Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1606 - Halloween Haunt Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Ride On_17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:36 pm

A few weeks ago I was able to visit KI for the second time this year and just got around to writing my trip report and uploading pictures. I had an amazing day filled with tons of great riding, including some epic night rides on Mystic Timbers and the Beast. Check it out! http://thrillsawait.weebly.com/trip-reports/night-rides-or-bust-kings-island-8-11
IMG_5828.JPG
thrillsawait.weebly.com
Home park: Cedar Point
Coast count: 101
Top 5 coasters: 1) El Toro 2) Millennium Force 3) Fury 325 4) Maverick 5) Top Thrill Dragster

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Peeps28 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:12 am

We are going to make our first trip to kings island this weekend. We have season passes to all the cedar fair parks that we purchased last year. Any recommendations anybody has for hotels would be appreciated. And what type of crowds can we expect on labor day weekend? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:00 am

If the weather is moderate to nice I would expect significant crowds on Saturday and Sunday over Labor Day weekend. KI has a huge local season pass base and they tend to show up on weekends and holiday weekends. If it's in your budget I would plan on a Fastlane Plus purchase for at least one day if you plan on spending multiple days.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoasterRench » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:36 am

Peeps28 wrote:We are going to make our first trip to kings island this weekend. We have season passes to all the cedar fair parks that we purchased last year. Any recommendations anybody has for hotels would be appreciated. And what type of crowds can we expect on labor day weekend? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Depending on how much your looking to pay for a room, there is a Great Wolf Lodge right next to KI, however very expensive. If your looking for something reasonably priced, check out the Baymont Inn & Suites in Mason right down the road. Stay away from the Super 8 in Mason, I have never heard anything good about it. There are a couple hotels the next exit down on 71 such as a Holiday Inn Express and a Marriott.

As for crowds, like said in the post above. I'm sure it will be crowded if the weather is nice. However, as of right now they are expecting the end of Hurricane Harvey to reach up here Friday evening, just in time for the weekend, which could help keep the crowds away.

They do also have dollar days this weekend, which could help you save some money if you choose to shell out the money for Fast Lane Plus.
Steel: 91 Wood: 28 Total: 119

Top Five
5. Diamondback, 4. Banshee, 3. Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit, 2. Incredible Hulk, 1. Millennium Force

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 am

CoasterRench wrote:
Peeps28 wrote:We are going to make our first trip to kings island this weekend. We have season passes to all the cedar fair parks that we purchased last year. Any recommendations anybody has for hotels would be appreciated. And what type of crowds can we expect on labor day weekend? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Stay away from the Super 8 in Mason, I have never heard anything good about it.

Well, never say never! You're about to! :lol:

I took my three kids there this year, and stayed two nights, and it was great! It cost less than $50 a night, had a nice Continental Breakfast (including waffles!), a pool the kids loved, and the best part for us (as non passholders) was that we didn't have to pay for parking at KI, since they had a free shuttle to the park! Sure, the place isn't the Ritz, but the worst snafu, was the lack of a shower curtain when we got there. If I had really pressed the issue, we could have gotten one, but it wasn't a big deal to me. Other than that, the room was great, and we enjoyed our stay there! So yeah, if you're budget conscious, and don't need anything fancy, and like a few extra frills, the Super 8 in Mason isn't half bad really! (And now there's at least ONE positive review on TPR about it! ;) )
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am

I've been hearing some vicious rumors going around about how Mystic Timbers may be trimmed this off-season. I found that to be a strange rumor as I don't know of any GCI's that have been trimmed and it doesn't seem to have the type of layout that would beat itself up. Anyone heard anything?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 am

^That rumor has been thrown around since the ride first opened.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Phantom's Revenge, Intimidator 305, Fury 325
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
161 coasters

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby Ape » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:09 am

Why would it be trimmed though? it isn't overly intense or crazy

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:24 am

I dunno. It's beating itself up too much, or so the story goes...

Like I said, I don't think it's the type of layout that seems like it would beat itself up, and GCI doesn't have a record of building rides that need to be trimmed.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby B&MBoy1982 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 pm

Mason Inn. Stay away from Mason Inn!

News for the guy who was inconvenienced by the gates at Banshee not working. They now open automatically when the train stops. You should not have any problems getting out of the station now. Terribly sorry for the inconvenience. :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!