The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1314 - HangTime Dive Coaster Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Star Wars is gay.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 pm

COASTERelic wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:^It is still closed according to the website. It’s been down for about two months now. I heard they were testing with water dummies a few weeks ago, but I guess it’s still having issues.

Isn't this nothing more than a carnival ride? Hard to believe there are so may issues.

Sol Spin is built differently from a standard Top Scan, and the differences in the ride system have been pretty much nothing but trouble. It's been getting tweaked on and off since it opened, with this last closure happening abruptly at the beginning of Haunt season. Even when it was running, it had to run a really short and tame program, so I'm hoping whatever fixes they're doing will help make the ride a lot better than it's been.

VegasBaby wrote:
MayTheGForceBeWithYou wrote:^It's definitely shaping up to be one of their better coasters with that requirement (then again, is it really that hard to top Jaguar and Pony?)

Don't forget about Montezooma, it also has a 48" inch height requirement and only lap bars!

Didn't forget, that's why I said "one of". ;)
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby WestCoasterKing » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Sol Spin is not a carnival Top Scan that was made permanent. It is a whole new design prototype. For starters it has an extra seat at the end of each arm, which just makes it all around bigger. The support structure is bigger. The motor is bigger. Mondial hasn't seemed to have such gtmrest luck with prototypes at Knott's. Maybe that ground is cursed.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Freestyle23 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Don't they build it at their factory and test it before selling?

Postby WestCoasterKing » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Freestyle23 wrote:Don't they build it at their factory and test it before selling?

You'd think.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 am

As someone who works in a industry which buys a lot of complicated machinery. Yes, these machines usually go through testing before being shipped. But testing something for a week or two does not equal the same thing as real life usage, bugs are always bound to show up in real life that don't appear in a few days of testing. That's just how machines work.

Postby WestCoasterKing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:11 am

WolfBobs wrote:As someone who works in a industry which buys a lot of complicated machinery. Yes, these machines usually go through testing before being shipped. But testing something for a week or two does not equal the same thing as real life usage, bugs are always bound to show up in real life that don't appear in a few days of testing. That's just how machines work.

Except most machines are put through weeks of intense rigorous testing, sometimes months. Sol Spin experienced it's first problems during it's initial test runs in the park. Then after finally opening it experienced more problems within the first week of full operation. It makes me wonder how many issues they found during factory testing before even shipping it to Knott's.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:02 pm

COASTERelic wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:^It is still closed according to the website. It’s been down for about two months now. I heard they were testing with water dummies a few weeks ago, but I guess it’s still having issues.

Isn't this nothing more than a carnival ride? Hard to believe there are so may issues.

Riptide says "Hi."
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ace Of Spades » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:25 am

DJeXeL wrote:
COASTERelic wrote:

Riptide says "Hi."

They really have had shitty luck with big flat-rides in the last few decades, huh? Between Riptide, Windseeker, Hammerhead, and now Sol Spin, they sure do know how to pick them.
Ignore the screaming in the woods...

Everything is fine.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Looks like most of the vertical track has been installed. The drop is about complete as well, minus the holding brake.
73A89718-731F-453D-AF9B-C6DC39C28BB0.jpeg
C21D48E7-07F6-4004-8A16-7E44F7FABBE5.jpeg
Credits: 172
[Top 5] - (1) Skyrush - (2) Fury 325 - (3) Intimidator 305 - (4) El Toro - (5) Kingda Ka (front row)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 pm

^ Well, it looks more impressive, if it has to be sticking up above the mine train 'mountain,' than Boomerang ever did. :wink:

(The lighting on it at night, will make that lift hill look amazing, above the mine train!)
IMG_2099.JPG
One last Boomerang (r.i.p.) look - Sept.12, 2016. After West Coast Bash weekend.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!