Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

2017 Season Closing Weekend )o:
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby SoCalJasonland » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Last time I was in Vancouver, a six pack of beer at the liquor store was close to $18. What does a hard cider like that cost at a fair or amusement park?

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby djcoastermark » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Kudos to you Nrthwnd for trying the cricket burg. There's a place I go to near me that has cricket soft tacos. Not the corn tortillas, but the soft flour ones. No other meat either, just crickets. I have not been brave enough to try them yet.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks, guys. And for ^^, the cider (a can of) cost $8 Cdn at the fair this year. Buying two of them was worth a six-pack of the same thing, at our local liquor store. Yeah, it's a real up charge for something like that. Same goes for the beer and most other alcohol they were selling. Everything was roughly between $8 and $10 Cdn.

As for the burger, I didn't really have a problem with it. I knew what I was eating, but even looking at it didn't make me wince. And I remember somebody else saying about this insect in particular..."think of it as eating potato chips.....crunchy potato chips." :wink: And there was really no taste to them, so the burger itself and the toppings and condiments were the real taste standouts of this burger. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Original Newsies! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Now for the rest of this day, it was seeing and enjoying Huey Lewis & The News. Great energized show, everybody was on top of their game, including Mr.Lewis himself. All the hits sung, a few new ones introduced to the crowd that night (which everybody loved), and my favourite part, a few acapella numbers done by the entire band, which was really amazing, with all of them up at the front of the stage doing their do-wops, and harmonies. The crowd loved it, including myself.

So here's photos of the concert. I wish there was a soundtrack to go along with it, as well as a lot more, better focused, photos. :oops: Catching a music act in focus isn't one of my best traits. But there are a few good ones (IMhO) in the bunch. Enjoy...
IMG_5007.JPG
My ticket.
IMG_5008.jpg
Map of the seating and bleachers set up. I was in the second left section of the four on the floor, there.
IMG_5040.JPG
Arriving with the rest of the crowd.
IMG_5041.JPG
VIP boxes for those who can afford more than just a ticket.
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5043.JPG
My view of the stage set up, before it all starts.
IMG_5045-.JPG
One look back. And then...
IMG_5046.JPG
It's on!
IMG_5047.JPG
And they're here!
IMG_5048.JPG
IMG_5049.JPG
IMG_5050.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5060.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
The awesome horn section of the band.
IMG_5070.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG
IMG_5081.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG
Trivia: Huey Lewis & The News have been together for nearly 40 years, now!
IMG_5085.JPG
IMG_5086.JPG
IMG_5087.JPG
IMG_5088.JPG
IMG_5089.JPG
IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5094.JPG
IMG_5096-.JPG
Last shot of Huey on his harmonica.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:14 pm

It's All About Fried Food, right? ;)

Yesterday, Tuesday, I went to The Fair much later in the day. I wasn't seeing any show, although the Blues Show was playing again in the Festival Park, and I did catch some of that. But my focus was on the Fried Foods that was everywhere at The Fair. Got on the many, many corn dogs available, then hit the Side Car Bar for a couple of beers. Followed that with a GI-Normous Dill Pickle Corn Dog (with a hot dog inside the pickle!), and some poutine from The Fry Guys.

Took all that food up to the Festival Park, and enjoyed it while listening to good blues and a bit of pop music. After that, I was going to get myself some of that Fried Jello I'd read about. But they'd run out of it for the day, so I switched my dessert choice to another pick I had my eye on - Praguery Cones. A thick baked cake-like cone, which (for my choice) had lemon curd and vanilla soft serve in it. Great stuff! Messy and enjoyable. :smile:

And just before I left for the day, I headed over to Toytopia, and the gift shop,
to pick up something that caught my eye on an earlier visit.

And bought it. :)
IMG_5106.JPG
Went through the Playland entrance of The Fair.
IMG_5108.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG
First fried food of the evdening. Right by Coaster.
IMG_5111.JPG
Regular was fine, for me.
IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5113.JPG
I was surprised how thin the coating was around the hot dog. Expected it to be a bit...thicker?
IMG_5114.JPG
Lineups everywhere. Even for water.
IMG_5116.JPG
My next destination.
IMG_5117.JPG
My second beer.
IMG_5118.JPG
Great view of the rides, the games, and the crowds in Playland, from the bar.
IMG_5125.JPG
Purple train, followed by...
IMG_5126.JPG
Red train.
IMG_5127.JPG
What's this? What's this?
IMG_5131.JPG
Hmmm.
IMG_5132.JPG
Man, it must be something lugging that around on your shoulders.
IMG_5133.JPG
Exit, stage right!
IMG_5135.JPG
Everybody was heading to the General (free) Entry to the show bowl that night.
IMG_5136.JPG
Tom Cochrane was playing - the "Life is A Highway" guy (also featured in the first "Cars" movie).
IMG_5141.JPG
Up and over.
IMG_5150-.JPG
Side Moon! (To be continued...)
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Continuing along....

After the bar visit, I headed to (what I call) the Main Food Walkway, with booths and food trucks on both sides of the pathway. Everything anybody could ever want in fair food was here and available.

I was always interested in the thing that was a dill pickle with a hot dog inside it, and then the whole thing was battered and deep fried. So I got that. Then, I picked up my poutine from The Fry Guys, heavy on the gravy.Up to Festival Park, enjoyed the blues show, and then dessert, which I had to change due to no fired jello being available. But the substitution was excellent. And messy.
IMG_5151.JPG
Not Chickie's & Pete's - just Chicky's here.
IMG_5152.JPG
Getting my BIG pickle dog, but passing on the fried chicken feet. :P
IMG_5153.JPG
Then over to The Fry Guys.
IMG_5154.JPG
The Fry Guys' menu.
IMG_5155.JPG
My poutine. With gravy. A lot of gravy. (o:
IMG_5157.JPG
At my table in Festival Park.
IMG_5158.JPG
The pickle dog was HUGE! And I do loves my mustard, yum!
IMG_5159.JPG
See? There's a HOT DOG in there! Totally a mess, but really good.
IMG_5165.JPG
And I finished off the poutine real easy.
IMG_5167.JPG
Better view of the stage for the blues show, this time round.
IMG_5169.JPG
Elephants a glow.
IMG_5170.JPG
Empty Agrodome. Eerily quiet, too.
IMG_5171.JPG
Prize Home at night. Pretty.
IMG_5173.JPG
IMG_5175.JPG
Where I was supposed to get Fried Jello. But they were out, so I went somewhere else.
IMG_5176.JPG
Stopped at the BCAA booth for a free spin - and got a free iced tea at Blenz Coffee.
IMG_5177.JPG
The Praguery! This is where my dessert will be gotten.
IMG_5178.JPG
I chose #3 ~ lemon.
IMG_5180.JPG
How they make the cones.
IMG_5181.JPG
And then 'bake' them right in front of you.
IMG_5182.JPG
Yummy! Gooey! Messy! I loved it!
IMG_5183-.JPG
And right before leaving, I picked up another Groot at Toytopia. A smaller, 'dancing' Groot.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Mmmm...corn dogs and poutine.

We just got Guardians of the Galaxy 2 from our nearest Redbox, so I'll finally get to see this Groot sapling for myself tonight!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:52 pm

^ The actual number of poutine and corn dog stands around The Fair is really staggering. You could do an entire week (or more) at the Fair just eating that stuff and never repeating yourself, with all the varieties and specialties of what's being offered.

Oh, and did you enjoy the movie? One of the best parts for me was
during the credits, which I shall call "Groowth"... without giving it all away. :wink:
Groot.JPG
EDIT: And on the way home from the fair a couple of days ago, I saw this poor little plant,
all alone, outside the plant shop. So I bought it, brought it home, and named it...what else? (o;

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:35 pm

Now how did this one slip by me, Bill? I always like your reports on the annual exhibition.

Cricket burger? Yeah, I would try that.

Hot dog stuffed in a pickle? Definitely would try that!

Poutine? OMG...they need more poutine in the states. I think that is one of the big reasons why Americans are so unhappy. ;)

Looks like some decent bands too - I could see myself chilling out listening to some ZZ and Huey while downing a few beers...both fun feel-good bands from the 70's and 80's.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ The actual number of poutine and corn dog stands around The Fair is really staggering. You could do an entire week (or more) at the Fair just eating that stuff and never repeating yourself, with all the varieties and specialties of what's being offered.

:omg:

You keep giving me more reasons to go to Vancouver, and yet the city stays stubbornly far away from me and difficult to get to. :lol:

Nrthwnd wrote:Oh, and did you enjoy the movie? One of the best parts for me was
during the credits, which I shall call "Groowth"... without giving it all away. :wink:

Yes! That was great. :lol: The movie was silly fun, just what I expected from it. I love a superhero movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. Reminds me of when I was younger and everything didn't have to be dark and gritty.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:31 am

^ Here's one of the many, many corn dog stands throughout The Fair. It looked to me, like
there was one of these, every four or five stands in the larger groups of food stands on the fairgrounds.

And glad you enjoyed the movie. :smile:
IMG_5238-.JPG
Didn't try the Corn Dog King. Maybe next year's Fair, if they're back again.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!