Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:51 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:
boldikus wrote:I mean... I know people would lose their sh*t. And then they'd get over it when they realize its going to be the best coaster ever.

What's funny is I posted about that on Facebook and asked people to use their imagination as if the Beast was being removed/RMC'd and they won't even think about it, haha. I genuinely want to know what would happen.

It's just a lot of "Firehawk is getting kicked over to the Kentucky side" replies :lmao:

I just saw Kentucky Kingdom's post. If KI is really selling Firehawk to KK that's going to be one of the most bizarre transactions.

EDIT:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby SFOG1991 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 pm

IntaminLove wrote:
bgtlover wrote:You've obviously never ridden NIghthawk at Carowinds and been stuck there on the holding brakes while it took 10 minutes (or more) to dispatch the train in the station. It's not comfortable. Add in the sun? worse. It has a "shade structure". but it's translucent so it still bakes you in the summer heat. There is nothing wrong with Firehawk having a dual load station with only 2 trains.

I haven't been on Nighthawk, but I've been stuck on Firehawk's lift hill and brake run. The sun was beating on me both times, but that didn't make me hate the ride. Everyone likes and dislikes rides for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that. The dual loading station is wasted on two trains. The slow dispatch doesn't help either. Agree to disagree.

The dual station is actually very helpful so you aren’t wasting away on the brake run for 10 minutes. If two trains stack with one station, two stations isn’t a waste. Plus, when I was last at the park, one station was designated for Fast Lane which worked well I thought.

Postby prozach626 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 pm

I guess it's the new par for the course that every time a new coaster is mentioned there's talk of RMC converting a wooden coaster to a hybrid, even in this case where there's really no justification for it.

As much as I think this will be Firehawk first, with Vortex being my second guess, it's still in the back of my head that The Bat has a realistic chance of being on the chopping block. Although I don't think it's going to happen, it wouldn't be the shock of the century.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm still stuck between Vortex and Firehawk...

I think one thing that's being overlooked is that Firehawk just flat out looks like shit. It's pretty much unheard of for Cedar Fair to let rides get to the point where the old paint is showing through everywhere and actively giving rides like Superman at Great Adventure a run for their money when it comes to overwhelming ugliness.

It's got to be at the point where they need to spend the money to paint it and while that won't be the driving factor in the desire to remove it it could help give them an extra nudge in that direction if it was ever seriously discussed anyway. It's appearance is likely also an indication of how the park views the ride in general.

On the other hand; removing Vortex is also pretty sensible and the line about the air being eerily calm is pretty on the nose. You could make that apply to the Bat or Firehawk but it's quite a stretch to do so.

Another interesting thing to note is that the park has decided to open up the area by Vortex and Firehawk for Winterfest this year (for the first time) which seems weird if they're expecting them to be active construction sites right away so I feel like whatever they're doing is going to follow Cedar Fair's new trend of closing rides super early and taking their time with construction of a replacement so it sort of doubles as a convenient budget cut. Obviously I could be wrong, but a coaster that's being torn apart with heavy equipment and unsightly debris everywhere within plain sight of guest areas (especially in the case of Vortex) is probably not the festive atmosphere they're going for for Winterfest. :lol:

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby vertigomike » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm

My main counterpoint to removing Vortex for a new attraction is why put a new anchor attraction there?
Even if Vortex is expendable (which I am in the keep-your-hand-off-of-Vortex-camp), I'm presuming we're talking about taking out a coaster and using that real estate for a new anchor attraction.

Vortex is neighborhood by Beast and a straight walkway down to Diamondback. Does it make sense to put what will be the park's biggest draw right in the middle when there is so much space to build at Kings Island already? Park flow/traffic has to be a heavy consideration in planning (more than we think).

Kings Island would be foolish to gut the second biggest attraction in Coney Mall (Vortex), but I don't think they'd put the park's best attraction there as a replacement either. Doesn't make much sense.
Beast.png
Last edited by vertigomike on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:45 pm.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/3daeb7ce4d5157dc4ad7d17c8391e12f.jpg[/img][/url]

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby vertigomike » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Oh yeah...

TARE FIREHAWK DOWNNNN :devil:
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/3daeb7ce4d5157dc4ad7d17c8391e12f.jpg[/img][/url]

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Yubstep101 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm

I wouldn't be upset with Firehawk going, it's sort of in a dead-end of the park (just like its counterpart in Maryland) and doesn't draw too many crowds as far as I'm concerned.
Top 10 Steel: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Wicked Cyclone 3. Millennium Force 4. Skyrush 5. Iron Rattler 6. Goliath (SFOG) 7. Lightning Run 8. Diamondback 9. Nitro 10. Superman The Ride (SFNE)

Top 10 Wood: 1. El Toro 2. Mystic Timbers 3. The Voyage 4. The Beast 5. Goliath (SFGAM) 6. Shivering Timbers 7. American Thunder 8. Lightning Racer 9. Hades 360 10. Prowler (WOF)

Coaster Count: 182

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:51 pm

I could be wayyy off the mark here, but I might as well throw this in.

Do you think proximity to Beast might play into this? To me it would somewhat ruin the famous nighttime "Beast experience" if there was a huge giga towering overhead. Firehawk is definitely a lot more on its own.

With all the pros mentioned of Firehawk being the one to go, it definitely sounds the most plausible. I'll still miss it, but whatever new replacing it is bound to be 1000x better, so I won't cry too much. ;)

Also, I remember reading somewhere that someone thought an amphitheater or warehouse that currently houses a Haunt maze was getting demolished too. Not sure if they meant the one near Racer that has Urgent Scare or the one near Beast that has Slaughterhouse. Anyone else hear anything about this?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:28 pm

I wanted to finally chime in here. When a park removes a coaster or a ride, it's usually the last thing they want to do.... and sometimes there really is no choice. Whenever a ride is removed, we have to remember it is somebody's favorite, too and whatever the news is, somebody isn't going to be happy. I felt that before with Kings Island when they removed the Flying Eagles.

Vortex is my favorite coaster there, so I said to myself a few years ago that with its age, it could be at any time. I hope it's not this time. The calm wind hint has made me eerily uncomfortable. Vortex fits the bill as a ride that's a bit rough around the edges and though it's extremely popular, has only a matter of time. I think I would have felt better if they invested in new Vekoma trains, but that doesn't mean much.

I also love the Bat, but I think there is still some life in it.

Firehawk however I never really cared much for either here or up north, and would be sad to lose another large piece of Geauga Lake, but I ride it maybe once or twice a season due to the uncomfortable flying position, so out of everything there, it's the one I would rather lose... but we'll see.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Angle O. Descent » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:30 pm

^^Proximity at theme parks does not appear to be an issue from what I can tell..........
goliathflashback-800x1024.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!