TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

This place was open Monday for some reason. Well actually it was Emancipation Day with government workers in DC closed, but I just had to look that up and didn't seem like anyone showed up to the park because of it. Holy cats. Also there was some scattered rain including a slight chance of thunderstorm centered right on my visit, but while there wasn't a lot of sun, as I headed east of Richmond the dark clouds changed to white puffy ones with bits of blue showing.

Rode Loch Ness with the new trains, the green shade making me think Loch Ness Anaconda. I'm not sure what difference they made. I did get headbanged slightly from the restraint but rode towards the front and it was pretty smooth. I used to love the back, but it's really rough coming out of the loops. I wondered if the new trains wouldn't have padding on the backrests because I've had it grip my back and felt my backbone being stretched by the bumps, but that part is the same.

Walked on front row of Apollo. Airtime is the exact same as every time I've ever ridden it, extended floater in the back. Went over for a couple of Tempesto rides. I waited one train for the front and wow there is some ejector air coming up to the top of that first loop. I could have stayed in my seat but I don't want to try riding that thing twice back to back. Only reason I can tolerate it without getting sick is because it's so short.

Skyride was closed which is why I ended up riding Apollo already in the first place. I saw the train go by twice before I was done over there and then it promptly showed up again. InvadR's right at the Caribou train station so that was next. I really like how the train and that ride interact, yeah the people on the train probably think it's silly when the people on the coaster yell at them. Le Scoot was closed but looked like it had been open earlier. As to if InvadR is a family ride or a thrill ride, it's about as thrilling as a coaster 74 feet tall gets. There are a couple missed opportunities for more airtime but my arms got tired from trying to hold them up while whipping around.

Then rode Griffon and Geist. Skipped the Bolt as I marathoned it at X Town and it was out of the way. Didn't try Eire as it sounds like it will be at least as sickening as the other rides in that location and there were better things to do.

Overall I was in the park almost exactly 3 hours, got 23 coaster laps incl. 9 front row and 2 hops on the train. Sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Battle for Eire's video was done by Falcon Creative Group, and Dreamcraft Attractions worked on the ride, too. The simulator platform has been there since the Questor days (upgraded since).

Battle for Eire's video was done by Falcon Creative Group, and Dreamcraft Attractions worked on the ride, too. The simulator platform has been there since the Questor days (upgraded since).

Thanks for the information...

Do you have any clue about Griffon's track?

^That's just where the track has been repainted most recently. The lowest portions of the track don't require massive cranes so they can be repainted more easily and are done more frequently.

Okay, this park is going insane with future plans. Not that it's a bad thing...But I'm crazy curious what's happening at this park in the next few years. First we get leaked news that a Spain area with a 315 foot attraction may be coming. Then a survey asking about adding a third gate, a Sesame Place, to the area. Now, there is more leaked news that a 90 foot attraction may be coming to the Ireland area of the park. What comes first? Is BGW going overboard here or is all this just "fake news"?

Best case: 315 foot attraction is a new major coaster, and 90 foot attraction is an intense flat. BGW needs both of those.

Worst case: 315 foot attraction is a silly tower thing, and 90 foot attraction is another not-quite-family coaster.

Best case: 315 foot attraction is a new major coaster, and 90 foot attraction is an intense flat. BGW needs both of those.

Worst case: 315 foot attraction is a silly tower thing, and 90 foot attraction is another not-quite-family coaster.

it's so weird, as from an "ousider's" perspective, I think BGW is an absolutely perfect park.

on our one trip there, we loved the landscaping, the shows, and thought the rides were great, with a good mix of thrill and family (helped along by Invadr).

could there be a few more flats? sure, but it didn't feel like anything was missing.

ETA: no children in our household, so we don't notice things like height restrictions. . tho since you're talking about a big coaster or "intense" flat, that might not be what you were meaning?

Edited by bert425

Including the theming, Cobra's Curse is 80 feet tall. Something like that would be a good fit for Ireland, and fill a major height restriction gap in BGW's lineup.

it's so weird, as from an "ousider's" perspective, I think BGW is an absolutely perfect park.

on our one trip there, we loved the landscaping, the shows, and thought the rides were great, with a good mix of thrill and family (helped along by Invadr).

could there be a few more flats? sure, but it didn't feel like anything was missing.

ETA: no children in our household, so we don't notice things like height restrictions. . tho since you're talking about a big coaster or "intense" flat, that might not be what you were meaning?

BGW is certainly the kind of park that can take more time between major additions (especially if the beer samples in Tampa are successful and they bring it here). It's just that KD has added Dominator, I305, and Twisted Timbers since BGW added Griffon, their last major ride that is indisputably thrill.

Including the theming, Cobra's Curse is 80 feet tall. Something like that would be a good fit for Ireland, and fill a major height restriction gap in BGW's lineup.

I'd be all for that, if they can guarantee a minimum <=42" and the 315-foot attraction remains a coaster.

Would hate to see them build another expensive and only moderately intense ride with a higher minimum height as the 90-foot, and be forced to scrap the plans or cheap out on the 315-foot.

I'm just looking at the timeline here. The permits to build are only good for so long. They have to start building soon. I'm guessing 90 foot attraction for 2019? 315 foot attraction for 2020? And possibly Sesame Place for 2021? And I'm assuming one of those has to be a coaster. BGW definitely has some interesting things going on.

It's just that KD has added Dominator, I305, and Twisted Timbers since BGW added Griffon, their last major ride that is indisputably thrill.

Tempesto? It's a large ride that's indisputably thrill.

It's just that KD has added Dominator, I305, and Twisted Timbers since BGW added Griffon, their last major ride that is indisputably thrill.

Man, how could I forget? But it probably wasn't as big an investment and impact as even InvadR...

How about no

I totally agree on that .

And Mach Tower

Honestly, can we just agree that this park is already fantastic and any ride that BGW could possibly add would just make it better? I don't care if the new ride is good or not (which for the reocrd, to the person who thinks the idea of a Cobra’s Curse to BGW is wack, I thought Cobra’s Curse was great and would love to see one at BGW), just so long as it doesnt replace another ride (*cough* Verbolten), can it really make the park worse?

Edited by RollerManic