Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1164: "Holiday in the Park: event announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby AndrewA86 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am

Hey everyone, I’m planning on visiting from The Detroit area in the near future and I have a couple Park questions and Chicago traffic questions.

My plan is to visit on a Saturday. I will drive to the area and stay the night on Friday, and then stay Saturday and drive to some town on Lake Michigan, spend half a day and then drive home.

How busy is weekend traffic? Will it be a big pain in the a - - to stay somewhere in Indiana on Friday night and make the rest of the drive on Saturday morning? I also see that there is a toll road. Will taking that road north save time? I wouldn’t mind paying a small toll if it saves me enough time.

Now for the questions about the park. I am planning on getting a flash pass, I’m just not sure which one as I have never used six flags’ flash pass before. How much time do I save with the more expensive options?

Any suggestions about where to eat would be appreciated. And any tips about magic seats, especially on the woodies would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 am

No matter what day or time we have traveled in chicago, the traffic has been horrendous.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Mike240SX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 am

I highly recommend you avoid the Chicago traffic by traveling West across Michigan then taking the Lake Express ferry across to Wisconsin. Great America is about an hour south of where the ferry drops you off. Warning, it's not cheap (about $100 for a car and then $100 per person each way), but in my opinion totally worth it. Total travel time will be about the same but you don't have to drive through Chicago or the horribly-under-construction Indiana Toll Road. You could also theoretically stop in at Michigan's Adventure. which is only about 15 minutes from the ferry dock.

https://www.lake-express.com/
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 am

If you can drive during the night, do it (and even that isn't a guarantee during summer). I've lived in the Chicagoland area all my life, and just thinking about travel conditions during a typical summer day is enough to give me a panic attack.

As for eats, I know there is a Portillo's, as well as a Giordano's in Gurnee. IMO, eating at this park is something to be avoided. Take a break from what is sure to be a crowded day (Saturday) at GAm.

Magic Seat = Last Row on Raging Bull. One of the best first drops in all of the land.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby RCjunkie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:03 am

^ Don't forget about Lou Malnati's in Gurnee also.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 am

I'm a Giordano's guy, so I left that one out. :p
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:46 am

AndrewA86 wrote:Hey everyone, I’m planning on visiting from The Detroit area in the near future and I have a couple Park questions and Chicago traffic questions.

My plan is to visit on a Saturday. I will drive to the area and stay the night on Friday, and then stay Saturday and drive to some town on Lake Michigan, spend half a day and then drive home.

How busy is weekend traffic? Will it be a big pain in the a - - to stay somewhere in Indiana on Friday night and make the rest of the drive on Saturday morning? I also see that there is a toll road. Will taking that road north save time? I wouldn’t mind paying a small toll if it saves me enough time.

Now for the questions about the park. I am planning on getting a flash pass, I’m just not sure which one as I have never used six flags’ flash pass before. How much time do I save with the more expensive options?

Any suggestions about where to eat would be appreciated. And any tips about magic seats, especially on the woodies would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Timmy O'Toole's is right across the street from the park.
http://www.timothyotooles.com/gurnee

Excellent beer selection with lots of rare stuff on tap frequently and I've never been disappointed by the food.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/otooles-media/33883/MAIN-MENU-4112018-F-OUTLINED-G.pdf
tt.JPG
It's so close you could walk.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby AndrewA86 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:37 am

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I appreciate the idea of using the ferry to cross Lake Michigan. I’d be leaving Detroit around 5-530 which should get me into the Chicago area between 9 and 10 pm. The ferry is something I would do if I was with my GF, but I’m doing this solo, and if it’s not going to save me too much time I don’t really want to add that much of an expense.

Which brings me to the food. I have the six flags dining plan so unless there’s absolutely nothing editable to eat in the park I don’t want to spend money I don’t have to.

Maybe I’ll stop at that pizzeria when I get into town for a late dinner. One of those opened here a year ago and I wasn’t impressed, so I’m thinking and hoping that the Chicago locations are better.

Another question, how is this park with letting you ride with keys, wallets, and a phone in a zipped pocket, and a hat down your shirt? I was at great adventure earlier this season and I was shocked they didn’t let you ride some coasters with a hat down your shirt and little items in a zipped pocket.

Thanks.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby grsupercity » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 am

Best Wood Lightning Rod....Goliath SFGAM....Shivering Timbers....Storm Chaser...Voyage
Best Steel Maverick...Lighting Run.....Montu...Mako..Fury...Afterburn...Manta
Honorable mentions Kumba..Raging Bull..Legend..Cornball..M Force..Rapter..Mr Freeze

You know what....Way to many good coasters the best :lmao:

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby JT325 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:43 am

AndrewA86 wrote:Which brings me to the food. I have the six flags dining plan so unless there’s absolutely nothing editable to eat in the park I don’t want to spend money I don’t have to.

Stay away from eating in the park if you can. The food isn't good and it's expensive, but that isn't the big issue. The real problem is the super-slow, long and unorganized lines to get that food. They have one register at many stations that used to have 2 to 4 registers. Add to that they are constantly out of stuff (including ice, systematically every summer... I haven't gotten a drink at the park in years for that reason, and the lines). There is a Culvers my friends and I eat at, a few blocks from the park. Also, if you like Dairy Queen, but that is a couple miles away. And the trendy pizza place everyone mentions as well. Add to that the standard fast food places plus a Chipolte, across the highway around mall.

AndrewA86 wrote:Another question, how is this park with letting you ride with keys, wallets, and a phone in a zipped pocket, and a hat down your shirt? I was at great adventure earlier this season and I was shocked they didn’t let you ride some coasters with a hat down your shirt and little items in a zipped pocket.

Your stuff should be fine if you have a zipped pocket. You might put it all away out of view of a ride op. As far as the hat, it will vary depending on the ride op. Goliath and Raging Bull might just rip that hat out of your shirt.

Have fun! Ride Whizzer in back at night! Demon 2nd to back seat (also at night!) and Eagle RED side, seat 1 or 3.
#CPFrontierLift2019

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!