TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ The Bat is a decent suspended coaster- one of the more fun ones out there that are still operating.

The drop tower and Delerium are also great flats if you're into that sort of thing.

Thanks. I love rides like Delerium. My only concern is the restraints. I'm a bit porky at the moment...I did not fair well through my first winter here. I have found on some rides like these in the past (and at the weight I am back to now) I have been on the limit and they have really had to work to get me in. I didn't not have any trouble with anything else I rode their last weekend though. Any idea if Delerium tends to suit someone in the more svelte range than the other harnesses there? In any event the fear of not fitting a harness will be my motivation to get off the sugar and other excess and back down to a more respectable mass.

You won't get me on a drop tower ever again. I hate them.

CG

Im just going to say this. SOMETIMES you can have joy in proving people wrong. Last week Mytic set a capacity record of 41 cycles, only to be outdone yesterday with 42 and today with 43. GCI said that we could get roughly 800 people on the ride in an hour and the whole weekend we averaged about 1,000 an hour. Truly impressed with the crew honestly

I'm just going to say this. SOMETIMES you can have joy in proving people wrong. Last week Mystic set a capacity record of 41 cycles, only to be outdone yesterday with 42 and today with 43. GCI said that we could get roughly 800 people on the ride in an hour and the whole weekend we averaged about 1,000 an hour. Truly impressed with the crew honestly

Since you're on that crew, does it seem like the shed has any affect on the ride's capacity, or is the crew just that good?

I'm just going to say this. SOMETIMES you can have joy in proving people wrong. Last week Mystic set a capacity record of 41 cycles, only to be outdone yesterday with 42 and today with 43. GCI said that we could get roughly 800 people on the ride in an hour and the whole weekend we averaged about 1,000 an hour. Truly impressed with the crew honestly

Since you're on that crew, does it seem like the shed has any affect on the ride's capacity, or is the crew just that good?

Honestly, I dont think it does. Once the train leaves the station it takes about maybe not even 10-20 seconds for the train to park from the shed which is enough time in my opinion.

Was at KI for the first time last Saturday.

I'm glad you enjoyed Banshee. Banshee brought in the era of B&M where they seemed to try to make their designs a little more intense, but still not old school B&M intense. It's a fantastic invert, as far as I am concerned, and possibly even my favorite or tied with Afterburn at Carowinds.

Sad to say that you really did miss out on something worth while with Diamondback. It has great sustained floater air time, a great layout, and decent forces for a B&M hyper. Make sure to catch a back seat ride on your next visit.

The fact that you were not quite sure what to make of Adventure Express means that you definitely have the same interpretation everyone else does... which is why I love it. It's a two minute long "wtf" experience.

Im just going to say this. SOMETIMES you can have joy in proving people wrong. Last week Mytic set a capacity record of 41 cycles, only to be outdone yesterday with 42 and today with 43. GCI said that we could get roughly 800 people on the ride in an hour and the whole weekend we averaged about 1,000 an hour. Truly impressed with the crew honestly

I rode Mystic Timbers for the first time Saturday, I was extremely impressed with the crew that was working that afternoon. I know they were calling out ride capacity when I was there, which the gentlemen said "last hour they finished with 900 riders, let's attempt for more this hour." Everyone seemed to be on top of there game, fantastic job, very impressed. Oh and the ride itself is fantastic. Wish I would have gone back for a second round, unfortunately trying to keep a 6 and 2 year old to wait that long is hard to do.

I'm heading to KI this Saturday. I plan on getting the FL+, because we like to ride whatever and whenever we damn well please at this park. I usually feel pretty good about that decision, as long as it's not a complete waste of money. Any estimates for crowds this weekend?

This weekend is the Flying Pig Marathon and a lot of people come in from out of town I believe they said all 50 states and 20 something countries. We usually go the Sunday of the big races ( full and half Ill be doing the half this year) and have no issues I have always avoided that Saturday because I didn't want to risk the crowds. Regardless if the weather is going to be nice Saturday expect a big crowd from pass holders.

I'm hoping to (finally) make my first trip to KI (also Cedar Point..but have that covered) next Summer..late June. Can anyone suggest some good budget-friendly hotels/motels near the park. I've seen some looking on Google, but figured I'd ask the experts and/or locals on this site. Basically just need a place to lay our heads so nothing too fancy. As long as the place is safe, clean, bug-free and within 15-20 minutes from the park I'm good.

I'm hoping to (finally) make my first trip to KI (also Cedar Point..but have that covered) next Summer..late June. Can anyone suggest some good budget-friendly hotels/motels near the park. I've seen some looking on Google, but figured I'd ask the experts and/or locals on this site. Basically just need a place to lay our heads so nothing too fancy. As long as the place is safe, clean, bug-free and within 15-20 minutes from the park I'm good.

If you throw out a couple options after searching on booking.com or hotels.com we can give you advice. I don't think you'd be able to find an unsafe area around KI. Look off of the Fields-Ertle exit and I'm sure most will be 100 bucks or less.

https://www.hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=CITY%3A1474793%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&destination-id=1474793&q-destination=Mason,%20Ohio,%20United%20States%20of%20America&q-check-in=2017-05-30&q-check-out=2017-05-31&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0&f-hotel-id=113602

When I went to Kings Island (July 2014 and June 2016) we stayed at the Microtel Inn just down the road. It was around $84 per night for the three of us. It was a great deal and just minutes away from the park, so close in fact you could see it from your room if you were lucky! Also, the rooms were clean and there were no bugs. I would consider staying at the Microtel Inn as I enjoyed staying there during both of my visits to Kings Island.

I must say, you sure like to plan ahead! Looking at hotels over a year in advance? Seems like there could be very different prices when the date gets closer.

Was at KI for the first time last Saturday.

Sad to say that you really did miss out on something worth while with Diamondback. It has great sustained floater air time, a great layout, and decent forces for a B&M hyper. Make sure to catch a back seat ride on your next visit.

The fact that you were not quite sure what to make of Adventure Express means that you definitely have the same interpretation everyone else does... which is why I love it. It's a two minute long "wtf" experience.

We will be back before the end of the season so I'll definitely get on Diamondback soon.

Adventure Express gave me flashbacks to Gold Rusher at SFMM not just because of the manufacturer but also the layout that starts with the station at the top of the hill.

CG

When I went to Kings Island (July 2014 and June 2016) we stayed at the Microtel Inn just down the road. It was around $84 per night for the three of us. It was a great deal and just minutes away from the park, so close in fact you could see it from your room if you were lucky! Also, the rooms were clean and there were no bugs. I would consider staying at the Microtel Inn as I enjoyed staying there during both of my visits to Kings Island.

I stayed here in June 2015 and it was a great stay. You can't beat the location relative to KI for the price and the room I got was clean and nicer than any other room I had on that trip (although there wasn't much competition from Motel 6 and Econolodge ).

I stayed here in June 2015 and it was a great stay. You can't beat the location relative to KI for the price and the room I got was clean and nicer than any other room I had on that trip (although there wasn't much competition from Motel 6 and Econolodge ).

Thanks. I was looking at that Microtel. I will keep these recommendations in mind when it comes time to book. I'm also looking at the Baymont Inn and Super 8 by there as well. Usually if I'm not familiar with an area and they have an Extended Stay America, I'll stay there. I know there are some about 10 miles away which isn't bad. I think however it will be nice to not have to drive more than we have to after driving from N Florida to Carowinds to CP to KI & then back home (we may also do Kentucky Kingdom if it's in our budget/have time).

^bgtlover

I went to Hotwire and placed a bid on a hotel within 10 miles of KI for an upcoming trip and they booked my in the Super 8 Hotel Mason

5589 Kings Mills Rd. It's the northern KI exit (Kings Mills/Mason ) on I-71 but I got it for $65 out the door tax included. I think they just remodeled recently as well.

Good Luck.

Seems like I recall reading a trip report from thrillrider talking about the interesting visit that he and his family had at the Super 8 near KI. I can't find the link to his report otherwise I would post it.

My opinion? Save your money and stay at the Hampton.