Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby bgtlover » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Interestingly I didn't find any bit of Racer rough on either side when I rode in June. I had already ridden the rest of the wooden coasters earlier in the day. I'm generally very sensitive to any sort of roughness...and nothing from it. Only thing uncomfortable to me at the park was Vortex.
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby DavidB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:18 pm

I enjoy good wood coasters on average more than any other type of coaster and I love The Beast and The Boss. I found Racer to be uncomfortable and not particularly exciting at all when I went last year for Haunt. It was probably my least favorite coaster on that visit...or maybe invertigo. It has that "vertical" roughness, jackhammer kinda feeling, that older wooden coasters tend to get. I don't mind lateral roughness at all, but I hate when a ride punches me in the back like Racer did. I didn't pay much attention to what seat we rode in, so maybe I dropped the ball and rode in a wheel seat.

And for the record, I think RMC redoing one track of Racer is a cool, if blasphemous, idea. When the RMC Racer stuff came up earlier in the year I definitely thought that at the time. Keep(hopefully retrack) the original experience and offer a new one on the other track, especially if the timing could still allow them to race.

I'm really going to try to make it to Haunt this weekend, so if anyone who frequents or has KI as their home park has any recommendations for specific seats on Racer or anything else, I'd love to hear them. Front seat for Beast obviously, and I generally prefer back seat on things like MT and Diamondback, but let me know your favorites!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:53 pm

Ape wrote:Beast was down into the switchbacks
Banshee used several switchbacks
Flight of Fear was out of the building and through most of the switchbacks outside
Diamondback had a half full queue both times
Mystic Timbers the first time had a half full queue and the second time was a little less than that.

Most of the haunts we passed we didn't wait for as the lines looked over 20 minutes especially field of screams and killmart.

I was just very glad to have Fast Lane Plus as we did no waiting for anything with it otherwise we would have rode a lot less.

Strange... I witnessed none of that! lol The Beast at the end of the night, when it's usually the most crowded, was almost a walk on. Banshee had a couple of switchbacks, but was less than a 15 minute wait. Not bad at all. FoF was the worst (next to Firehawk), but only 1 and a half switchbacks outside of the building, and all of the interior switchbacks closed. Diamondback wasn't past the vending machines all three times we rode, so only about 15 minutes. Mystic Timbers had the shortest wait I've ever had for it, nearly to the bottom of the stairs the first time! Second time wasn't very long either. Maybe 20 minutes.

I guess I just had absolutely amazing timing ALL night long! :lol: Yay me! (You DID go Friday, right? Not Saturday?)

Regarding The Racer, I think the idea of a traditional woodie, and an RMC woodie racing (or dueling) is great, and would love to see it someday! Not sure if a conversion would work, but as a ground-up concept it's pretty cool! As for The Racer itself, I rarely ride it personally, not so much because it's rough (though it IS a bit rough, at least in certain places), but rather it's just uninspiring, at least compared to all the other great options at KI. I think only one of the four Haunts I've gone to in recent years did I ride it, the first time back in 2015. I rode it again with my kids when I took them for the first time last year. But it's not something I'd typically ride when going there, and if it was gone, it would be less missed by me at least, than Firehawk will be. But I do appreciate the fact it's a classic racing wooden coaster, so I'm glad it's still around!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:22 am

yeah we were there Friday. You got lucky. When we left the park at midnight the Parking lot had cars out past the south exit which usually means it is crowded even in summer when Soak City is open.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:13 am

*Shrugs* Don't know what to say. The park didn't seem crowded in the least, the entire night to me. Even walking the pathways, there didn't seem to be that many people. I've never had really bad crowds at Haunt, and this was my least crowded time there. Strange...

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Hello, I will be at the park on Sunday from open to close. Will the holiday weekend impact crowds to the point that fastlane will be needed? Thanks in advance!
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RaceBoarder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm

bluestreak wrote:Hello, I will be at the park on Sunday from open to close. Will the holiday weekend impact crowds to the point that fastlane will be needed? Thanks in advance!

Columbus Day weekend tends to be one of the busiest of the Fall, so yes, you will need it...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Kings Island, Carowinds, and Kings Dominion offer the best skip the line offerings I've ever experienced. You'll get your money's worth. Buy it immediately when you get into the park. It may not pull its weight as much during the first couple hours, but by the end of the night you'll know that you made a fantastic decision. We buy it on every visit.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Noted. Thanks guys!
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Let us know how your trip goes. Have a good time.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!