TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

This is an interesting story I saw this morning.

and unfortunately, as sign of the times we live in, sadly

no more "do not disturb" signs. . . not that they always worked anyway, LOL, as often I'll have that up and Housekeeping knocks anyways. (not at Disney, I mean just in general when I'm traveling)

I DO like how Disney is handling it, but sad that it's come to this.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/03/news/companies/disney-do-not-disturb/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a very special kind of media event at Walt Disney World which actually wasn't about Walt Disney World at all! Disney invited us out to The Living Seas special events area at Epcot so we could sample some food offerings from Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, and Disney's Aulani resort in Hawaii, and they talked about some new additions coming soon to those destinations.

Let's jump right into some of the amazing food and awesome news we heard today...

Check out the replay of the live stream we did from today's event...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

000.thumb.JPG.5339ecd5c26bf18d10a96167498678d1.JPG

As if Epcot wasn't already amazing with the Festival of the Arts going on, adding some delicious food from three amazing higher-end Disney offerings was icing on the cake!

001.thumb.JPG.545b66b53014b042dd418f340eb5aebe.JPG

We entered The Living Seas lounge, which is a super cool venue if you ever wanted to throw an awesome party, have your wedding, etc...

002.thumb.JPG.fe78fe74107d1d99a65080ecd1084f91.JPG

The event started off with some dancing from Aulani's Luau, which is rated one of the best in the world!

003.thumb.JPG.d1593892070c92c5c825e1736ef4045e.JPG

This resort is still on my bucket list (and I'm sure it will be crossed off soon enough!)

004.thumb.JPG.83fbcb66fd396bca3dd3b27f9c49b33f.JPG

The dancers were fantastic!

005.thumb.JPG.2266c746c7896645e687f40e3849e3b8.JPG

Let's start with the Tuna Poke, which is all the rage right now in big cities and it was awesome to see this delicious item being offered as one of Aulani's signature dishes.

006.thumb.JPG.07b2d212bdd410bc1d04379556423114.JPG

We also had the tomato soup, again, fantastic!

007.thumb.JPG.8c88505d04d790ece1cc29af9a22a026.JPG

The resort is located on 21 oceanfront acres on the western side of O‘ahu. Guests can hang out in their lazy river, explore adventure trails, enjoy fire pit story telling, full service spa & fitness center, movie nights, live Hawaiian entertainment, high-end dining, bars, lounges, and so much more!

008.thumb.JPG.60f4a2ac651b5711e40d3dad3eb07851.JPG

Let's move on to Disney Cruise lines. Here are two awesome dishes I sampled...

009.thumb.JPG.d80e49760fa2b7ab68b213723769f691.JPG

010.thumb.JPG.5c19cb24def519b658b8f9ac16110812.JPG

This gnocchi was one of my favorite items of the day! Delicious!

011.thumb.jpg.8c2e790dc8c03ee378010e9abb28feab.jpg

Castaway Cay, Disney’s private island in the Bahamas, is consistently a top-rated destination. In 2018, the Disney Dream will sail a series of cruises that include two stops at Castaway Cay so guests can have twice the fun in the sun and enjoy even more of the pristine island paradise.

011a.thumb.JPG.5caeb2874b6450c61432e5719fcdba4c.JPG

Guess who is getting her own restaurant on the Disney Magic? At Rapunzel’s Royal Table, families will delight in an all-new dining experience inspired by the beloved story of Disney’s “Tangled.” The first table service restaurant themed to “Tangled” that features characters and live entertainment will transport Disney Magic guests to the kingdom of Corona for an evening of music and interactive fun featuring Rapunzel and the mischievous Snuggly Duckling Thugs.

012.thumb.jpg.9b2458e4287e5523403723f9a770e25b.jpg

Disney Cruise Line guests can celebrate Marvel Day at Sea on the Disney Magic during eight special voyages from Miami departing January through April 2018.

013.thumb.jpg.025cb3f2bb2d60f2924eec2cba4dbfce.jpg

In 2018, the epic day at sea returns to Disney Cruise Line with 15 special Disney Fantasy sailings to the Caribbean from January through April. Star Wars Day at Sea transports guests to a galaxy far, far away to celebrate the legendary adventures and iconic characters from the Star Wars saga with Jedi, Wookiees, droids, Stormtroopers and others during the special day-long celebration.

013a.thumb.JPG.1775c534cfe90a69fbfdc2bd4ab05656.JPG

And yes, there are Star Wars Day at Sea special food offerings as well!

014.thumb.jpg.1e5e109334a308c96f69653cc117dea6.jpg

I absolutely love this picture! lol! Marvel at Sea features all-day entertainment including interactions with some of the mightiest Marvel Super Heroes and the menacing foes who oppose them, an extraordinary deck show spectacular, Marvel-themed youth activities, special merchandise and unique food and beverage offerings.

015.thumb.JPG.cc2ffe944efd175de4f37660d7e8c461.JPG

And we will end this Disney Cruise Lines segment with one more amazing dish!

016.thumb.jpg.debf7377ae2774d7ceaa76d55c19266d.jpg

And now for Adventures by Disney, which after our Danube River Cruise with them last summer, we cannot say enough good things about! A new 10-day, 9-night Seine river cruise vacation combines two days exploring Paris on land, followed by eight days of cruising to picturesque French destinations such as Conflans, Vernon and more.

017.thumb.JPG.4f7f6a343fc3aadf039db946628d06d6.JPG

Did someone say macarons? You'll be able to get plenty of them when you travel to Paris with Adventures by Disney!

018.thumb.JPG.4076f4975bc4dc003e0d05c57d23ebf3.JPG

I love that AbD journeys are experiences beyond the parks, but with that Disney class-act service that you know and love from the parks!

018a.thumb.JPG.4cb569feb571b246643e48bd51ffefc2.JPG

The French Onion soup was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!

019.thumb.JPG.f9a3629cb263d8809fa79a1ed8ebcb76.JPG

Highlights of this new Seine River vacation include:

• Interactive culinary experiences, including a gourmet food tasting tour, regional wine and cheese sampling and hands-on macaron making demonstration.

• Guided tours of Paris icons, including Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre.

• Active excursion options for the whole family, including biking, canoeing, horseback riding, a ropes course and hiking on the stunning cliffs of Etretat.

020.thumb.JPG.8b380f2ed5847d160b976174687fa528.JPG

This Beef Goulash from the Danube River Cruise is by far my favorite thing I had today at the tasting! It was just delicious...

021.thumb.JPG.2c53e106b9877174869cf104aa86f65b.JPG

...and not just because we got to actually MAKE this very dish during our Adventures by Disney river cruise last summer! I simply cannot say enough things about Adventures by Disney. We absolutely love their excursions and highly recommend them!

022.thumb.JPG.8314093e6e8a19d77fff292de8f09f92.JPG

Ken Potrock, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Disney Vacation Club spoke to us about the new Copper Creek DVC offerings at Wilderness Lodge.

023.thumb.jpg.3a0662a2816280b9e2e5562bb48c1737.jpg

We actually rented out one of the cabins for ours and another family this past summer and again, the total package blew us away!

024.thumb.jpg.101b6b38ea0fe83f33305212e0426fab.jpg

Not only was the cabin a wonderful place for us to hang out at for three nights, but the new additions to the resort like the new pool area, Geyser Point Bar & Grill, and of course the long time favorite Artist Point were all highlights of our stay.

025.thumb.JPG.9d47f6b3884e08f4542137a8c9608588.JPG

Hey! Look who came to join us today! Captain Mickey!

026.thumb.JPG.e0eeaf3f772cc86b12b0deba8668d0e4.JPG

To close out the event, more entertainment from Aulani made us even more want to book a trip out to Hawaii!

027.thumb.JPG.b863751ee5cc1748640d7f79232dceb5.JPG

I am ready to use these luggage tags for one of each different Disney adventures!

028.thumb.JPG.5a5e82eab0dd5d7a5688694768947c8c.JPG

And as we head out of Epcot, we of course have to give a nod to Festival of the Arts! So happy this has returned for it's second year. It's certainly in my top five Epcot "festivals" as I absolutely LOVE it!

Thanks for reading everyone! Now... POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

73309257_RealQuatro.jpg.e1fd08ebcd5e4b11ce1d651f87ee53db.jpg

My wife and I have a kids-free Disney trip coming up next weekend and honestly I had kinda forgot about the Festival of the Arts at Epcot, but based on recent reviews from you guys and everywhere else I'm pretty excited about it. Glad we're spending most of a full day at Epcot and decided to not make a dining reservation so we can just stroll around and eat/drink at all of the stands dedicated to the festival.

(yes I realize the previous report from the Cruise Line, Aulani, and Adventures By Disney isn't part of the Festival of the Arts but still looking forward to the event.)

just have to say how much I love that the video "frame" is the Tuna Poke. . the thing I was saying looked Amazing over and over in your live stream on this.

LOL. . Disney knows how to get me hungry!

it all looks pretty incredible. .

These experiences all get a premium price, but they're all worth it. KT and I still bring up that Adventures by Disney River Cruise on an almost daily basis!

I remember you saying how much you loved that trip as a family. It looked like such a diversity of beautiful sights, fun excursions and good eats. Just wondering what made that particular trip stand out to you amidst all the many adventures you've enjoyed around the world?

Alice

^I think it was just nice seeing how well it was put together. My husband and child are not super into culture and nature but Disney did a great job keeping them entertained and interspersing fun activities into boring city and castle tours. Throw in a great riverboat with food and scenery and it was awesome.

^I think it was just nice seeing how well it was put together. My husband and child are not super into culture and nature but Disney did a great job keeping them entertained and interspersing fun activities into boring city and castle tours. Throw in a great riverboat with food and scenery and it was awesome.

Thanks, Elissa. My respect for Disney has really grown since I joined TPR and followed your family's adventures. Growing up, all I wanted out of family vacations was a pool and rides. My mom was 'responsible' for seeing to the 'cultural' side of travel. My dad was in charge of 'good eating!' Bet we ALL would have LOVED that Disney riverboat option!

Alice

• 3 weeks later...

Walt Disney World has sent us a press release announcing the extension of the final Spring Training season for the Atlanta Braves at ESPN Wide World of Sports before they move to their new training facilities.

The Atlanta Braves have announced that they will extend their Spring Training agreement with ESPN Wide World of Sports at Walt Disney World Resort through April 2019. The move was made to ensure there is enough time to complete their new facility in West Villages in the City of North Port, Sarasota County. The Braves will play their final 2019 Spring Training game in the new ballpark. The complex will officially open in April 2019 with the team’s Florida operations moving in at that time.

“We are thankful for our good friends at Walt Disney World Resort and are excited for this extension,” said John Schuerholz, Atlanta Braves Vice Chairman Emeritus. “We also appreciate the foresight and thoughtfulness of our partners in North Port, Sarasota County and West Villages in recognizing such an extension will be of benefit as we continue to make progress on our new facility. When complete, our new, state-of-the-art facility will secure our long-term goal of creating a perfectly positioned and operational Spring Training facility for the next 30 years.”

The Braves have held their Spring Training at Champion Stadium at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista, Florida since 1998.

When completed, the new ballpark in North Port will feature 6,500 fixed seats and 2,500 additional general admission, including berm and concourse.

“We fully support this decision by the Atlanta Braves as the construction administrators for the project,” said Jeff Maultsby, director of Sarasota County’s Office of Business and Economic Development. “The agreements between the project partners always envisioned and addressed the possibility that 2020 could be the Braves’ first full spring in Sarasota County, and we are excited to celebrate their arrival at the 2019 spring training finale.”

The overall facility will include six and a half practice fields, 55,000 square feet of clubhouse and fitness center for the Braves along with multi-purpose fields and public space that can be used for special events by the City and County.

The complex will operate year-round with extended spring training for minor league teams, Gulf Coast League and Fall Instructional League.

Disney Vacation Club has also sent us a press release announcing the new survey results showing that Disney Vacation Club members are more likely that most Americans to plan vacation time and to actually take annual vacations!

Dreaming of a beautiful destination, restful days and time away from the office? According to a new survey, Disney Vacation Club might just be the answer to helping Americans use more vacation time. As part of the U.S. Travel Association’s Project: Time Off National Plan for Vacation Day, Disney Vacation Club released survey results showing that their members are more likely than most Americans to plan vacation time in advance, as well as ensure they take annual vacations.

These findings show that, while more than half of Americans (54 percent according to Project: Time Off Initiative) fail to use all of their time off, 81 percent of Disney Vacation Club members used all of their vacation time by comparison. Recent Disney Vacation Club insights even show that a majority of members (95 percent) plan and take a vacation annually while only 54 percent of Americans do the same, which constitutes more than 40 percent more vacations planned per year than other U.S. travelers.

“Disney Vacation Club is the ideal way to vacation because it enables families to commit to investing more time with each other while enjoying unforgettable vacations year after year,” said Ken Potrock, senior vice president, Disney Vacation Club. “Our members enjoy stays at 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts in the United States, as well as at thousands of vacation destinations worldwide. By providing our members a wealth of choices for how to make the most out of their annual vacation time, Disney Vacation Club offers the perfect solution for those looking to savor what’s most important in life – time together with the ones we love.”

Project: Time Off recently released study findings showing more than 659 million paid vacation days go unused every year, and that the most effective remedy for Americans who want to use more vacation days is better planning.

However, survey results gathered from Disney Vacation Club members in December 2017 tell a more positive story, showing that Disney Vacation Club members enjoy an increased vacation frequency when traveling with Disney Vacation Club. Seventy-two percent of respondents said that being a Disney Vacation Club member inspires them to take more vacations, and 71 percent of respondents said that being a member ensures they take vacations annually.

Planning for vacation is an inherent element of the Disney Vacation Club experience with support provided throughout the process. As a result, members are able to overcome one of the primary barriers many have in using all of their vacation time.

To help employees get their vacation days on the calendar, Project: Time Off created a vacation planning tool. By simply entering the number of days off earned, users can plot out their trips or vacations for the year, export to their work or personal calendar, and share with their family and co-workers.

dvc1.thumb.jpg.010b7ba4cbe129b7baeeb40a72b71f77.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...

WELL I just got a crazy surprise. After I menionted going to Disneyland this weekend my parents did some digging and uncovered our 2002 4 day park hopper tickets. Apparently we only used 3 days during our visit. (Were they ever going to tell me?! )

After some researching and talking with the amazing customer service team the tickets are still valid and they're more than happy to convert the 3 guest tickets and 2 child tickets to 5 current day tickets at the park whenever we'd like the visit. It pays to hold onto things!

Thanks to the stellar cast member service that answered my questions and I'm stoked to have an impromptu visit to Orlando this year!

If you think you have tickets with days remaining do some research and call the team to see if you're in luck!

20180214_121231.thumb.jpg.b2e858b0d7fc29f2c8b93ad3b91aec67.jpg

Hello old friends!!!

WELL I just got a crazy surprise. After I menionted going to Disneyland this weekend my parents did some digging and uncovered our 2002 4 day park hopper tickets. Apparently we only used 3 days during our visit. (Were they ever going to tell me?! )

After some researching and talking with the amazing customer service team the tickets are still valid and they're more than happy to convert the 3 guest tickets and 2 child tickets to 5 current day tickets at the park whenever we'd like the visit. It pays to hold onto things!

Thanks to the stellar cast member service that answered my questions and I'm stoked to have an impromptu visit to Orlando this year!

If you think you have tickets with days remaining do some research and call the team to see if you're in luck!

I had the same thing happen a few years ago when my mother in law found tickets from sometime in the late 80s! Don't know specifically when but it was before MGM Studios opened because the tickets were only valid for Epcot and magic Kingdom and were the old style paper tickets that actually had a perforated tabs that tore off to give at entry for each day. There were 3 day kids tickets, one with 2 days left and one with 1 but guest services gave me adult park hoppers of the same length, so that was a pretty good investment after all these years haha.

I asked if they could somehow invalidate the ticket so I could keep it as a souvenir but they wouldn't let me, oh well I've got pictures somewhere.

Edit: Link Removed. Please do not ever link to that site again. Thank you.

I completely understand. I know on another forum they are a banned source. I wasn't aware they were banned here as well. I personally can't stand the guy either.

Edited by robbalvey

• 3 weeks later...

Screamscape is reporting that the Disneyworld resorts are going to start charging resort guests for parking. If this is true, I'm not too thrilled about it. We are already paying top dollar to stay on property. One of the factors for us staying on property, is the money we save in parking fees(as we usually go for a week to 10 days at a time). I believe it's something like $22-$25 a day to park...that adds up quick.

What are your thoughts on this?

Universal Hotels charge for parking, the big resort hotels in Orlando charge for parking, I see it as a sign of the times unfortunately. There's a lot of discussion about parking and 'hotel fees', but for now they seem to be getting worse, not better.

Doesn't surprise me. People don't often compare final cost to final cost. A lot of hotels compete on price based on the room rate, so it's a fairly common tactic to add fees for other things to get that room rate as low as possible. Parking and wifi are two things that were almost always free 5 years ago but now are starting to see fees in more places.

It's too bad if they do, but it's not shocking or unexpected. Most places do charge for parking, so while it sucks, it's just how it is now. At least it won't be as bad as $75 a night like New York!

It's official: https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/14mar2018-disney-to-begin-charging-for-overnight-self-parking-at-its-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels.htm

- Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night

- Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night

- Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night

- Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Outside of big city hotels, universal studios, and a few mega resorts we have stayed at over the years we have never had to pay a parking fee to stay.

Exactly. Places where space is at a premium or the resort destination distinction can dictate charging for parking. Some Days Inn in podunk Indiana will never charge for parking.