Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 993 - Report from Howl-o-Scream
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poke manatees in the butt.

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Nice report, I really need to get there one of these years for Beerfest.
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:15 am

Great report, Chuck! Looks awesome.

Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:54 am

InvadR has been added to the Christmas Town lineup, though they've removed Tempesto so they'll still only be running 2 adult coasters.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:18 pm

^Somebody asked me about this last weekend, but I wasn't sure--thanks for the update.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Jman0477 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Anyone heard anything about Christmas town tickets for the park it seems very late for busch gardens not to offer a discount on tickets for this event for passholders last year end of july I snagged a good deal and even going to the site now nothing is showing yet

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby marth555 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am

More info including the name unveiled for the vr ride.

https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/attractions/rides/battle-for-eire-virtual-reality

Battle-for-Eire-940x200.png

Slip on your magic lenses, hop aboard a dragon and join the battle to save the Magic of Ireland. Experience 360 degrees of adventure on the new Battle For Eire ™ — Action VR Ride at Busch Gardens ® Williamsburg. The Otherworld needs a warrior. Team up with the last fairy guardian, Addie, and set out to rescue the sacred Heart of Eire. Hang on tight as you soar above the lush landscapes and mystifying powers of the Otherworld. Prepare to battle the dark forces. Will you be a hero? Take flight and fight the evil Dark Lord, Balor, to bring light to the darkness. Test your courage and send your spirit soaring on this one-of-a-kind, virtual reality thrill.

BATTLE FOR EIRE QUICK FACTS
  • State-of-the art 360-degree virtual reality headsets combined with a motion-based theater simulator will create an innovative experience unlike any other in the attraction industry
  • Head mounts will be distributed to guests before each ride and will be sanitized after every use (similar to 4D glasses at attractions such as Curse of DarKastle)
  • Head mounts are adaptable to many sizes
  • VR headsets, which are tethered to the motion simulator seats, will connect to guests’ head mounts via magnetic closure
  • A standard version of the video will be available for those interested in a more traditional experience
  • Attraction video was created in 4K resolution
Battle-for-Eire-Addie-full-460x352.png
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:18 am.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Anyone been to the Halloween event yet? I'm trying to make it down there for it this year.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby esvadj » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Satans Hockey wrote:Anyone been to the Halloween event yet? I'm trying to make it down there for it this year.

I've usually been twice by now, but been too busy. Heading there on the 14th for sure though.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 am

^Speaking of that . . .

Howl-o-Scream: What's New for 2017

Yes, it's my favorite time of the year at Busch Gardens. Jack the Ripper stalks the streets of London, vampires terrorize Germany, and demons get down with their bad selves (and their chain saws) in France. Those are the constants of Howl-o-Scream in Williamsburg (at least over the last few years). So, what's different this year?

If you were hoping to fight traditional vampires in tuxes, opera capes, and evening gowns, I regret to inform you that the park's oldest maze, Bitten, is no more. Perhaps too much sunlight leaked in during the earlier part of the season, thus reducing the bloodsuckers to dust and bones (or perhaps there was a garlic epidemic). It was about time. The maze was getting a bit long in the tooth (yes, pun intended), and it was time to dump some holy water on it. I will miss the pounding James Bernard/Hammer Films Dracula music that reverberated from the old Drachen Fire station.

But there is a new maze to replace it: Frostbite (in the DarKastle building). One thing I like about Howl-o-Scream is that it can't depend on existing IPs for mazes; they have to be "original" concepts. The backstory of Frostbite concerns the death of a dragon that once lived within a cavern and provided heat and light for the people in the castle above it. But now some sort of "frost demon" has taken over and turned the once warm dwelling into an icy palace of doom. BGW used the DarKastle space (and some of its projection equipment) pretty well, and they cranked up the AC to make it appropriately chilly. It's a fun walk-through, but I thought the "ice king" in the pre-show looked a bit silly. It drew a big crowd, but the wait was only about 30 minutes, even with a full queue.

The Wendigo Woods Terror-tory is gone, although the Wendigo is still around. Now you have to survive Axe Alley, where you're harassed by the ghosts of the Vikings who invaded New France. It's doesn't have the elaborate back story of the old Terror-tory, but it fits in well with Invadr, and the Vikings are pretty active at banging their axes and chasing unwary guests.

So, what else is new at Howl-o-Scream this year? They've decreased the amount of gore in the Ripper Row Terror-tory in England. The random bloody body parts are gone. They reconfigured the Lumberhacks outdoor maze (behind Verbolten). You now enter through what used to be the exit, and I thought it was an improvement--the scares are better hidden now. Cornered, the other outdoor maze, has changed, too--the mirror-maze section has been replaced with rather close rows of corn, making it more claustrophobic. They made some tweaks to Deadline (Escape from Pompeii building. There's a new No Escape room, too: Jack the Ripper has bee replaced with the Case of the Haunted Hotel (this is an upcharge).

Let's have a look around.
001.jpg
Just in case you’re forgotten where we are.
002.jpg
Nothing creepy here. Nothing at all. Right?
003.jpg
Ripper Row is a low on gore compared to previous years. Where are all the body parts?
004.jpg
At least the Headless Hearse Driver is still here--and you don't have to tip him, because he's dead.
004a.jpg
Hmm . . . where to go first? Let’s consult this handy map . . .
004b.jpg
. . . or ask this crazy ghoul woman. I like this gimmick with the maps, and there are a few other video-screen surprises in the park.
005.jpg
Being as the ghoul woman wasn’t much help, let’s just follow this sign to the new Terror-tory: Axe Alley.
006.jpg
First, we must cross the Valley of the Spiders. (Not an official Terror-tory, but my pet name for the path from Ireland to France.)
006a.jpg
Just follow the ghosts. They'll never lead you astray . . . if you're looking for Hell, that is.
007.jpg
Ghouls will try to distract you with booze and ice cream.
008.jpg
And later this evening, they will succeed with me.
009.jpg
Do not fall for the tasty deceptions of the Children of the Night (even in broad daylight). Focus on your objective.
010.jpg
Demons will be out in a out another 15 minutes.
011.jpg
Welcome to the Terror-tory formerly known as Wendigo Woods.
012.jpg
Now it’s been taken over by murderous Viking “Invadrs.”
013.jpg
But the Wendigo is still around.
014.jpg
Hmm--looks like a good spot to scare people. We’ll find out later.
015.jpg
Bitten is now officially “dead,” but the undead still roam Vampire Point in Germany.
016.jpg
“I sparkle. I also bite and suck!”
017.jpg
Sheesh! That security guard just let two vampires walk by without as much as a “who goes there.” At least the trash can is safe.
018.jpg
The Mr. Karver No Escape Room us back, but Jack the Ripper has been replaced by the “Case of the Haunted Hotel.” If I were Jack, I’d be a bit miffed. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:58 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:26 am

Time to get frost bitten!
019.jpg
Mad King Ludwig decided to take the rest of the year off. Welcome to Frostbite--this year’s new maze.
020.jpg
“Go ahead. Sing ‘Cold as Ice’ one more time. I never get tired of that gag.”
021.jpg
I haven’t had to walk through the entire DarKastle queue in a long time.
022.jpg
Ludwig swapped homes with this guy, who looks like a blue version of Groot. It was all done “sight unseen,” and I bet Ludwig got stuck with some ice-fishing house in Wisconsin. Poor dope.
023.jpg
It gets creepier as the sun goes down.
024.jpg
Meanwhile, back at Axe Alley, the Vikings have dropped their leather ale mugs and picked up their weapons.
025.jpg
I don’t want to alarm anybody, but I hear there’s a Bungee Viking around here, somewhere. Possibly where the Bungee Soldier was last year.
026.jpg
“Blurry vengeance is mine!”
027.jpg
Axe Alley is a lot creepier after dark.
028.jpg
Demon Street is party central for HOS.
029.jpg
“I’m gonna . . . cough! . . . scare the . . . hack . . . oh, crap . . . ugh . . . back off on the fog a bit.”
030.jpg
Unlike the Flaming Nicholas Page head in the last photo, this dude likes the fog.
031.jpg
Now that Bitten is gone, Catacombs is the oldest maze at Howl-o-Scream.
032.jpg
This cabin has been burning for years. You think these demon hell beasts would be more careful.
033.jpg
What time is it? It's Burn-for-All-Eternity O'clock!
034.jpg
Time for ice cream as made by a mad scientist.
035.jpg
This chocolate-almond liqueur concoction was delicious.
036.jpg
Let’s take another lap around the park, starting in Ireland.
037.jpg
All hail the Pumpkin-Spice God! He demands another crucifixion sacrifice!
038.jpg
The ritual is complete! Behold the children of the Pumpkin-Spice God! They will infuse your beer with more tastiness!
039.jpg
The only way to escape the pumpkin spice is to survive Deadline.
040.jpg
Oh boy! The circus is back in town!
041.jpg
Just don’t push the fortune teller’s button. She hates that.
042.jpg
The maze itself is a bit better this year (they made some good tweaks).
043.jpg
Many people were shocked by this guy--literally.
044.jpg
I wandered by two shows: Starfright Orchestra in Italy . . .
045.jpg
. . . and Night Beats: Revamped in the Festhaus. ("Night fever, night fever! Do you know where’s the beer at?")
046.jpg
I think the Demon DJ is up there somewhere now.
047.jpg
Yep--there he is.
048.jpg
“It’s almost eleven. You best be headin’ home, guvnor.”
049.jpg
And that’s a wrap from Howl-o-Scream. Thanks for reading.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!