Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1690 - Kings Mills Antique Autos in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:54 am

I was at the park on Saturday, too, and while it was pretty busy, we were able to get on everything we wanted to many, many times with FP+ even with thunderstorms in the area closing nearly everything multiple times. If you were there on Saturday, Beast did close once or twice, but it was open around 9PM when we rode it.

The dollar days thing was completely a non issue. I think the reasoning behind it is actually very sound. Liquidate all food/beverage inventory as possible by selling it for $1 to maximize attendance on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Bring people in, avoid having to toss it all at the end of the season and making nothing on it.

The lines for $1 stuff were huge. However, when we walked past people with pizza and ice cream, the pizza looked like it was frozen pizza and the ice cream was all soft ice cream, so you kind of get what you pay for. We happily ate (and drank) at the sports bar place next to Diamondback and we got scooped ice cream at the place on the corner by the Eiffel Tower. Minimal to zero waits at either place for food/drink/ice cream.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 am

The pizza was the best it has been at any point in the year as it was fresh and it is LaRosas not frozen people. The Blue soft serve is excellent as well. The lines may have been huge but for us on Friday they moved very quickly.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Pseybert » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm

coasterbill wrote:
Pseybert wrote:Visiting from Orlando, my wife and I were in the park last night for her first ride on The Beast. We saved it for last. Unfortunately, it was down from 7pm until close. Pretty heartbreaking considering I convinced her to fly out here from Orlando for Cedar Point and Kings Island, while hyping up The Beast for the better part of the year.

Also, who's idea was it to have "Dollar Days" on one of the busiest weekends of the year? Shouldn't this be a promotion reserved for a slow Tuesday in June? The food staff could not keep up with the demand. I would have rather paid full price and had less people in line that were waiting to get their 4th round of $1 pizza. Awful.

Sorry to hear that.

Not to be a Monday morning quarterback but honestly my philosophy for visiting parks has changed over time. I used to be all about knocking out the lowest capacity rides first and being strategic, but now my strategy is to just ride the rides you came to ride first if it's a park that you don't get to often. If a headline attraction goes down early in the day and doesn't come back up and you miss it because you're whoring a wild mouse or saving it for last it sucks big time and you'll be kicking yourself.

Yeah man. It was a unique situation. My wife has a bad back and doesn't do well on old wooden coasters. I knew that if she rode it, she would like it, but not want to do it again in the same day. I wanted her first/only time to be at night, front seat. It's relatively uncommon for a coaster to go down for a full 3 hours, and I hadn't heard or The Beast having issues recently.

I should have seen the writing on the wall after Firehawk went down for the day. I bet they were short staffed on maintenance, just like every other type of staff this day. Oh well.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Pseybert » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:04 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:I was at the park on Saturday, too, and while it was pretty busy, we were able to get on everything we wanted to many, many times with FP+ even with thunderstorms in the area closing nearly everything multiple times. If you were there on Saturday, Beast did close once or twice, but it was open around 9PM when we rode it.

The dollar days thing was completely a non issue. I think the reasoning behind it is actually very sound. Liquidate all food/beverage inventory as possible by selling it for $1 to maximize attendance on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Bring people in, avoid having to toss it all at the end of the season and making nothing on it.

The lines for $1 stuff were huge. However, when we walked past people with pizza and ice cream, the pizza looked like it was frozen pizza and the ice cream was all soft ice cream, so you kind of get what you pay for. We happily ate (and drank) at the sports bar place next to Diamondback and we got scooped ice cream at the place on the corner by the Eiffel Tower. Minimal to zero waits at either place for food/drink/ice cream.

Sorry for replying twice in a row, but I feel the need to respond to this. We got the all-inclusive ticket which included the all-day dining plan. On Saturday, I was at Cedar Point, and had the same deal. It was *way* more crowded at Cedar Point on Saturday than the crowds I saw at Kings Island on Sunday. Even still, we were able to get 5 meals (had to really push myself to get that 5th one, mainly did it for fun) at Cedar Point as the lines moved quick.

Kings Island was an absolute joke by comparison. That sports bar across from Diamondback had a line to Mystic Timbers. I stood in line for 15 minutes and didn't move. I walked in to see one person on register. This was at 1PM. I checked back there a few times and saw the same line, and same one person on register. My only meal was at the chicken place across from Banshee. I waited one hour.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:22 am

I would have shoved that all day dining plan up Cedar Fair's A$$ and left the park to get a way better meal than anything you can find within the gates, vs. waiting an hour for park food.

Postby Ape » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 am

Kings Island lives off season pass sales and most seem to buy the meal plan. We got it for a couple of years but lack of quality and wait times drove us away from that. Plus we eat healthier now. anyway point is Kings Island is always going to have long lines for food as long as the meal plan is there due to the amount of locals visiting the park.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 am

I feel like as a coaster enthusiast you should be savvy enough to realize that now that the park has been in weekend only operation for about two weeks they would be horribly understaffed for a holiday weekend and trying to eat at any location that accepts the dining plan would be an awful idea.

Cedar Point (by comparison) also has staffing issues but they did run daily operations through Labor Day weekend which helps keep staff around a bit longer and (more importantly) they had a huge food truck event to drastically lessen the demand for park food (because you'd have to either be insane or have the dining plan to eat greasy garbage park food when they have the best food trucks from Ohio and Michigan lining the main midway).

I know the response is going to be "Yeah, but that's not my problem. I paid good money for this and the park needs to make sure blah, blah, blah" and you're right but at the same time I mean... you had to see this coming.

Pseybert wrote:Yeah man. It was a unique situation. My wife has a bad back and doesn't do well on old wooden coasters. I knew that if she rode it, she would like it, but not want to do it again in the same day. I wanted her first/only time to be at night, front seat. It's relatively uncommon for a coaster to go down for a full 3 hours, and I hadn't heard or The Beast having issues recently.

Ah, that makes sense. That's a bummer then but hey, all the more reason to go back... just don't buy the dining plan unless it's the middle of the summer :lol:

Postby Ape » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:32 am

With Pinks and Melt in that park I just kept walking right past the food trucks.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby hoppedup » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 am

FWIW, I ate at Coney BBQ on Friday night and Saturday lunch and walked right in with no line both times. The tri-tip and baked chicken were both really good, IMO, and on the meal plan. They also have sides other than fries and mac n cheese. Which I appreciate as a diabetic. I have eaten 14 meals on the meal plan with maybe two more coming before the end of the season, which would average out to $7.19 a meal.

With multiple trips to Carowinds, KD, and multi-day visits to CP and KI coming up again next year, I re-upped already on platinum park and meal passes for 2019.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 am

Ape wrote:With Pinks and Melt in that park I just kept walking right past the food trucks.

Yeah those both look great but I'm passed the point in my life where I could expect to eat at either of those places and not face the consequences. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!