TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^I personally loved Firehawk a hell of a lot more than the one crappy ride I got on Nighthawk.

Anyone have any idea how many riders rode Mystic Timbers last year? (and the ridership numbers for all the KI coasters)
Here we are! Very good numbers!

thumb_a77fc2bd-bc9a-47c8-a331-32c737a9def6.jpeg

Great numbers! When taking about throughput it should obviously be noted that the coasters aren't all on a level playing field though. Mystic Timbers had a massive advantage. If I remember correctly, Diamondback and Mystic Timbers had a daily 30 minute Early Entry for half the year and then Banshee and Mystic Timbers got it the other half so just during the regular season Mystic Timbers had a lot more operating time than everything else as it got a full season of Early Entry.

Then (possibly more importantly), Mystic Timbers was the only coaster operating for about 25-30 nights during Winterfest.

The numbers are great for a wood coaster and I don't want to take anything away from that, but they did have way more operating time than anything else. I'm sort of more impressed with the Beast numbers. Great job by that crew. It's also a testament to the popularity of the ride. Racer only beat it by 200,000 riders despite having a theoretical capacity of 24 additional riders per cycle and the exact same style of train.

I'm surprised Firehawk didn't top the list last year.

Just kidding. Obviously.

We rope-dropped Nighthawk at Scarowinds b/c we were in the front of the pack at entry and my daughter said the ops sucked. We will certainly give Firehawk a shot if we get all the others in and multiple rides on the big ones.

My daughter has hated every Arrow looper except Loch Ness Monster but I loved them all. Looking forward to Vortex and a couple of other new-to-me ones this summer.

Ah, traveler, thou hast, perhaps unbeknownst, asked the most important question of thy life. For the Beast is a magical coaster and respondeth well to thy incantation.

First, wait for sundown. Go not to the Beast when the sun be in the midst of setting, nay! Gird thy patience and when 'tis full dark, set thy sight upon the front row. Mount the Beast in this row alone, and thou wilt engage the spell.

Know I well thou wilt hardly understand my words at this time. Take heed and trust in them, and in due time, should thou follow them as written, then shalt thou understand their true meaning.

I'm going tomorrow too, and I went last last year at this time and Mystic Timbers was the only really long line. Everything else was either a walk on or 15-20 minute wait at the most. But the weather is supposed to be very nice so it wouldn't surprise me if the waits are longer.

Ah, traveler, thou hast, perhaps unbeknownst, asked the most important question of thy life. For the Beast is a magical coaster and respondeth well to thy incantation.

First, wait for sundown. Go not to the Beast when the sun be in the midst of setting, nay! Gird thy patience and when 'tis full dark, set thy sight upon the front row. Mount the Beast in this row alone, and thou wilt engage the spell.

Know I well thou wilt hardly understand my words at this time. Take heed and trust in them, and in due time, should thou follow them as written, then shalt thou understand their true meaning.

This was great! Beast front row in the dark should be a bucketlist experience for anybody.

Kings Island is a funny place because they pride themselves on having these awesome coasters you MUST night-ride, but then they're hardly ever open late enough that it's actually dark. Or if it is, you only have time for one dark ride. I think it's where the park is situated in the time zone sunset in summer is like 9 and it doesn't get dark until 9:30 or later, but it's pretty unfortunate.

I still want to try Mystic Timbers and Banshee at night. I guess I need to visit on one of the 7 days the park is open until midnight (Saturday's in July)

PS - I would definitely be down for trying the jalapeno, butter, ranch and onion cotton candy!

Lol wow. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are flexible and can bail early if we've ridden our favorites enough and can head to CP a day or half-day sooner than expected. So if the FL makes more sense on Friday, we can do that.

KI is probably my favorite park considering the line-up, distance from home, beer availability (no beer prison), and their fast lane system.

If you do a few hours on one evening and then a full day of FL+ you will have your fill. Even if the park isn't very crowded, I still suggest getting FL+. You'll ride anything you want anytime you want. Even for popular attractions like the big four, you'll walk directly to the station and be on the ride in a couple minutes. The groupers are also great at taking seat requests. It will make your FL+ experience at Cedar Point disappointing.

Even if crowds are somewhat sparse there will still be several times where waits will be 20-30 minutes on popular rides, with likely steady 30+ minute waits on Mystic Timers and possibly Beast. You'll second guess yourself in the morning when the park won't be too crowded, but it will pay off later in the day. It's damn near a VIP experience at large CF parks like KI, CW, and KD, in that order. Unless the weather is going to look like complete sh***, go for it. I also suggest Fun Pix.

I still want to try Mystic Timbers and Banshee at night. I guess I need to visit on one of the 7 days the park is open until midnight (Saturday's in July)

We're planning our first ever 'guys trip' for one of those Saturdays. Aside from that, if you go for The Haunt and buy a FL+ you'll still be on all coasters within a couple minutes and you have about 5-6 hours of night rides. It's great.

Another reason I like FL+ at KI is that even on long days you can still grab a night ride on the top four and possibly a couple on Beast.

Had my first visit of the season yesterday and it was great, although it didn't start out that way as there was supposed to be early ride time for Banshee and Mystic Timbers and both were down. But the lines were pretty short all day (except Firehawk... 45 min+) so I can't complain about that. We got on the big four 5+ times including 9 rides on banshee because my GF's little brother absolutely loved it.

The Racer was actually racing which was nice. Red was running pretty well, blue was pretty sluggish.

Invertigo was open for the first time in a long time. Every single time I went last year it was closed. And when I got off I remembered why I hate it so much.

Beast was running well after getting to the top on the inch per second lift hill.

I think I'm in the minority on not liking the new Diamondback seats. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they're as comfortable. And Diamondback is getting to be a tad rough in the back especially on the first drop.

And Mystic Timbers is still running great. Still my favorite ride in the park.

I'm disappointed that I forgot to try the new BBQ place, but I will eventually. I was very disappointed by the assigned seating on almost EVERY SINGLE FREAKING COASTER! And that includes Adventure Express! Now I was able to get us the row we wanted 95% of the time, but the fact that I have to ask bothers the hell out of me, especially on a day with light crowds.

Actually, the Beast lift hill was going even slower than THAT (the normal slow). Like, ridiculously ridiculously ridiculously slow. We were stopped on the lift for a few minutes, and it felt like it was going faster than when it was actually moving

The new BBQ place is GREAT!

After riding everything again, I can officially say that Mystic Timbers is my favorite ride in the park. Got 4 rides on it, all different parts of the train, and it did not disappoint on any ride. It was hauling. Tons of fun.

I think I'm in the minority on not liking the new Diamondback seats. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they're as comfortable.

They'll soften up a little with heat exposure and use, if that's your complaint.

Funny story about Beast lift: when we were there last, the lady and her son in front of us commented about it being so slow we needed to push it. I said, "Row!" and we gave it a good "row" and right at that moment the lift sped up. It was one of those perfect timing moments.

I think I'm in the minority on not liking the new Diamondback seats. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they're as comfortable. And Diamondback is getting to be a tad rough in the back especially on the first drop.

And Mystic Timbers is still running great. Still my favorite ride in the park.

I'm disappointed that I forgot to try the new BBQ place, but I will eventually. I was very disappointed by the assigned seating on almost EVERY SINGLE FREAKING COASTER! And that includes Adventure Express! Now I was able to get us the row we wanted 95% of the time, but the fact that I have to ask bothers the hell out of me, especially on a day with light crowds.

My 2 c. about your comments:

Diamondback is not rough at all. If slight jiggling is considered rough, then everything at KI and basically everywhere is "rough." Banshee back seat is a lot worse.

Also, I agree with you about Mystic being great. I seriously can't choose what I like best between my three favorites (DBack, Beast, and Mystic), but I think Mystic is definitely underrated because it's a super solid ride!

We were reflecting about the groupers too. I honestly feel they might be doing this to train their new employees and get things running smoothly for the busier season. I don't remember there being assigned seating on all of those rides with light crowds later in the season.

My one to go is also Diamondback, but all of the big 4 are very good and the other complementary coasters are solid all the way down the line. I was supposed to write a trip report about my visit for haunt, but being a bit of a tpr amateur I tried typing it in here 2 different times and lost it...maybe I'll get the motivation for doing it one last time...

The Beast is going up the lift agonizingly slow today

... just today?

That's what I was thinking!!

When we first rode Beast it seemed like it took, what felt like, 3 minutes to get to the top of the first lift hill... I thought maybe it was just an off day or something. At one point we did come to a complete stop on the lift hill, so I was just assuming it was waiting for the train ahead of us to clear the block for us. However, after watching the TPR POV for Beast and noticing that the first lift hill runs from 1:07-2:53... I guess I wasn't over exaggerating on how slow the lift was.