Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Splash Adventure (Alabama Adventure) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:28 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Alabama Adventure, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

March 27th, 2006 - Visionland changes name to Alabama Adventure

May 15th, 2008 - Park sold to Adrenaline Family Entertainment (AFE)

July 22nd, 2009 - A year of changes with new owners

Mar. 20th, 2010 - Park adds new theatrical show for 2010
November, 2010 - Splash Boat announced for 2011

August 18th, 2011 - Alabama Adventure is up for sale

January 6th, 2012 - Park sold to a previous owner
April 4th, 2012 - Park finally hints that changes are coming to the ride portion of the park
April 5th, 2012 - Park to reopen as Splash Adventure water park sans dry rides
August 30th, 2012 - Park to reopen as Splash Adventure water park sans dry rides

March 14, 2014 - Koch family buys Splash Adventure

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/bas ... amnews?zwe

Visionland's Zoomerang roller coaster is expected to not only be a boon to the park, but also to Bessemer as well.

The new steel coaster from Australia is to make its debut when the park opens May 8.

Visionland officials don't talk attendance numbers, but they expect attendance to increase 25 percent just because of Zoomerang.

"It's going to be huge," said Bev Spahn, Visionland's marketing director. "We expect to meet that goal."

The $5 million triple-loop coaster was originally scheduled for the 2006 season, Spahn said.

"We moved it up because we expect it to do so much for the park," Spahn said.

Good news for the park means good news for Bessemer.

"The additional attendance means more motel room rentals, more people eating at restaurants and just the overall adding to the tax base," Spahn said.

A steel roller coaster is often seen as a star attraction at an amusement park and can be a big draw for new visitors, and especially, coaster enthusiasts, park officials said. Officials said there is a huge demand for this type of new attraction at Visionland.

"We're not Six Flags," Spahn said. "Birmingham can't support a Six Flags, but it can support something in the middle, which is what we are. Visionland is a phenomenal theme park. It's good for the state and the Birmingham area."

The coaster will introduce a lot of people to Bessemer for the first time, said LaTasha Cook, vice president of the Bessemer Area Chamber of Commerce.

"Roller coasters are pretty big," she said. "It's going to draw people who are going to also buy gas and perhaps do some shopping. I think it will have a huge impact on our tax base."

The 125-foot coaster is currently under construction. Testing is expected some time in April, Spahn said.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:01 pm.

Banned

Postby maliboomer » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:35 am

LOL!
A boomerang...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Visionland

Postby BigAL » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:23 am

Can you say over the top marketing or maybe sheltered people. This is the last type of coaster visionland needs. I would prefer even a mine train type coaster to this one.

Banned

Postby Mind Eraser » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:57 am

I think it's awesome. Regardless of what some jaded "enthusiasts" think, Boomerangs are major crowd pleasers. Zoomerang is just what the dying Visionland needs.

BTW, it will have yellow track and green supports.

P.S. Anyone else find it odd that Visionland is being so open about building a used coaster?

-kip-

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:02 am

^ I thought the same thing too. Especially when you've seen the polar opposite with things like Flashback at SFNE, where they make out to be brand spanking new!

--Robb

Beer Fueled Coaster Riding Machine

Postby Rugged One » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:37 am

It seems like they are obviously marketing the fact that it's from Australia. Not really a bad move when you think about it. It helps add to the "mystic" of the new ride. "Look Ma! It's from another country!" :wink:

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Coasterkid20 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:38 am

I can't say for the general public but the addition of a boomerang makes me want to go back to the park so much less. That park has some amazing potential and an awesome woodie, but in the state it was last year it is really ghetto and boring.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:06 am

Boooooo!!!! I already have this credit!!!!

Elissa "great, my first boomerang is now at Visionland!" Alvey

Sexing up the North Pole

Postby Token Yankee Guy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:13 am

robbalvey wrote:^ I thought the same thing too. Especially when you've seen the polar opposite with things like Flashback at SFNE, where they make out to be brand spanking new!

--Robb

Hey now, when I went to SFNE when they had the grand opening and I saw flashback, it looked new. You couldn't tell it was originally built in the 80's. They did such a good paintjob on it.

Now that I am a coaster enthusist I know it's just a used Piece of Crap.

Craiggers "Flashback is the only used coaster ever brought into the park" K.
"Britain, Britain, Britain, We're open from 9 to 6, monday through saturdays"

Banned

Postby Mind Eraser » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:20 am

Elissa-
What year did you hit Australia's Wonderland? Was the Anal Probe freefall tower built yet? I heard that was wild! I wonder if they scrapped it or sold it? I'm sorta irked that they changed the Demon's colors. I thought an all-black Boomerang looked sweet! Yellow and Green and going to fade so quickly.

-kip-

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!