TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Is that element over the station supposed to be a cutback or an overbanked turn? I know it doesn't matter. I'm just curious.Either way, looks fun. Really excited to see it finished.

The park is not including it as part of the 5 inversions, so by their definition, it is simply an over-banked turn. It’s pretty steep though!

With that being said, the first inversion on HangTime just barely inverts, almost in the way Full Throttle’s dive drop thing or Silver Bullet’s over-banked curve barely inverts. But like you said, it really doesn’t matter, and it’s all open to interpretation.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if there will be any kind of extensive theming for Hangtime? From everything I’ve seen it doesn’t seem like there will be much at all, if any. I was kind of hoping for a surf theme in spirit of Windjammer. The ride sucked but it was themed very nicely.

It will have a surf theme. Aside from the chaser lights, the seat backs are supposed to be surf boards. The queue will be beach themed with water and sand. And the back wall of the Mine Ride will be painted with a mural that will portray a tropical beach scene. Rumor is it will be painted in such a way that it will change with the setting sun.

Are we talking about the drop from over the top of first loop as being the first inversion?

I assume so, because Knott’s advertises as five inversions, and that one is more of an inversion than the over bank, so that’s what makes sense to me. The angle of this photo makes it look like it doesn’t even go upside down, but I’m sure it will feel like you are, and once it is built and we can look from all angles, it may be easier to tell.

0934DE80-6CA8-46F8-AAE7-A8F98995E04E.thumb.jpeg.3a4121583a9143c110272ed4f5505931.jpeg

It will have a surf theme. Aside from the chaser lights, the seat backs are supposed to be surf boards. The queue will be beach themed with water and sand. And the back wall of the Mine Ride will be painted with a mural that will portray a tropical beach scene. Rumor is it will be painted in such a way that it will change with the setting sun.

The park has not had good luck with surf themed rides...third times the charm?

I know probably bearing a dead horse here, but any word on Xcelerator? Anything at all? Any rumors of any kind regardless how reliable? I need something! Dippin' Dots guy, where have you been ?!?

When it comes to Xcelerator, I think we’re all in the same boat. The park has been very hush-hush about it. All I know is one of the trains is parked in the station with the second one completely out of sight. There was also a giant metal thing (catch car?) laying down in the station. I’ve heard everything from it opening in March, to it opening in 2019. Nobody knows.

I’m still convinced HangTime will open first.

EDIT: I also just realized that it has been closed for about 6 months now, which is the same amount of time it was closed when the incident happened in 2009. That happened in September ‘09, and it reopened by April ‘10. This time, it closed in mid-July ‘17, and it’s already January 2018. Must be really serious.

Went to Knott’s today and it was the most crowded I’ve ever seen it. To put it in perspective Jauguar! had waits up to 140 minutes. In other news they were aggressively testing Sol Spin today. It was constantly running throughout the day but never opened. My guess is it will be opening very soon, possibly tomorrow, but then again who knows....

Went to Knott’s today and it was the most crowded I’ve ever seen it. To put it in perspective Jauguar! had waits up to 140 minutes. In other news they were aggressively testing Sol Spin today. It was constantly running throughout the day but never opened. My guess is it will be opening very soon, possibly tomorrow, but then again who knows....

I’m glad to hear that Sol Spin is testing! But knowing its history, it will probably operate for a month or so only to shut down again for an extended period of time. I think the park has been playing around with the ride cycle (since we’ve seen 3 or 4 iterations of it already), and that has only lead to more technical problems. That makes the most sense to me as to why it’s been closed so much.

I would gladly take a shorter ride cycle if it means the ride is more reliable, and I think others would agree.

Man, I don't remember the park drawing crowds like this when I was in high school 7-8 years ago! I wonder if it's the fact that they started doing monthly payment options for the annual passes, making it more affordable for people so more people have them and go now? I don't remember the monthly options being available when I was growing up.

I know probably bearing a dead horse here, but any word on Xcelerator? Anything at all? Any rumors of any kind regardless how reliable? I need something! Dippin' Dots guy, where have you been ?!?

When it comes to Xcelerator, I think we’re all in the same boat. The park has been very hush-hush about it. All I know is one of the trains is parked in the station with the second one completely out of sight. There was also a giant metal thing (catch car?) laying down in the station. I’ve heard everything from it opening in March, to it opening in 2019. Nobody knows.

I’m still convinced HangTime will open first.

EDIT: I also just realized that it has been closed for about 6 months now, which is the same amount of time it was closed when the incident happened in 2009. That happened in September ‘09, and it reopened by April ‘10. This time, it closed in mid-July ‘17, and it’s already January 2018. Must be really serious.

Yeah, I think I'm SOL for my visit next month. Hey, the flume will be open and so will Ghostrider so there is still plenty to look forward to.

So Knott's has once again changed the parking policy for Knott's Marketplace. The most recent change before this was one hour free and an additional two hours with a receipt from Chicken Dinner Restaurant (CDR), TGI Fridays or any other Marketplace retailer/food establishment.

Literally you could go and buy a latte from Starbucks or a cookie from the bakery and get three hours free. But now they've changed it yet again. While the first hour is still free, now you only get the two additional hours free if you spend at least $18 from a Marketplace establishment. Now of course two people eating at CDR or Fridays will easily spend $18. But that experience will also pretty much use up your entire three hours. It wouldn't be of any financial benefit when the regular parking lot is already $18.

I personally understand the point of view of Knott's. People have abused the Marketplace Parking for years, using it for cheap and even free amusement park parking. I don't believe the crackdown is a greedy money grab by the park. But at what point are they hurting what is left of the Marketplace? Right now the Marketplace is comprised of CDR, Fridays, Virginia's, the Emporium, the Snoopy Headquarters, the sports shop (which now appears to have been closed to allow for an expansion of the Snoopy store, the bakery, the candy store, Chicken-to-Go, Starbucks, the Berry Market, Cinnabon, the California Shop (I didn't even think that was still open honestly) and I think an ice cream or hot dog shop.

Some of those can easily be hit an an hour, like Chicken-to-go, the Berry Market and the bakery. But aside from that, who is currently making a trip to the Marketplace solely to go shopping? I mean who wakes up one day and says, "Hey, I need some more Snoopy gear"? It seems like most of those other stores really only exist to cater to people coming and going from the park. At this point it almost seems it would make more sense to only keep CDR, Friday's, Chicken-to-go, the Berry Market, the bakery, and maybe a single gift shop, and raze the rest to expand the entrance area.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this whole situation? Is Knott's being greedy or are they really just trying to crackdown on parking cheaters? And will this negatively impact the Marketplace in the long run? Oh an how about the east property? Who's going to make the trek over to Independence Hall now?

So Knott's has once again changed the parking policy for Knott's Marketplace. The most recent change before this was one hour free and an additional two hours with a receipt from Chicken Dinner Restaurant (CDR), TGI Fridays or any other Marketplace retailer/food establishment.

Literally you could go and buy a latte from Starbucks or a cookie from the bakery and get three hours free. But now they've changed it yet again. While the first hour is still free, now you only get the two additional hours free if you spend at least $18 from a Marketplace establishment. Now of course two people eating at CDR or Fridays will easily spend $18. But that experience will also pretty much use up your entire three hours.

Three hours for two people to eat?!

I take it you've never waited in line during the busy time for CDR. You can sometimes wait for up to an hour to get seated. Back in the day they actually a queue set up outside and people stood and waited. Now with these cool light up beeper things people can go walk the shops. But even still, once seated, it can easily take a couple hours by the time you're finished. A lot of people sit back and relax and talk. I for one rarely ever spend less two hours at any sit down restaurant when not dining alone. And of course the bigger your party, the longer it takes.

I have never seen a line since they’ve remodeled the place. And there’s bar seating now too.

If you are sitting in a restaurant for 2-3 hours you either had the slowest service imaginable or are eating your food in rabbit like portions one tiny bite at a time. You better be continuing to order stuff if you’re sitting around that long.

Educational tours will still visit independence hall and keep it a profitable part of the property.