TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Thinking about scary farm tonight....whats the status on rides closed...just monte, and xcelerator?

Just got off the phone with Domm, he’s there and reports that Montezuma (lights were on and train on the tracks) & Xcelerator are down. Pony express and the log ride were down, but just re-opened operations. We will be there tomorrow, and hopefully Montezumas is open.

This years premier theme park Haunt in Southern California is Scary Farm. They really stepped it up. The new mazes were amazing, and the returning mazes were vastly improved upon. Even the Hanging show was funny again (it hasn’t been in 3-4 years, sorry but not sorry. That’s just the truth). I found HHN this year to be super lack luster. Their scare zones were weak and seemed like an after thought, while Knotts thrived. I’ll go into more detail later, if anyone wants. I’m currently driving home at the moment.

This years premier theme park Haunt in Southern California is Scary Farm. They really stepped it up. The new mazes were amazing, and the returning mazes were vastly improved upon. Even the Hanging show was funny again (it hasn’t been in 3-4 years, sorry but not sorry. That’s just the truth). I found HHN this year to be super lack luster. Their scare zones were weak and seemed like an after thought, while Knotts thrived. I’ll go into more detail later, if anyone wants. I’m currently driving home at the moment.

Great to hear, going soon and I can't wait. Haven't been in a few years. Also, was Monte open? Someone posted it was open, but their official site still says closed until TBD. Hoping to ride it on my visit this Thursday.

Even the Hanging show was funny again (it hasn’t been in 3-4 years, sorry but not sorry. That’s just the truth). I found HHN this year to be super lack luster.

I may be in the minority, but I've never found it all that funny. There may be a good joke here and there, but I find most of it quite immature in a bad way. Never been my thing. I also thought pretty much the same for Bill & Ted, but at least that had sexy eye candy, haha.

Also, Sol Spin has been on a longer cycle ever since it came back from it's 3 week rehab a month or so ago. Are you saying it's changed again recently?

Even the Hanging show was funny again (it hasn’t been in 3-4 years, sorry but not sorry. That’s just the truth). I found HHN this year to be super lack luster.

I may be in the minority, but I've never found it all that funny. There may be a good joke here and there, but I find most of it quite immature in a bad way. Never been my thing. I also thought pretty much the same for Bill & Ted, but at least that had sexy eye candy, haha.

Also, Sol Spin has been on a longer cycle ever since it came back from it's 3 week rehab a month or so ago. Are you saying it's changed again recently?

Oh, there was much sexy eye candy this year.

Yes. I was in the park on septemeber 9th and noticed the ride cycle had been extended. But was still only going in one direction. But at haunt this weekend the ride cycled in both direction and was moving much faster than two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new mazes were amazing, and the returning mazes were vastly improved upon.

That's great news! I watched a couple of videos of mazes like Dark Ride and it's clear that they went above and beyond this time around.

I found HHN this year to be super lackluster. Their scare zones were weak and seemed like an afterthought, while Knotts thrived.

Yeah, HH had some issues when we visited — especially the non-existent scare zones.

Fast progress! Trying to get as much done before the rain weather comes?

I wondered what was taking so long to get work started once demo as complete. I thought they were just dicking around waiting until national roller coaster day. But then in one of the many videos which I now can't find, the park spokesman mentioned to the reporters that they had been working closely with Gerstlauer on the design and had just made the decision to demolish the old RipTide building because they still needed more space. I had wondered why they hadn't taken that building down yet. So it turns out that they have been in the design phase this entire time. Their seeming to not know what they were doing was actually just that. They didn't know exactly how much space they would need because the ride was still being worked out. That seems odd to me. Why wouldn't they have everything ready to go before they even start tearing down Boomerang? Is it common to be working on ride design during construction?

For those visiting Scary Farm this year...

check out the atmosphere show in The Hollow (camp snoopy). A friend of mine is in the cast, and it's pretty cool. Kind of a Ghost Town Alive vibe... characters living out a storyline for the area in a series of vignettes during the evening, and then there's a big finale at midnight.

Fast progress! Trying to get as much done before the rain weather comes?

I wondered what was taking so long to get work started once demo as complete. I thought they were just dicking around waiting until national roller coaster day. But then in one of the many videos which I now can't find, the park spokesman mentioned to the reporters that they had been working closely with Gerstlauer on the design and had just made the decision to demolish the old RipTide building because they still needed more space. I had wondered why they hadn't taken that building down yet. So it turns out that they have been in the design phase this entire time. Their seeming to not know what they were doing was actually just that. They didn't know exactly how much space they would need because the ride was still being worked out. That seems odd to me. Why wouldn't they have everything ready to go before they even start tearing down Boomerang? Is it common to be working on ride design during construction?

Design has definitely been in progress for a while. I don’t think the delay in the construction and opening of the boardwalk bbq would have been if they weren’t designing that entire area around the new ride.

Is this going to be under the station?

I don't think so. We know from the renderings that the back half of the track - after the second inversion - wraps around the lift hill and the station before entering the cobra roll, which means that the lift and station should be set further back from the fence than that. More toward the center. This fan made video, though not official, also gives a pretty good idea of the layout and what I'm talking about.

. Assuming that the entire ride is confined to the area within the current construction fences, then that space you circled looks too close to the edge of ride "property" to be the station footprint. My guess is that's just footing foundations. You'll notice that across the way near the employee lounge there is another similar pit with rebar framing. I would surmise that the station and lift will be in that center area that has yet to be dug up. Or it could be further back off camera near where the old RipTide building was. Then again, I could be wrong and so could the video. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.