TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

2018 Boysenberry Festival Media Day!

As spring roles around, Knott's Berry Farm transforms their park into a field of boysenberries as far as the eyes can see. This event remains popular with locals as a great way to celebrate the boysenberry with fun food and drinks as well enjoying classic Knott's entertainment with a boysenberry twist!

During the media event we were given the Boysenberry Festival Tasting Card, which is a bit different from last year's card. This year they have increased the price to $30, but includes a bump to 8 different food items. This change is a welcomed way to taste even more of the most popular items the event has to offer. Included with the tasting card is: Slow-Cooked Boysenberry short rib, Boysenberry Pierogies, Boysenberry Cheese Quesadilla, Boysenberry Elote, Boysenberry Coconut Macaroon, Boysenberry Hummus w/ Grilled Pita Bread, Boysenberry Sausage on a Bun, and Boysenberry Chicken Wings. The portion sizes with the tasting card are smaller than the other full-priced items around the park, but with the low price of the tasting card it's totally worth it! A few other great features for the tasting card: If you aren't interested in one of the items, you can use the tab on the card for any of the listed items. Secondly, you can use the tasting cards through the entire length of the festival from now through April 8.

During the media event, we had such a great time enjoying the festive decorations, the wonderfully playful entertainment, and of course the boysenberry overload of food and drinks! This is certainly an event you will want to see from park opening to closing, so arrive hungry and stay for the day!

Thank you to Knott's Berry farm for inviting Theme Park Review to this wonderful event!

01.thumb.jpg.da21ca833f4f06e062e28e84a3f7da8c.jpg

Welcome back to Knott's, on a perfect spring day!

02.thumb.jpg.3193c826a3085fa3067067bed4376561.jpg

We were able to experience many of the items on the Tasting Pass, as well as a few of the wines at the Wilderness Hall.

03.thumb.jpg.17167cf675fc6dd9143ad14ecb1f988a.jpg

All of the items on the Tasting Card can be found within the Ghost Town area.

04.thumb.jpg.9357e0ee3b94b13202fbc8facb365775.jpg

We watched a short video on the history of the boysenberry, and it was a nice place to sit and enjoy our first item. The food photos below are arranged in order of what we believe is the best "value" from least to most. Remember that you have 8 pull tabs on the Tasting Card, so if you want to go for the items with the best "pay-off", this list can help!

05.thumb.jpg.3fff164d9681226700f8cf4ca0794ed6.jpg

Boysenberry quesadilla. The real star is the boysenberry salsa that comes with it.

06.thumb.jpg.51bd49161123a32f5aa77c48c9a40868.jpg

The Boysenberry Hummus and Pita. Way more hummus than anyone should consume in one sitting.

07.thumb.jpg.f4b30a041e4399755609857245872fbc.jpg

Boysenberry Pierogies. It was great with the boysenberry/onion/bacon mix on top, but whatever boysenberry concoction was on the right side was still frozen.

08.thumb.jpg.113615d864f1736a3a57390701bd9c7e.jpg

Boysenberry chicken wings were as great as I remember them from last year. Normal chicken wings smothered in their boysenberry barbecue sauce.

09.thumb.jpg.3433ff952a2ff00d26f8394466414d5c.jpg

Even a chef from Dorney Park is helping during the Boysenberry Festival!

10.thumb.jpg.c539491cf2903a4ce5da96e900c08e6b.jpg

Boysenberry Elote was so flavorful and such a fun item!

11.thumb.jpg.dfe16f64b4e5fa9acec0c61a82f16932.jpg

The boysenberry sausage was fantastic and totally filling. We enjoyed it alongside the boysenberry punch, boysenberry wine, and the cheese plate that comes along with the wine tasting card.

12.thumb.jpg.e67ac71584782c42833e72e7c7ada365.jpg

Boysenberry Short ribs on a bed of rice was by far the most high-quality items on the tasting card. The portion was filling and had a nice variety of flavors!

15.thumb.jpg.ab603a75b17de03a6ec4f4359c176208.jpg

We also enjoyed the Cherry Pie wine which was from an outside winery.

16.thumb.jpg.550ed1b5f4ecf288c804cdd5b3b9fe55.jpg

We were able to see the Calico Saloon bar show, and the Boysenberry Bedlam Melodrama in the Bird Cage theater. Both we enjoyable "classic" Knott's-style shows with fun boysenberry twists.

18.thumb.jpg.5b77983f907621e1405e2aee026784b1.jpg

19.thumb.jpg.7ed276c23cf76d6dde278cf2474ecef6.jpg

A few photo bonuses: First Sol Spin in action!

20.thumb.jpg.45f27f284fe422f835a6972adae17827.jpg

21.thumb.jpg.d6a7446e08744b19a31e77ffb30a5e42.jpg

22.thumb.jpg.50f11723009e350c5e43937611c354b1.jpg

And lastly, here is a view the park from the Sky Cabin.

23.thumb.jpg.58f070c161f192de6b440ee6dabcbd46.jpg

You can see where the queue will snake below through the track.

24.thumb.jpg.5aa169bdac93f32bea3529a9525c668e.jpg

HangTime construction continues.

25.thumb.jpg.2db8bcfbae10df840c59290ed03698f9.jpg

We expect to hear an opening day announcement soon.

26.thumb.jpg.f953606dd770794efcaa9d36cd38946f.jpg

Once again, a big "thank you" to Knott's Berry Farm for allowing us to see the Boysenberry Festival! Be sure to experience it now through April 8.

hey y'all!! i just uploaded a trip report solely focused around the boardwalk section at knotts, if you guys could check it out (since i spent a lot of time trying to make iPhone photos look good), that'd be fantastic!! thanks in advance!!

-

https:www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72745&p=1848738#p1848738

Glad you tagged this here, I hadn't realized you had updated that older string with new pics/report.

looking good thus far!

re: Boysenberry festival report from wrs28330

1st: LOVE the pics from SkyCabin.. how nice to see it operating again, and such a great view of Silver Bullet (yeah, yeah, Hang Time too ).

as far as the food, the vast majority of it looks absolutely delicious (tho i find the color of the quesadilla to be off-putting. Oh I'm sure it tastes great, but one eats with one's eyes 1st, so I'd be wary to try it.. . LOL. .I'd give it serious side eye):

360ff645f6f8a0e5cfe941fd709efd64.gif

really intrigued by the Pierogies. . my guess on what the "still frozen" component was, is likely a Boysenberry sour cream of some sort. But even if still frozen, could have worked as a sorbet of some kind.. . . yeah, likely just wasn't taken out of the cooler early enough to be ready for the crowds. still looks like it would be fantastic tho.

and those short ribs. .. mmmmmm

thanks for the pics/report!

While we wait for the real HangTime to open, here's my plastic version of it!

This is stupid impressive. I love it! I like how you can see the whole structure bend and flex as the car flies through.

agreed.. LOL. . was having trouble finding the words to comment.. but "stupid impressive" is a perfect summary.

well done, Ryan.

really intrigued by the Pierogies. . my guess on what the "still frozen" component was, is likely a Boysenberry sour cream of some sort. But even if still frozen, could have worked as a sorbet of some kind.. . . yeah, likely just wasn't taken out of the cooler early enough to be ready for the crowds. still looks like it would be fantastic tho.

It was boysenberry sour cream. Mine wasn't frozen at all. My personal fave was the elote corn. And it was cool to see the executive chef from Dorney Park there! He brought up the good point that his park is in the off season, and it's freezing cold there with blizzards. Why not come to CA and steal ideas? He really liked the idea of a 2 ft long hot dog for his own park. But he does recognize boysenberries should remain a CA exclusive.

Another point that not many are mentioning... this year, the tasting card is flexible. You are not tied to the 8 items listed. You can use it to get 8 short ribs if you wanted. I love that! A few items off the card would still need to be paid for separately (the boysenberry funnel cake, ice cream sandwich, boba, etc.)

My only disappointment: they didn't bring back the meatballs, my favorite item from last year. And while it hasn't gotten any hype because it's a holdover from last year, the alligator bites are back as well at the Calico Fry Cart.

Lastly, for those who missed the adorable Beagle Bonanza train ride in Camp Snoopy during the Peanuts Festival, it's still up and running!

re: Boysenberry festival report from wrs28330

1st: LOVE the pics from SkyCabin.. how nice to see it operating again, and such a great view of Silver Bullet (yeah, yeah, Hang Time too ).

as far as the food, the vast majority of it looks absolutely delicious (tho i find the color of the quesadilla to be off-putting. Oh I'm sure it tastes great, but one eats with one's eyes 1st, so I'd be wary to try it.. . LOL. .I'd give it serious side eye):

360ff645f6f8a0e5cfe941fd709efd64.gif

and those short ribs. .. mmmmmm

thanks for the pics/report!

Love it Bianca

I saw Xcelerator testing over the weekend, but has there been any word as to when it'll reopen?

Apparently it has been making several consecutive rollbacks the last couple days and that has caused a few unexpected delays. The park hasn’t released anything of course. At this point, it’s just a “time will tell” situation.

Oh wow, Boysenberry Festival and a kickass K'nex coaster! This thread suddenly got an injection of awesomeness.

I was thinking the same thing. That K'Nex HangTime coaster looks dope and I can't wait to go to Boysenberry Fest in April. I love the flexiblibilty of using the punch cards for different items. I don't like cheese so I'll be using the quesadilla punch for an extra short rib.

Boysenberry Festival tips...

The Macaroons are only $1.50, so don't use one of your tasting card punches for them... you can get a second helping of something more expensive and then just buy a macaroon for super cheap.

The Boysenberry Meatballs ARE still being offered, but they are only served inside Ghost Town Grill. So, you have to make it a sit down meal for those.

The Boba Milk Tea was originally only being offered at the coffee hut by the Boardwalk fountain, but now they are also selling it inside the GT Bakery (next to Ghostrider).