Some Cool Aerial Photo's of Disneyland and DCA!!!

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Banned

Postby maliboomer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:57 pm

I never relised how big the "its a small world" show building is!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Jose Eber wrote:I tried doing something like that for WDW -- after about 2 hours I gave up -- hardly got anywhere...even though only half the 27000 acres are in color.

ahecht -- any plans to do WDW?

No, for a few reasons.

First off, as you stated, only parts of WDW are in color. Specifically, only the Magic Kingdom and the parts of EPCOT north of the American pavilion entrance (most of the southern world showcase backstage areas are not covered).

Second, WDW is huge. The area covered by a photo of just the guest areas of the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT would have to cover 2.3 square kilometers. Add in backstage areas, the Seven Seas lagoon, and the parking lots, and you now have 6.8 square kilometers to cover. By comparison, my picture with Disneyland, DCA, all backstage areas, Downtown Disney, the parking structure, and all the Disney hotels covers only 2.3 square kilometers.

Third, the aerial photos of that area are not as good quality, and look kind of grainy at full resolution. It's not worth my time to do them if the result won't be so great.

However, the images I used are now available through the National Map project, and can be accessed at http://terraserver-usa.com. If you want to tile them yourself, go ahead. Just make sure to select "Urban Areas" images, select the largest tile size (the size selector is in the upper left), and click the "download" button in the upper right to have it display a single image instead of individual tiles. With those settings, you can get .05 square kilometers per tile.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!