TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Chessington World of Adventure Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Chessington World of Adventures, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

March 12th, 2007 - Dragon Falls will not open until the summer

July 20th, 2009 - Wild Asia Planning Application Submitted

September 21st, 2009 - Beanoland Closes for the Last Time

September 29th, 2009 - A Photo Look Back at Beanoland

November 3rd, 2009 - Wild Asia Video Released

November 3rd, 2009 - Wild Asia Construction Update

November 18th, 2009 - Wild Asia Press Release

December 5th, 2009 - Wild Asia Micro-Site Released

March 30th, 2010 - A Look at Wild Asia

May 30th, 2011 - Wanyama Village & Reserve Photos

March 27th, 2011 - Changes to the park for 2011

February 2nd - Safari Experience Plans Submitted

February 10th - Damisi the Gorilla breaks his new years resolution

November 16th, 2012 - Zufari: Ride into Africa is announced

June 16th, 2013 - riders stranded on Ramses Revenge

December 21st, 2013 - Fire ravages Creaky Cafe - no rides damaged

January 7th - Chessington Origional Ride "Safari Skyway" removed from line up.

March 9th, 2019 - A Room on a Broom opens. A walk through attraction based on a popular children's book

January 16th, 2020 - "Rainforest" expansion announced with 3 new rides!

February 16th, 2021 - Croc Drop announced for 2021!

January 27th, 2023 - World of Jumanji full details!

Currently Dragon Falls will not open in the 2007 season until the summer due to the ride being condemned by safety officials.

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/chessington-world-of-adventures

Don't know how reliable this information is, will be checking it out when I next talk to someone at chessington.

Anyone else know anything about this?

EDIT: When my friend rang Chessington earlier he was told that Dragons falls will be closed at the beginning of the season but was not given a reason why.

Removing the rockwork and adding new safety stairwells were all done in response to maintenance and health+safety concerns. I can't believe that after such a major rehab they're having to look at it AGAIN!

I guess this is going to be the trend for all of Chessington's lineup nowadays. They've been relying on their old show-stoppers to be highlights for so long that they are starting to tire out of action.

(Vampire is claimed to have been "transformed" not only because they park wanting new style trains, but because it was on the verge of death. -

Rameses Revenge top spin has been patched up more often than a street luge rider. etc)

thats quite serious, even without people on the ride, it can still be dangerous.

does anyone know if that 'area' is blocked up yet? If not, it should be...

and i heard RR is being 'revamped' again. better and longer circuits now. i even heard the fountains may just blast air on cold days, not too sure if that'd work... if it does though, they should try getting a smoke machine linked up for Halloween nights etc...

heh, wishful thinking...

tbh, the only decent thing there is either the Rattlesnake or the monorail...

How old is Dragon Falls..? Could be time for an update, how about a turn-table at the top of the last drop that would be cool.

Dragon's Fury and the Vampire are the best rides which Chessington can offer. I liked the "Bubble Works" dark water ride, but since it being revamped and sponsored by cleaning products it has gone done hill.

Why do most things in England have to be sponsored by food,drink etc products, it's just being lazy not to give the ride a proper name.

I would like to see "Rattlesnake" and "Runaway" train taken out and install a "Topple Tower" inc water features with a custom "Powered coaster".

Wow sounds serious. If the support foundations are cracking up, how easy would it be to sort this out??

Yup RR has had a whole new PLC installed, so we will see all new programmes this year and they should be a lot better than the one prgramme that they were using last year!

I thought as much. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheaper to build something else in its place, although it may be hassle to dismantle the ride and fix the problem it would still be more expensive to completely knock it down and build something new. I hope they don't decide to build something in its place, this ride is a classic.

it would still be more expensive to completely knock it down and build something new

You would think so but no.

Years ago at Gullivers, we had a Zamperla Frog hopper, the ride ended up severely damaged thanks to a dozey crane driver, twozzoking it with his boom.

Originally the director wanted the ride repaired and overhauled, the estimated bill for that was about 30%larger than what the ride originally cost.

So we got 2 new ones, basically buy one get another half price.

And ti still turned out cheaper than rebuilding the old one.

So as you can see, just repairing a ride isn't always the desired option. If they want to, they will. The cost will ultimately depend how bad the damage extends.

If the crumbling supports are all thats wrong with it, chances are it will remain but if it ahs caused other problems such as twisting the channel, it could be grizzly.

I see what your saying. Another thing we don't know is the exact extent of the damage and how many support foundations are actually affected. It may only be one or two and so it wouldn't cost that much to repair them, if as you say there has been no further serious damage to the ride. I suppose we will just have to wait and see what they do with the ride, I just personally can't see Chessington without Dragon Falls. It would be so sad to see them knock this ride down.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the park today and managed to get some pictures of the work they are doing to Dragon Falls and it seems to confirm everything that has been said.

I also managed to get some pictures of the work they are doing on Ramesis Revenge.

DF1.jpg.5ae829e4b4433ab4af23a5cce571849d.jpg

An overview of the work being carried out on the Dragon Falls support.

DF2.jpg.93f2999e27d42d6e5a990c35e6be00f8.jpg

A close up of the work being carried out on the suport just before the second drop.

RR2.jpg.3493274bd44a2ab1d39375bb3336b8cf.jpg

An overview of the work being carried out on RR.

RR1.jpg.0b79341724d9c0d52996c0b531332f05.jpg

The old restraints, maybe they will be getting some new more comfortable ones.

• 2 years later...

Chessington World of Adventures has submitted planning permission for the redevelopment of 'Beanoland', including the relocation and/or re-theming of existing structures/buildings, the installation of a new disc ride, the creation of a bird walkthrough enclosure, landscaping and engineering works.

http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/isis_main/P ... trHeader=Y

Beanoland has become very run down over the years and now is getting the attention it needs.

So what theme do you think will suit the land now it seems Beano will be leaving us at the end of the season?

What would you like to see as the "disc ride"? A Disko maybe?

Edited by larrygator

I think a Mega-Lite is very very unlikely for Chessington. Their most intense ride is Dragon's Fury and that's pretty meh. Good stuff, glad to hear they carry on expanding. I expect the new ride will be a disko, similar to that at Paultons Park.

What would you like to see as the "disc ride"? A Disko maybe?

Sounds like a Disko or Disko coaster to me. The one down at Paultons was pretty good, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone from the Chessington took a visit down there and liked it.

I'm a bit sad that Beanoland will be getting rethemed, but I'll be interested to see what they do to it.

I think it is about time they did something about Beanoland as it has become a terrible mess, the paint has faded, the fountains don't work and the whole place just looks like a comic that has been left outside in the rain.

I think it will be very interesting to see what they come up with as a new theme for the land and if they will fix up all the air powered foam ball cannons that don't work anymore or just remove them.

I think a Mega-Lite is very very unlikely for Chessington. Their most intense ride is Dragon's Fury and that's pretty meh. Good stuff, glad to hear they carry on expanding. I expect the new ride will be a disko, similar to that at Paultons Park.

Dragon's Fury is much better than "meh". It's one of my Top 20 steel coasters! That ride is so much fun, the best spinning coaster out there and every ride is unique.

Dragons Fury is awesome, I was down there a few weeks ago and rode 3 times in a row without getting out of my seat, me and my friend were in one side and no-one was in the other, it was pure evil!!!!! Spinning like hell, I especially like the fact that it spins on the second lift and on the mid course breaks, really adds to the ride!

Chessington would probably suit a Giant Disko, could be themed pretty good in the "New" land I reckon.

I agree with Larry, it is in my top 20 also, I haven't found a coaster to be that "fun" in years, it was a genuine surprise!

The plans have been released for the new land at Chessington and from what I can tell we are going to see a highly theme Jungle land! Featuring a Zamperela Disko Coaster which will sit where the Dodgems are currently located.

Also confirmed is the relocation of Bash Street Bus and The Dodgems in the same land, a reptile attraction and a hostpitality marquee.

Bash Street Bus will be relocated to where the Dragons Fury Beanoland entrance is and the Dodgems will be relocated to where the Ballon Battle up charge attractions now is.

To view all the plans submitted click the link below. I have attached a few plans below for those of you that may have trouble viewing the plans on the council website.

http://images.kingston.gov.uk/ImageViewer/Image_Viewer.aspx?strSys=DC&strCaseNo=0910119&strFCASENO=09/10119&strImageType=Plans&strHeader=Y

tssd.jpg.3147ce36aae5a251390f57202a03adc4.jpg

Plan of Disko Coaster showing the 2 giant serpants each end.

tss.jpg.da95e6c420970cb2965e3b0ce6ef2649.jpg

Side view of new facades.

cabwieyfb.jpg.caeb92362464d519a791cda0e62b2865.jpg

Overview of new land.

All I can say is WOW! It's about time Chessington got a new attraction and although it's not the coaster I was hoping for, a Disko looks like great fun, not to mention that theming in the plans looks great. I truely hope that Merlin can pull this one of, if they do, this will be one hell of a new land!