TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Well, I take back the pointless part in regards to having shade. It was quite hot both days I was at the park. Had I sat in the front at least once, maybe it would have made more sense. I'm just a back-seat rider for most coasters.

I honestly don't understand all the hate for Vortex. I rode it in second to last car, front row. It had a couple of rough spots, but I found it smooth compared to most of Cedar Point's Arrows (and Rougarou). Even the wild mouse turn into the MCBR wasn't bad, but maybe I had just read so much complaining about it that I knew to brace for it.

I rode Vortex at the end of my Saturday night drinking binge. It actually made it fun... It was even more fun that my group was cursing in pain.

The shed gives the riders something to do other than try to think of ways to graffiti the trains and walls. I didn't see any chewing gum on the walls, which is a nice change. People seem to enjoy it. I think it's really corny, but it gives me something to look at.

I've said this a few times before but I seem to be in the minority that really enjoys Vortex. It's definitely something that you need to ride defensively, and even then it will still beat you up so I understand the hate. But for some reason I really like the ride. The first drop in the second to last row is a lot of fun, and I'm a fan of the old Arrow corkscrews.

My girlfriend hated it though. We were there for a couple days and she told me that if I wanted to go on it again the second day she would gladly watch me.

she told me that if I wanted to go on it again the second day she would gladly watch me.

Sounds familiar. I did con Emily into going this time around, though. I was surprised. It's hard not to look at the ride and appreciate the history and nostalgia. It looked great near the time the park was closing, so I decided to ride it with the historical appreciation. I really enjoyed it... for one ride.

I don't find the Mystic Timbers shed pointless. I would much rather sit in a dark shed on hot days then bake in the sun.

Honestly, the shed is your standard brake run, except not standard, and with a cool "show", and cool shade. I'd love to see more coasters with these type of brake runs!

"The Shed" was massively hyped by KI, setting some enthusiasts with overactive imaginations up for the fall of inevitable anticipointment. However, I think most of us with tempered expectations, can appreciate it for what it is... and yes, enjoy the shade on hot Summer days!

While at Kings Island, you overhear two and only two conversations from the GP:

1) High school sports scores/where they're going to college/upcoming games/etc.

or

2) The shed, how it's scary, there's a new monster, etc.

The shed isn't for enthusiasts, it's for the GP. The station is for the enthusiasts. There are dozens of easter eggs involving KI history, other CF parks, coaster manufacturers hidden (and obvious) in the station!

I'm surprised there's still talk about the shed being 'disappointing/dumb' as if there was supposed to be a drop track installed for someone's visit. You all know damn well what's in it and what to expect, haha.

While at Kings Island, you overhear two and only two conversations from the GP:

1) High school sports scores/where they're going to college/upcoming games/etc.

or

2) The shed, how it's scary, there's a new monster, etc.

The shed isn't for enthusiasts, it's for the GP. The station is for the enthusiasts. There are dozens of easter eggs involving KI history, other CF parks, coaster manufacturers hidden (and obvious) in the station!

I'm surprised there's still talk about the shed being 'disappointing/dumb' as if there was supposed to be a drop track installed for someone's visit. You all know damn well what's in it and what to expect, haha.

The shed was a brilliant marketing strategy for the ride and still is incredibly effective with the GP. It was a relatively simple add-on the park made and it generated a ton of discussion. I'll always remember all the hype for the shed on opening day of the ride.

Lots of people (GP and enthusiasts) still complain about how cheesy it is, but the fact that it's still a large topic of conversation just attests even more to it's effectiveness. Seriously, what other coaster do people talk about the brake run more than the coaster itself?

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the shed there so you have something to look at while they stack your train?

Also fun vortex game: sit in back row and watch people's heads snap side to side as you go over jerky transitions. You can watch the wave as it comes back to you and then brace for it.

Hi TPR,

As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Kings Island on Saturday, July 21st. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!

Hi TPR,

As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Kings Island on Saturday, July 21st. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!

You should definitely get there a little before 9:30 for the early entry if you have a gold/plat pass. The lines to get in can build, so 9:15 should set you right. Absolutely get the fast pass, you'll need it.

Pick your poison between Invertigo, Flight of Fear/Firehawk, Stunt Track, the smaller coasters. Not sure if Invertigo/FOF/Firehawk would be open right away at 10am so maybe start with the little wooden coaster/junior inverted and go to Stunt Track if you're bent on getting *all credits possible*. Honestly I wouldn't suggest you try to get on the kiddie coaster (no adults) or the junior inverted since it's one train and a crappy Vekoma inverted coaster. You're at KI on a Saturday in July, so I'd suggest you use your time more wisely on better/more memorable rides. Just my advice (especially if you're not budgeting FL).

Drop Tower has been closed in the last 3 visits and I asked an op if it had been open at all this season and they said yes, but I don't know what's up with it. If it's open, ride it for sure. Windseeker gives great views of the Beast from above, check that out if it's open. Viking Ship in the outer most seats is a great floater-filled ride. Shake Rattle and Roll/Troika is a classic.

Try out Diamondback in row 2, 10, and 15.

Ride Banshee in the front and then try the back.

Ride Bat in the front and back - 2 very different experiences.

I'd say Racer/FoF/Adventure Express/Vortex/Stunt Track/Timbers are all front seat rides.

Woodstock Express (kiddie wooden coaster) is fair game to anyone, and is actually a fairly nice little wooden coaster. Flying Ace Aerial Chase (family invert) is alright. Might be a little jerky, but not on the same roughness level as a coaster like Vortex.

For flats, I can second Drop Tower and maybe Windseeker if you like those, but also Delirium if the line isn't too lengthy.

Drop Tower has been closed in the last 3 visits and I asked an op if it had been open at all this season and they said yes, but I don't know what's up with it. If it's open, ride it for sure.

Drop Tower was open at the park today. First time at the park in a few years so was my first time riding Banshee and Timbers. Also got a ride on the last train on Beast for the night.

Some advice: Don't forget to ride Beast at night. Timbers also gives a somewhat good night ride.

Absolutely get the fast pass, you'll need it.

Be prepared for long FL+ waits on Saturday. It might take you five to ten minutes to get on Beast..........

Seriously, I've never been to King's Island where FL+ has make almost every ride taking you into the station within a couple minutes, sometimes immediately. It's the best combination of having larger rides compared to no wait with FL+ that I've ever experienced. Even during packed weekends at The Haunt I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes using FL+. The bang for your buck is incredible. I've said it 100 times, but it's worth repeating.

Head to The Bat first, since there is no FL+ entrance. Getting there early I've never seen the wait more than ten to fifteen minutes.

Anybody at the park today and know why Delerium (sp?)was closed? Wes and I wemt about 6-7 hours and when we got there it was not packed. It could've been the fact that they were calling for rain but I liked no long waits for rides that I rode anyway. I got to talking to my cousin and she loves Mystic Timbers as well so next time I go she can ride with me as I don't like riding by myself. We did ride the rapids ride once and that water was so cold and I got freaking drenched but we was headed to water park afterwards so it didn't matter. Out of the flats they have I love the scrambler, windseeker and the swings. Best coasters that I personally like is Banshee, Mystic Timbers and BSC.

They have a nice waterpark but I much prefer Splashin' Safari a million times. I do wish they would get a water coaster at least but according to my husband said it would have long waits as well.

Food wise, I had a bacon cheeseburger from Festhaus and it wasn't good. The fries are amazing though. Best place to eat is the new bbq place though. The pulled pork is amazing.

Don't know if we'll be back next Monday or not. If so, does anybody wanna meet up?

Best place to eat is the new bbq place though. The pulled pork is amazing.

This BBQ place is great. I was with a couple people and we all shared so I was able to sample a few different things. It all tasted great and I thought the portion sizes were really big. Prices weren't bad either. It's definitely somewhere I'll be going back to on future visits.

This BBQ place is great. I was with a couple people and we all shared so I was able to sample a few different things. It all tasted great and I thought the portion sizes were really big. Prices weren't bad either. It's definitely somewhere I'll be going back to on future visits.

I have to agree that this place has some great food, however disagree about the portion size.

I have to agree that this place has some great food, however disagree about the portion size.

I don't know, pretty sure this BBQ place is in America, and therefore by definition the portion is really big.

Question about the waterpark: do they have showers? CP did, but when we went to KI waterpark, we couldn't find any.

Since I'm posting anyway, I might as well share our experience at the water park a few weeks ago. I've lived near KI since Fall, 2016 and had never visited the water park. My friend hadn't either. She and I feel similarly about water parks. Standing in long lines in bathing suits is uncomfortable for us and nearly negates any thrill we derive from the slide experience. Plus, I'd just rather ride coasters.

It was a Monday, but still pretty busy. We managed to ride 2 slides and crowd into the lazy river before heading over to the dry park.

One of the two slides we did was the drop slide, can't remember what they're called. I had experienced my first drop slide at CP during CoasterMania this year, and while it was completely terrifying, I still loved it! I was disappointed to find that the KI drop slides are SUPER strict when it comes to jewelry, so my friend had to skip out of line to take our rings, earrings, and necklaces and hide them in the grass.

At CP, there are 4 drop slides and 4 people can all drop at the same time. At KI, only one person could go at a time, which meant the second person to slide would basically be alone on the slide tower. The slide was still a lot of fun, but I'm not sure if I'd do it often because of these inconveniences.

I have to say that the lazy river is probably the funnest and most wet lazy river I have ever seen.

We went to the dry park after that. My friend has been afraid of coasters, but I somehow managed to get her on Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, Adventure Express, Bat, and Beast at night. We were in the second to the front row, and she LOVED it! Overall successful day!

Oh, on the topic of park food, I have a mini rant. I've been vegetarian for about 12 years now and I seriously have been disappointed with the number of vegetarian options at theme parks in the Midwest. We wanted to go to Red's, but I found there were no vegetarian entreés on the menu! I've basically eaten at Subway the last few times I decided to eat in the park. Even Six Flags has locations that serve veggie burgers. Unless I'm missing something... WTF KI? It's not like I'm the only vegetarian on earth. I feel even worse for my vegan counterparts.

6F52CE2A-AE7C-4215-B7DE-910012ACD33E.thumb.jpg.f3b72c7f48bb4341dab8762ad5f01619.jpg

By the time we got to Beast, she was feeling a bit more confident about riding coasters!

IMG_9730.thumb.jpg.7e89284050c1d78881969b957d48a3d3.jpg

My second time eating blue ice cream, and still as amazing as the first!