TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Hangtime was testing with riders on Monday. (Skip to 7:33). This dude took quite a bit of footage that day. It looks pretty sluggish in the beginning, but it looks like it generally speeds up a little bit by the end of the video. It was also windy that day, which I'm sure was a factor in its sluggishness. I can't wait to ride this thing.

i've seen it sluggish, and i've also watched it go through the course much quicker. sometimes it stops, then goes really slow before dropping. other times, i've seen it almost stop, then drop. also, some with water dummies, and other times without. i'd rather it go through the course a bit faster than hanging on every inversion.

One thing I'm noticing that worries me a little is that it seems to ease the train off the holding break instead of the sudden release on B&M divers. Hopefully there's still airtime aplenty on it though. It also dawned on me that with this set of elements, Hangtime is almost a direct Gerstlauer equivalent to Fahrenheit at Hersheypark. And I think that's a good thing.

Sounds about right....

5d4e6c923ee2988cacc7b4eec494b1ad.jpg

So freaking true!

I was thinking the same thing reading some of the comments. I was like... "Are people really complaining about hang time on a ride called "Hangtime?!"

People never stop amazing me!

I don't think people really understand the concept of hang time on a coaster, especially here in California. I mean do we really have coasters in this state that focus on that feature?

No... I don't think you do...

Don't know who the meme was directed at but I'm absolutely going to criticize Hangtime if it has too much hangtime once I ride it!

It's not like that kind of hangtime is what the park was getting at when they named it. And after riding a few relatively forceful Gerstlauer loopers in Germany last year I was hoping Knott's would get one of their own. But even if not, it sure beats Boomerang!

Sounds about right....

5d4e6c923ee2988cacc7b4eec494b1ad.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining - just making an observation. I love the lapbar-only hang time on Full Throttle and am really looking forward to a ride that focuses on that.

It's not like that kind of hangtime is what the park was getting at when they named it.

Well, they played on the words hang ten, but by naming it hangtime I don't know how anyone could reach a different conclusion. Hangtime isn't a surfing term....

Well, they played on the words hang ten, but by naming it hangtime I don't know how anyone could reach a different conclusion.

The ride spends time hanging you over the first drop, hence “Hangtime.” That’s what the name is referring to.

It's not like that kind of hangtime is what the park was getting at when they named it.

Well, they played on the words hang ten, but by naming it hangtime I don't know how anyone could reach a different conclusion. Hangtime isn't a surfing term....

Trust me, I live in Huntington Beach where the US Open of Surfing is held every year so I know the terminology when I hear it. Yes, it's not a surf term (though I've never heard someone actually say "hang ten!" with any degree of seriousness either), but it does come across as the kind of thing some out of touch executive or marketing guy might think is a surfing term. I just feel assuming that CF deliberately named the ride after the speed at which it's supposed to traverse the inversions is giving them too much credit lol. I think Arthur_Seaton got it right.

Oh good lord, I think we all understand that the ride's pacing through the slow sections isn't why they called the ride Hangtime. It was a joke and personally I thought it was hilarious but let's not seriously spend time analyzing this.

Oh good lord, I think we all understand that the ride's pacing through the slow sections isn't why they called the ride Hangtime. It was a joke and personally I thought it was hilarious but let's not seriously spend time analyzing this.

Yeah but... but... but it's fun and... and... we all have egos to protect and... and... Yeah, okay.

Hanging 10 is a surfing term. It's an old school long boarding trick. Thank you google for teaching me that in 10 seconds.

The surfer in the sign logo is not hanging 10, so lets have a 10 page discussion on that inaccurate detail instead...

Hang Loose is also a surfing term. Make a fist, stick out your thumb and pinky finger and say " hang loose, brah" . Let's be honest. At a park who's claim to fame is a Ghost Town.... Hang Time sounds like something involving a lynch mob. Shoulda called it Wedged...an homage to local surf spot The Wedge. they coulda shown videos on the TV screens in the line of Surfers getting barrel rolled and wiping out on 20 footers at the Wedge and face planting in the sand.

Hang Loose is also a surfing term. Make a fist, stick out your thumb and pinky finger and say " hang loose, brah" . Let's be honest. At a park who's claim to fame is a Ghost Town.... Hang Time sounds like something involving a lynch mob. Shoulda called it Wedged...an homage to local surf spot The Wedge. they coulda shown videos on the TV screens in the line of Surfers getting barrel rolled and wiping out on 20 footers at the Wedge and face planting in the sand.

Just a hunch, but I don't think Knott's is afraid of associating with old western style hangings....

But I don't think anyone besides you will make that assumption either.