TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

What y'all think? Could it be?

I don't care where it's going. There's an RMC Raptor coming out soon and that's the greatest news ever..

Watch your words carefully. For all we know it could be going to China.

I have a feeling this is for Kentucky Kingdom, and I was really hopeful we'd be getting a T-Rex instead...but hey, I'll be happy with this.

The raptor track is intended to be a stock ride, cloned like the S&S free spins for example. Doubt this is for KK since the layout would be too similar to LR.

Since we are speculating on what the new ride will be, i personally think we will see a big coaster that will pull in the crowds. Essentially it will be like Chang was to the old KK a big project to cap off a few succusful years of growth. I think Ed will finally get his B&M and it will be something that isn't in the region or already in the park, such as a hyper or an invert (even though T3 is awful, the GP loves the thing for the most part). There is already a wing coaster an hours drive north so that knows it out, sit downs, flying and floorless are few and far between here recently so I doubt KK would get one. I think we could be looking at a dive coaster. They are relatively compact rides and are GP pleasers. They could get the top of the coaster right in that sweet spot behind the picnic area and we could be looking at a 200+ foot coaster. As for this being the last year for Mt.Slide Hai in the water park, I could also see them getting a water coaster similar to mammoth in that area to catch up with HW and their 2 water coasters.

I have a feeling this is for Kentucky Kingdom, and I was really hopeful we'd be getting a T-Rex instead...but hey, I'll be happy with this.

The raptor track is intended to be a stock ride, cloned like the S&S free spins for example. Doubt this is for KK since the layout would be too similar to LR.

Oh I agree that it would be too similar to Lightning Run. Ed has mentioned in the past his desire to have a new B&M, yet he also mentioned shortly after Storm Chaser opened having already talked to RMC about a new coaster. Putting two and two together, I figured we'd see a T-Rex tracked coaster. However, if this is truly something they're wanting to have by 2018, then I would think they'd have to start at least on the track by now....hence why the Raptor tracks in the picture might be for Kingdom after all.

They could get the top of the coaster right in that sweet spot behind the picnic area and we could be looking at a 200+ foot coaster. As for this being the last year for Mt.Slide Hai in the water park, I could also see them getting a water coaster similar to mammoth in that area to catch up with HW and their 2 water coasters.

As much as we'd all like a 200+ roller coaster I don't think it will ever happen because the FAA would have something to say about that since KK sits right in the middle of 2 runway approaches. Ed said that the most restrictive height limits are at the East and West edges of the park with the middle having the least amount of restrictions. They have to watch what they do build because he said that when they bring in cranes it'll show up on radars and cause the FAA to have panic attacks and start asking all kinds of questions. I know when they were building the new body slide the airport traffic was stopped while the cranes where onsite so I think a Giga coaster would end up causing all kinds of problems for KK. It'd be nice though.

^ I personally think that something similar in height to Chang (154 ft) would be fine for Kentucky Kingdom again. I don't necessarily think they really "need" a 200 foot + coaster. At least, not in the immediate future

Kentucky kingdoms, next Coaster won't come til 2019. Ed already said 2018 is going to Hurricane Bay, most likely a replacement for the old MT. Slide Hai complex, since they announced it's the last year for those slides. They can build up to 200 feet, on the East side of the park, along the line of Sky Catcher, Giant Wheel and the Entrance.

Ed has been happy with RMC, they worked on Thunder Run and built Storm Chaser and been very happy with the results. The next coaster, will run along the backside of the Waterpark and be a T-Rex.

I don't know, but 2019 will be their next New Coaster and Ed does like RMC.

Totally dream speculating, but couldn't the highest point be close to 200ft (maybe 180ft like Sky Coaster) and the rest of the coaster stay well below that, like 150ft and lower. It could call for some serious speed airtime hills.

It would not surprise me if they decide to wait till after derby to make the announcement so that it does not get overshadowed by Kentucky's largest annual tradition. If they are spending money on a new roller coaster they are going to want it to get the publicity it deserves.

It would not surprise me if they decide to wait till after derby to make the announcement so that it does not get overshadowed by Kentucky's largest annual tradition. If they are spending money on a new roller coaster they are going to want it to get the publicity it deserves.

yea I can see that being a possibility.

When we where at the Keys to the kingdom event, the park had said that they intended to announce the additions in the April. They also said that they would hold off until after the derby if necessary.

2018-2019 potential plans, iirc.

I see, but isn't it a tad early for that?

From what i've gathered, they will be releasing another plan similar to how they did when they re-opened. We got a general, "this is what we intend to add in the next few years" type announcement. They completed their first 3 year plan with Storm Chaser, so now they are releasing another 2 or 3 year plan.

Opening day went great! The park was empty. They gave out the new 2017 park map (no idea why its not on the site yet), so you can look at it below. Also check out the new "Fun Under Construction" signs that were located all along the path between Eye of the Storm and Storm Chaser. Hopefully they will address that area quickly because right now it looks a little rough. The only other thing of note was some new slide pieces behind Skycatcher. Not enough for a new slide, so maybe just replacements or old pieces?

IMG_0029.thumb.JPG.8c4cc1bbcc1c4597f9996b2ee7a6aa06.JPG

2017 Park Map

IMG_20170429_131804.thumb.jpg.f15e9318a2f84ad244d05330d826bfbf.jpg

New Slide Pieces

IMG_20170429_115052.thumb.jpg.a420b6a22fc11511bb4ec4cf0cad848e.jpg

Fun Under Construction

Edited by GraybyDefault

Dropped by for a couple of hours. Felt like a hot summer's day with the high temps.

Eye of the Storm was simple, yet plenty of fun! I also think it's in a good spot in the park too! Didn't take too many photos, but I did post a slowmo of Thunder Run's new train on Twitter, and make this offride video of Eye of the Storm.

Two things I noticed on my visit too:

1) T3 now has an onride photo section installed, which I had no idea about until I got on it!

2) Storm Chaser plaza received some work which could hint at potential sidewalk expansion stretching under Storm Chaser's second inversion (or maybe only better access for service road).

20170429_182051.thumb.jpg.862717549032fa66e19dffa5df5f256e.jpg

The curb and foliage is a really nice touch