The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1501 - Bigfoot Rapids to become Calico River Rapids
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know more about donkeys than women!

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby defrocker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am

Made my first visit to Knott's around Labor Day. Almost everything about this park exceeded my expectations. My wife and I both fell in love with this park and it's probably in my top 5 favorite parks. This is just such a charming place. The foods we tried were really good. I'm not a big fan of berries, but I couldn't be there and not do different berry things so if we came across Boysenberry anything, we tried it and all of it was great. Even though the park is plopped down right in the middle of the town, it does not feel like it's in the city.

Now for coasters:

Sierra Sidewinder - I've never spun so much on a spinner. Man did I get dizzy on this one.
Montezooma - I am glad to get to ride this one. There aren't many out there.
Silver Bullet - I have never ridden an invert I didn't absolutely love and this one was no different. I actually enjoyed it a bit more than I anticipated. It was less "snappy" than older models but that did not make it better or worse. My wife, who dislikes the snappy inverts said this one was near the top for her.
Jaguar! - Holy crap, why does no one talk about this thing? This thing was such a fun little family coaster and I found myself laughing through most of the course. So many close calls with trees and other things! If I had a list of "favorite family coasters" this would be towards the top.
Xcelerator - Running one train but they were at least dispatching fairly regularly. It broke down when we were close to boarding, but not for too long. Fun ride and I like that it has more to it than TTD. Not as good as Storm Runner though.
Hangtime - I have never really been the biggest of fans of Euro fighters. This one changed my mind a bit on them. Hangtime is a really fun ride and has probably the best fun per square foot ratio to me. Also Boardwalk area + night = :lover:
Coast Rider - Apple Zapple at KD with stupid restraints.
Pony Express - I had never ridden a coaster like this. I was kind of surprised at how forceful the launch was. Fun, but short.
Ghostrider - Ok, I have been aware of this ride for years, but have never really been that interested in it. I heard that GCI helped it out a lot but it was one that I did not have any expectations for. This thing turned out to be the hit of the trip for me. I am so glad that RMC did not touch this piece of art. It is just pure fun start to finish. Unpopular opinion time: This was my favorite ride on our CA trip that included KBF, SFMM, CGA, and SFDK. I can't get over how much this ride surprised me. Just. Pure. Fun.

Knott's is a fantastic place and I can't recommend it enough for park fans. If you are going just for coasters, you will be missing a lot.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby firebird81 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Glad you enjoyed the park! And you are not alone in being thankful the didn't RMC Ghostrider. It is truly an amazing, legend of a ride that really shows how great CCI was at designing woodies.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:01 am

firebird81 wrote:Glad you enjoyed the park! And you are not alone in being thankful the didn't RMC Ghostrider. It is truly an amazing, legend of a ride that really shows how great CCI was at designing woodies.

I would much rather have Topper Track than the GCI makeover.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby rachelis » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. I had such a good time at West Coast Bash this year and wanted to post my first trip report :) I've been lurking the TPR forums since I was around 14 (a while lol) so WCB was always kind of a dream of mine ever since I was younger. Without further ado...!

SieCdNt.png
I go to Knott's a few times a year, but I've never been this early to catch the fog. So beautiful!

xgzahto.jpg
Let's get this show on the road!!!

rh50iFM.jpg

PEugsMf.jpg
We got to the ticket pickup super early so our behind the scenes tour was at 8:30 am. It was great getting to see the Calico Train behind the scenes. Our guide was awesome, you could tell he was super passionate and loved his job!!

WWcaiN2.jpg
Then it was time for ERT!! :) My friend rode Xcelerator while I went to ride Hangtime for the first time. I LOVED it! It's such a beautiful and fun coaster. I kept gushing about it to my friend haha.

AtoauX6.png
After that, we both rode Montezooma's Revenge, and then I rode Hangtime again. We both go to Knott's pretty frequently so we weren't in a huge rush to ride a lot of rides during the day. I took the opportunity to take a ton of photos while I wasn't in anyone's way!

y3PFXXw.png
One of my favorite rides to photograph. It's so bright and the murals painted on are amazing. It's also gorgeous at night (which I forgot to take a photo of this time :( )

fxysutG.jpg
Artsy hangtime

uGwo4an.jpg

LHZQpA9.png
I love when these Sky Cabin shots come out! (Not pictured: During late afternoon, it was actually clear enough to see Disneyland, or what I'm pretty sure was Disneyland. It was so cool! )

hRjqiVR.jpg
Hangtime is such a pretty coaster. I wasn't too sure about it when it was under construction (especially with the colors so close to Xcelerator), but it's gorgeous now that it's completed!! Especially at night.

kdlEfO7.png
Did a lot of these shots while waiting for nighttime ERT. I'm not too confident with night photography so this was a great place to practice!

ZVrc22Z.png
This coaster is incredible at night. I'm so glad Knott's coasters have more lighting!!

dYKqg7x.jpg
After nighttime ERT started, I didn't take too many pictures. I was too focused on riding as many rides as I could! I've never really been to Knott's after dark, so I tried to take full advantage of it.

After riding Hangtime a few times in a row, I was feeling a little sick, so we decided to go back to the hotel. We went to bed as soon as we got to the hotel to prep for a 5:30 AM wakeup for Day 2 of West Coast Bash!!

Thank you so much to Robb, TPR, and everyone at West Coast Bash for making my first TPR event so enjoyable! I'm terribly shy so I didn't get to reach out and talk to a lot of people, but everyone was so nice!! Knott's was a great host, the food was great (especially the pie!!) and my friend and I had tons of fun. :)

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 pm

rachelis wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. I had such a good time at West Coast Bash this year and wanted to post my first trip report :) I've been lurking the TPR forums since I was around 14 (a while lol) so WCB was always kind of a dream of mine ever since I was younger. Without further ado...!

After riding Hangtime a few times in a row, I was feeling a little sick, so we decided to go back to the hotel. We went to bed as soon as we got to the hotel to prep for a 5:30 AM wakeup for Day 2 of West Coast Bash!!

Thank you so much to Robb, TPR, and everyone at West Coast Bash for making my first TPR event so enjoyable! I'm terribly shy so I didn't get to reach out and talk to a lot of people, but everyone was so nice!! Knott's was a great host, the food was great (especially the pie!!) and my friend and I had tons of fun. :)

great report and pics!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 am

Jew wrote:I would much rather have Topper Track than the GCI makeover.

I’d be all for that as long as they keep a similar layout. As much as I love RMC, Ghostrider has my favorite layout on any wooden coaster, and I’d be disappointed if Knott’s had RMC come in and revamp it - especially when there’s another park an hour north that can supply my RMC fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am

joelwee wrote:especially when there’s another park an hour north that can supply my RMC fix.

How on earth have you ever managed to get from Buena Park to Santa Clarita in an hour? Driving at 3am? :lmao:
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am

KBrylczyk wrote:
joelwee wrote:especially when there’s another park an hour north that can supply my RMC fix.

How on earth have you ever managed to get from Buena Park to Santa Clarita in an hour? Driving at 3am? :lmao:

Yeah, basically... those roads aren't bad late Sunday nights.
Also, thanks for answering my question about Scary Farm.
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Great report, Rachelis, and welcome! That train shed tour looks really great, and Hangtime at night... :lover:

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 pm

stopped by earlier today to check out Ghostrider since it opened back up today or yesterday. the mid course block/trim/brake is in place. i couldn't feel anything going thru it though. you do hear the air pressure released after going thru it. so i'm not sure if it's just super super light, or the fins don't touch at all. but i'd call the ride experience, unaltered.

couple rides on it, and on the other big 3 and was out in an hour. crowds were pretty light. ghostrider sent mostly filled trains while i was there from around 2-3. two trains. silver bullet two trains, about half full each time. hangtime and xcelerator maybe one train wait.

anyway, just wanted to do a quick report on ghostrider.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!