The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1421 - HangTime Update w/ Testing Footage!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby jtaudioacc » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Shut It Down wrote:Nice footage, by far the best I’ve seen yet. I think the drop will be great. It looks like the ride itself is ready to go, how’s the station and exit building looking?

yeah, drop should be fun. i do wonder what total drop height is. because the bottom of the drop is still maybe 15 feet from the ground. 150 foot lift, 10 foot or so down to the holding brake, and 15 feet above ground = 120-125 foot drop? but whatever, it looks like a fun coaster. looking forward to getting on it soon.

the station roof looks done. i did see the control booth kind of boxed in. the exit and gift shop look like they still need the final stucco, or whatever they plan to finish off in. overall, still looks like a lot to do. i think you can see some of the queue with a white curved thing over it in the video from the sky tower.

i was only there about an hour to walk around and check out the coaster. nothing was happening at xcelerator while i was there around 5-6pm.

bought a knott's magnet. figured i should have something from the closest park to me. i like these 3d type laser cut magnets some of the parks have now.

IMG_3735.JPG

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CedarFlags » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm super stoked for them to start testing the lighting on Hangtime, hopefully soon. That's gonna be really neat to see when its operating.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby joelwee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm

I spent the afternoon at the park yesterday. Even though it was raining everywhere else, it was cloudy but dry at Knott's. The clouds dissipated a little bit in mid-late afternoon, which made for a warm day.

Xcelerator was testing the red train all day, but it's still not open to riders.

I also saw Hangtime testing around 7:00. Several people have already posted great footage, so I'll spare you my crappy iPhone video. :lol:

I like how Knott's posted Peanuts comics on the construction wall. This one was noteworthy.
peanuts.jpg
I'm pretty sure they're trolling us.
Seat, don't fail me now!

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm

HAHAHAHA, that is so funny! I feel all Cedar Fair constructions walls should have the comic on it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 pm

That is awesome. :nina:
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Kinda fun watching the webcams right now, they are multi train testing Hangtime right now.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 pm

SoCalJasonland wrote:After watching two trains run on Hangtime, I just came up with a rough maximum capacity of 640 people per hour. Station dispatch, lift to drop is approx 40 seconds. The rest of the ride is approx 30 seconds. Then it appears to take approx 20 seconds of brake run travel before next train can dispatch. If they can keep up with a 90-second dispatch cycle, we have: 60 min x 60 sec. = 3600 seconds per hour / 90 seconds per dispatch = 40 dispatches per hour @ 16 people per train = 640 people per hour. If the dispatch time falls to 2 minutes, the capacity falls to 30 dispatches per hour @ 16 people = 480 people per hour.

I know this was posted a few pages back, but after watching them run three trains for the past half hour or so, I think this is a very good estimate of the maximum capacity. Somewhere between 600 and 640 pph.

With three trains, they seem to dispatch almost exactly every 90 seconds (I got an average of 89.6 second dispatches over a half dozen of them). The pattern seems to be dispatching a train when the previous train has reached the top of the non-inverting dive drop loop thingy (is there even a name for this?). Assuming 15 people per train (accounting for an empty seat or two every now and then), 90-second dispatches means 40 trains sent per hour. 40x15 = 600pph. Just like SoCalJasonland said.

Even though it takes a while for the train to catch on to the lift and go up, this is actually an advantage since it allows the train behind it to unload in the station. I think, assuming dispatches are good, trains will stack for a maximum of 30 seconds. This is actually quite good for a ride that can run three trains without a MCBR.

I think 600pph is quite good, and assuming full trains every dispatch, that number can reach 640pph. Of course, as we all know, this can vary a lot. But considering the hot mess that is GhostRider’s operations and frequent one-train service on Xcelerator, I think this will be one of the better capacity rides in the park. Hopefully once this and Xcelerator both open, the crowds will be a little more diluted and not everybody and their mom will flock to GhostRider.

Just thought I’d add my two cents. I find things like capacity and multi-train operation really interesting and fun.
Credits: 170
Top 5: (1) Skyrush (2) Fury 325 (3) Intimidator 305 (4) El Toro (5) Maverick
Instagram @west.coast.thrills

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm

When you factor in guest delay...600 really equals 500

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:17 pm

http://screamscape.com/html/knott-s_berry_farm.htm

Screamscape is posting rumors that HangTime may be open by next weekend. Anyone hear anything about this? Anyone get any media day invites?
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby joelwee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:22 pm

chickenbowl wrote:http://screamscape.com/html/knott-s_berry_farm.htm

Screamscape is posting rumors that HangTime may be open by next weekend. Anyone hear anything about this? Anyone get any media day invites?

That's an odd way to spell "Xcelerator".
Seat, don't fail me now!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!