sign because at least with the old signage it looked similar to the coaster's faded look. Now with this bright red sign, the coaster looks even more faded than it did before! (One can hope they will eventually repaint the ride to match the sign. That bright red looks awesome!)

IMG_4959.thumb.JPG.5b5bce5deff057e00c9de8cdaa6d0fee.JPG

Tons of people lined up with us to get that first ride of the season on Mind Eraser!

IMG_4961.thumb.JPG.cc86e72a5f863a40293a936505c0ca36.JPG

Here is the brand new Strike-U-Up! Honestly if it weren't raining I would've tried this thing. they had a buy-one get-one sale going for Today only.

IMG_4964.thumb.JPG.ee8086f6cc627cc45332f8312d136f09.JPG

They also added a blue dye and what seemed to be new lights into the fountain. it does look really nice in my opinion - but be warned this also comes from a guy who likes the blue dye in the water by Maverick.

IMG_4965.thumb.JPG.51c1deeced271786c0736e734d1c0a9f.JPG

as we went to leave the park, we saw very quickly that the line for the Season Pass processing got astronomically larger (for reference - we waited about 2 minutes when we got there)

IMG_4966.thumb.JPG.57651e86602f294e415decc1f4759538.JPG

That's it for me! I'll be heading back on the 19th for the inagural Ignite the Night performance as well as on June 29th to partake in the Viper 35th Anniversary festivities! I can't wait for more #DLTradition fun in 2017!

Viper used to have vending machines in that little shack in its queue line back when Darien Lake was owned by Six Flags, but I think when Six Flags sold DL the vending machines were removed from Viper's queue.

I had a morning obligation so got to the park around noon. Had to pay for parking and have it reimbursed because I wanted to buy the pass there. I was greeted with that line...75-100 people deep. With young kids in the car and work in a few hours I couldn't wait in that line. Off to guest services where I had to wait 20 minutes (with only 4 people ahead of me) to buy my pass and get reimbursed. What a waste of gas and effort. My transaction took about 3 minutes. What do people need at guest services that it takes 10-15 minutes? Sheesh. The nice girl at the window did say though that they may be extending the extra friend pass benefits to next weekend but don't hold her to it.

My fault for sticking a round peg in a square hole. You win some and you lose some.