TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

2024 Playland Season Pass Now on Sale! And the New Coaster's Name will be .....

Tickets are now available for this October's FRIGHT NIGHTS at Playland.

Western Canada’s Scariest Haunt

It’s our favourite time of fear. Fright Nights possesses Playland on select nights October 7 through October 31 and features 7 haunted houses, 15 rides and 2 thrilling live shows.

Get your Fright Nights tickets before they sell out! Save up to $6 on admission online.

Upgrade to a Rapid Pass to get into all of the houses & our top 5 rides faster!

My immediate advice, is that if you are planning to go, you can easily buy tickets online, even a few days before you actually go. I did that last year. I kept checking the weather reports for the week I wanted to go, and the Thursday of it was to be clear, free of rain. So I then bought my ticket. With the Rapid Pass added. Well worth the extra $$$ as far as time in a queue goes. And you get FP on at least five of the big rides open that night, too! Including Coaster, AtmosFEAR, Music Express. Everything you Rapid Pass on, by the way, is a one time only thing. No repeats with it. But I was fine with it last year, along with the RideSideBar open. (o:

It's a great deal, if you go only one night. http://www.pne.ca

IMG_9862.JPG.9c79973850e92bc930c4562f676f0ce4.JPG

My view from the RideSideBar, during last year's Fright Night.

IMG_8243.JPG.50227353bbc02093e27ec02bb0ce30c6.JPG

Here's the bar, by day.

IMG_9860.JPG.de3918e204957a835d9733f94186716c.JPG

Another view, from the bar.

IMG_9866.JPG.46534e03af5c298acfd2e664b18301e6.JPG

Best thing about sitting right there, in the bar. (o:

• 1 month later...

This just in!

Playland is now closed

OUR BEST OFFER OF THE YEAR WILL BE HERE STARTING NOVEMBER 28!

From Monday, November 28 through December 24, save up to $20 on a Playland Season PlayPass.

Playland Season PlayPass holders get UNLIMITED access to over 30 rides and attractions including THREE NEW FAMILY RIDES!

Get it for yourself or get it for someone you love – just get it before it’s gone!

http://www.pne.ca

Kool! I'm wondering, if I might be able to ride at least one of these family rides.

And - is this the start of the revamp of the entire park - with the add-on section to follow?

IMG_7527.JPG.23e5b8d8830a20b42f4724e02b453a4a.JPG

It's still going to be a long, long wait, until I can ride Coaster again. )o:

Playland-PNE01.png.422b9b6745c6394ab968d643b0652380.png

Why is there a family inverted coaster and an Intamin Zac Spin Inferno clone in one of the pictures of the "current" model from your Sept. 2 trip report?

I don't know much about the ride offerings at this park but I at least know the coaster lineup, and those are certainly not included. There's probably a bunch of flat rides in that model that also don't belong.

^ I honestly think, whoever was putting this model together, decided to get

very "exotic" with it, pulling coasters currently available from around the world.

Current popular ones. Without much thought as to whether they'd actually

be approved... or not. But they sure look good in that model, huh?

What I did notice, was the retro-ness of the proposed model! Note where The Beast currently should be?

That's where Crazy Beach Party USED to be. That's how old the model - actually - is.

So they must have been holding onto this model for at least a few years, before finally displaying it, at this year's PNE.

• 2 weeks later...

Playland(PNE) sent an email out, as a last ditch effort to get people to buy the 2017 Season Pass,

which I already bought, and they also did a bit of teasing for the new "family rides" opening this season....

Season PlayPass holders get UNLIMITED access to over 30 rides and attractions here at Playland;

including 3 NEW FAMILY RIDES! Take a sneak peak at the rides we have coming in 2017!

Follow @PNE_Playland on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) to stay up to date with

events in Hastings Park and to find out when the new rides will be unveiled.

Playland-FamilyRides-2017.jpg.59b77a8cd0d9abad2788bc3553c6afa7.jpg

What do you think they all are? I can stay happily ignorant, until the park opens in May. * (o;

Edited by Nrthwnd

* I think.

Well, I looked and I looked at these "New family ride" images that Playland has released.

What can be seen of them, anyway. (See previous page.)

But, I am pretty sure that the first image is of one of those new kiddy spinning coasters.

There was one at an IAAPA covention, and it does resemble the first image.

So - one out of three, figured out! (I think) (And it's a new credit, woo hoo!)

compactspinning2017.jpg.5f7b90e0bb0be8957f74c6e252b17d37.jpg

This looks like it would be fun to ride, from what I remember of the TPR IAAPA Video. (o:

AND it made me think ~ maybe there's an ADULT Spinning Coaster in Playland's future?

• 2 weeks later...

Screamscape posted the announcement of the three Family Rides

coming to Playland next Season. While I think I figured out one of these

new rides (the family Spinning Coaster, see above), this posting has

a photo of one of the other two rides, on it's trailer, with the quote...

Three New Rides - (12/28/16) Playland at the PNE has announced that three new attractions are on the way for the 2017 season. They aren't ready to give away all the details yet of what the new rides are, but they did share an image showing off some pieces of one of the three new rides arriving on site on the back of a truck. The only clue is that they say it will "launch your stomach into your mouth and leave you looking like a porcupine" while it is something the entire family can ride together. Anyone know more?

Playland-FamilyRides-2017a.jpg.f73b5fb1182e8da750663109173ec8a4.jpg

With Hells Gate in back of it, in the left photo.

Playland(PNE) sent an email out, as a last ditch effort to get people to buy the 2017 Season Pass,

which I already bought, and they also did a bit of teasing for the new "family rides" opening this season....

Season PlayPass holders get UNLIMITED access to over 30 rides and attractions here at Playland;

including 3 NEW FAMILY RIDES! Take a sneak peak at the rides we have coming in 2017!

Follow @PNE_Playland on social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) to stay up to date with

events in Hastings Park and to find out when the new rides will be unveiled.

I agree with you that the first photo looks like an SBF Visa Spinning Coaster. I believe the second photo is of a Zamperla Magic Bikes ride. Now, the third ride, judging by the most recent photo appears to be some sort of Booster type ride. But, I could be wrong as I don't think that would be a ride which families would ride together as they can be quite intense. It will be interesting to see what the third ride is.

Photo Credit: Zamperla

^ A Magic Bikes ride would be cool. I got to ride one of those at Särkänniemi, Finland

(in Angry Birds Land!) during the TPR Scandi Tour. It was fun and a nice way

to just relax....around and around and around and.....

1451019096_ResizeofIMG_5927.JPG.b5881a743935b68e06d38888e8b9b13c.JPG

It's down there on the right, I believe. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

• 3 weeks later...

PNE.blog sent out a few photos of their taking care of rides during the winter season.

And they posted a photo of one of their three new "family rides" with this caption:

One of the THREE NEW RIDES to Playland this year has had the area prepped and ready for its arrival!

And yes, this IS exciting news to me, considering nothing else around us is open here, park-wise.

New-Ride-Prep-800-wide.png.3116938be0666ded7921a902e620dc0d.png

So now we know it's opposite Revelation and the Corkscrew coaster, at the back of the park.

Wave-Swinging-800-wide.png.e313abcbcedcfd929ba659f9d0608654.png

...without all the bling (and the chairs'n chains) on it. I didn't even recognize Wave Swinger at first, lol!

Wave.JPG.a07e835db947140a611b0b254e04226b.JPG

And it was amazing to see what this looked like...

PNE.blog sent out a few photos of their taking care of rides during the winter season.

And they posted a photo of one of their three new "family rides" with this caption:

One of the THREE NEW RIDES to Playland this year has had the area prepped and ready for its arrival!

And yes, this IS exciting news to me, considering nothing else around us is open here, park-wise.

Isn't that where Hells Gate was???

^ No, I'm pretty sure it'll actually be "around the corner" from Hells Gate.

A shot of last year's Playland map is shown below. It looks like to me from that pic, that this

new ride will be "located" there in that larger open space to the right of Hells Gate (23).

Hope that helps.

IMG_3094.JPG.383b3fa7f07f1e12a971838ab1236d47.JPG

And now they're named the three new family rides at Playland, opening in May...

Playland opens May 6 with three new family rides!

Spin your way through a magical land on the new coaster ride, Bug Whirled, peddle your way to the clouds flapping your wings on The Flutterbye, then take the plunge on The Marvelous Mechanical Monkey Mover. All three rides will accommodate the entire family, so get ready to share even more memories and screams this coming spring and summer.

Which means I can ride them too, without hurting myself, LOL! And here's itty bitty pix of them...

2017bug-whirled.jpg.04a7404d8a0cfd8204c90f05068f7650.jpg

2017flutterbye.png.10d7349c8a22c8c0db424960313d627c.png

2017monkey-mover.jpg.17739205b53452fb4ed5c0d96a53be07.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I took a walk over to Playland, early this afternoon.

To have a look-see at anything to do with the new rides, etc.

Unfortunately, couldn't see much from outside the fences.

But I did see dirt!

IMG_3099.JPG.cb92c598c871ba91c51b1552fc645214.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG.12de80beff09b3c6e0e2e643fe5da0b7.JPG

I never noticed this before! It's done in mosaic, and it's on the back of the arcade games

that operate during our annual fair, The PNE.

IMG_3101.JPG.63b846b455cf3cee9bb227870bb371ab.JPG

There be DIRT! Or gravel or something like that. I believe.

IMG_3102.JPG.c01463d97fdef424e14f199c4bab15e4.JPG

Silently waiting for May.

IMG_3103.JPG.ba160edadead8b30387fe995fdf7c9ee.JPG

Noted! (o:

• 4 weeks later...

EARTH-SHATTERING PLAYLAND NEWS!

Well, not really. The owners of the park decided that their new family drop tower, opening

this season, couldn't be remembered as "The Marvelous Mechanical Monkey Mover".

So, they renamed it this...

Dizzy Drop - NEW

Hold on to your hat as you shoot up to the sky then take the plunge back down on the marvelous Dizzy Drop.

Riders must be at least 42" tall to ride. Riders between 38"-42" MUST be accompanied by an adult.

2017dizzy-drop.jpg.6b5947c820f76c8cbeef96375c8cbdf4.jpg

Same new ride. But new New Name for it.

Playland opens Saturday, May 6th.

• 1 month later...

New Game in the Playland Games Arcade...

Bombs Away

"A little bathroom fun never hurt anyone! Toss one or two whiffle balls into the toilet and get a prize!"

I have to try this, when the park re-opens May 6th.

bombs-away.jpg.6d8b2bd21c9e175e4e1c7a529960dc77.jpg

Cool! Whiffle balls and Toilets!

Because it's Easter Monday, I'm bored, and still stuffed up with...a cold I guess...

I checked the now available PDF map of Playland, and discovered a couple of

kids' attraction totally gone, with two of the new Family Rides in their place.

Sad to see gone, but I wouldn't have done either attraction myself. And so, like

Autopia in Tokyo Disneyland, our little version has also been replaced, by the

new coaster in our collection....Bug Whirled.

And the other to say "Buh Bye" was ARRRRRRRRRR the Pirate Playship! Shocking,

I know! The footprint of the thing isn't that much, that it couldn't be relocated, etc.

So, the Flutterbye attraction goes in the area, around where the Ship was.

As for the Dizzy Drop, it's ended up between Hells Gate and Corkscrew, in a way.

The new map will show all....

IMG_7367.JPG.1efcf0d2987adf5b8b7483c998dd68a2.JPG

Pretty simple but little ones loved it. Oh look, a runaway car!

IMG_7368.JPG.005a0343e93d3d0d8bb843a301bc5c46.JPG

Strange Pandora-like flora at "Mini CARSLand", popping out of the ground!

BusAd04a.jpg.d59c0a1731e5e4432b1bdbf160896bc2.jpg

When The Beast arrived, our little Carsland racers got nervous. And scared.

Guess they couldn't take The Shadow of...TB, any more.

IMG_3176.JPG.6674238816fccc863e2597224b25cb03.JPG

"Our Little CARSland." R.I.P.

IMG_3101.JPG.b50307467ed78944782a4a60e8567753.JPG

Pretty sure that's where Dizzy Drop goes. To the right of The DIRT!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised how early the park closes on some of the dates we will be in town (3pm). It looks like we will visit Sat June 24, as we should be able to fit the 6pm close time into our schedule. I assume there is no lights around the park? I imagine Coaster would be a great night ride.

I'm surprised how early the park closes on some of the dates we will be in town (3pm). It looks like we will visit Sat June 24, as we should be able to fit the 6pm close time into our schedule. I assume there is no lights around the park? I imagine Coaster would be a great night ride.

Coaster is an alright night ride but my favourite is the Breakdance at night, even though the ride cycle sucks the lights on it is amazing, Coaster is simply Christmas lights on the railings, and as for night rides it's only during the PNE which is the last 2 weeks in August, I'm hoping it'll get better with this supposed expansion and they'll have the park open much later during the entire summer months.

^ And during Fright Nights too, lights are all on the rides that are opened during the event.

I'm sad too, that they never really close later in the evening during the regular season.

I wish that they could maybe do "Special Light Nights" and keep the park open later on

a say, Saturday evening? Even staying open till 9 (instead of the usual 6 or 7pm) would

allow a bit of time for the lights to come on.

^^ Forgot to mention! Make some time for, and pay for, The Haunted Mansion walk-through.

Yes, it's an upcharge (for the actors inside), but it's on par with some of the best Haunt Houses I've been

through, around the world on TPR Tours. Worth the extra $. I hope you enjoy it, if you do "visit."

AND - the Mini Golf Adventure is included with your Park Pass, this season! Worth a try, I'd say.

IMG_6614.JPG.5f7278df087857f4833dac9bfbe41b1e.JPG

You can't miss it. Worth a visit, IMhO. (o;