Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

p. 1135 - "World's Largest Loop Coaster" for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Double post worthy: we received free drink coupons and an upgrade at the Hyatt. Time to drink some beers and get some (non Wrigley ;) ) Chicago style pizza.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 pm

$70 season passes = $70 season pass integrity. Sorry to hear you guys got cut short. If they aren’t gonna make enough $$$ that day, they close. I’ve been there in the summer during similar situations.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby prozach626 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:33 pm

True, but how about the people who showed up who didn't buy season passes? Not sure if they got rain checks or not, which would be irrelevant in our case. Just seems like really shitty business practice to me. The park is a destination level park which was also holding an "event."

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby bluestreak » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Guess I'm lucky they didn't close a couple Saturdays ago when I was there. The weather was dreadful and nothing had full trains but they stayed open. I guess fright fest played into that and since we left at 6 I don't know if fright fest attracted any more crowds.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby JT325 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:45 am

prozach626 wrote:True, but how about the people who showed up who didn't buy season passes?

I would think the park figures they can piss off a certain percentage of people... even if it wasn't a bring-a-friend-free day. They probably hand out a few comp tickets, too. I'm SURE the guest relations office was packed to the gills, and understaffed as always (including during the height of summer). People wait in that line for an hour with out reaching the counter, and leave pissed. I've seen so many people/families leave that place furious. But some keep coming back. Why? Well, the season pass is only $70... Even with that situation, there are many folks that live in Chicagoland and up into Wisconsin that will have nothing to do with the park; a similar situation with Magic Mountain.

Thing is, they could have hundreds of thousands of happy customers that would be happy to pay for fair priced season passes (the Cedar Fair rate is fair but still underpriced around $200, that's what I have in mind), but Six Flags has continually had bad service since the 90s. Sometimes I'll go to the park, and be shocked how good a crew or some employees are, but they are rare. The kind of service and integrity that is key to wonderfully-run places like Cedar Point and Holiday World - it's simply not a part of Six Flags culture. I wish they could turn it around somehow, but I think for now they are fine with how things run.

When Will Koch (Holiday World) was around, he often spoke about how important it is to treat your guests with the utmost respect and integrity. He would say something along the lines of 'if you treat them right, they will want to come back.' Maybe something about how if you treat people right, they will be happy to spend their money at your park. They will tell their friends and family to visit, etc. Six Flags figures there will always be a new set of 15-25 year old to market cheap season passes to. Someone could explain this a little better than me I'm sure... but that's my 2 cents.

I'm lucky being only 45 minutes away from Great America, I can zip up for a couple hours at night alone, meet friends for a while, etc. But I really feel for the people that bring their kids in an attempt to make a day out of it. That really has to stink. It's such a shame, this park and Magic Mountain (heck, many of the Six Flags parks) could be world-class. They have so much potential. I often call Six Flags the Wal-Mart of the industry; cheap and close, and they DO have lots of good stuff.. but the place can be an armpit and the service is usually poor to absolutely miserable. It's not the people that are working on the front line, it's the lack of training and all trickle-down from corporate/managers... They would rather make a bunch of quick money up-front (cheap season passes) than have long-term security. Astroworld is gone... Six Flags Ohio, man what a train wreck that was. Anymore?
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:19 pm

When Will Koch (Holiday World) was around, he often spoke about how important it is to treat your guests with the utmost respect and integrity. He would say something along the lines of 'if you treat them right, they will want to come back.' Maybe something about how if you treat people right, they will be happy to spend their money at your park. They will tell their friends and family to visit, etc.

And Will was (and still is) absolutely 100% right. Look at Disney, Europa and Knoebels as good examples of parks that go out of there way to make sure that you have the best time possible.

Any park or corporate executive that has that "Well, there are more fish in the sea" attitude likely won't end up holding a job with that company once their shareholders start losing money because their customers aren't returning to buy their product.

Edit - I meant to mention that I was sorry to hear about your experience, Prozach...but yeah, free drinks, upgrades and good Chicago pizza would have made up for it a little bit. Hope to see that report sometime!

Postby JT325 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Philrad71 wrote:And Will was (and still is) absolutely 100% right. Look at Disney, Europa and Knoebels as good examples of parks that go out of there way to make sure that you have the best time possible.

I'd add Cedar Point as well; the rest of the Cedar Fair parks are probably close behind. Funny thing I realized about Holiday World a couple years ago. I was standing near the middle of the park and looked out over everything and Splashin' Safari... it's not the "little park in Indiana" anymore. It's a big park now! They did that by treating people with respect.

Philrad71 wrote:Any park or corporate executive that has that "Well, there are more fish in the sea" attitude likely won't end up holding a job with that company once their shareholders start losing money because their customers aren't returning to buy their product.

They switch around so much; old one out, new one in. They're business people - which is perfectly fine, but they don't seem like fans or have a passion for the industry.

Bummer to look at it from these angles, but it's the truth. Luckily for me, I still love my home park SFGAmerica, and still think it's the best in the chain.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby prozach626 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I often call Six Flags the Wal-Mart of the industry; cheap and close, and they DO have lots of good stuff.. but the place can be an armpit and the service is usually poor to absolutely miserable.

Damn, I hate to dog on th SF chain, but I couldn't help but to appreciate that relevant comparison. There's a lot of truth there. Either way, just as you said, I'll be back despite the total BS call of screwing over hundreds of guests.

Postby prozach626 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Postby JT325 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

prozach626 wrote:Damn, I hate to dog on th SF chain, but I couldn't help but to appreciate that relevant comparison. There's a lot of truth there. Either way, just as you said, I'll be back despite the total BS call of screwing over hundreds of guests.

Me too... and I go to Wal-Mart as well, after swearing off the place years ago. Here in Chicagoland, we used to hike the 2.5 hours to Indiana Beach in favor of Great America, but IB has seriously gone down the drain after the Spackman family sold it (2009?).
#CPFrontierLift2019

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!