Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:42 am

What are they previewing?

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby livai » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 am

leviathan & fury 325 = waste of money

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Mike240SX wrote:I never ridden Iron Worf

No, that seems dangerous.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby steamedturtle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Rougarou wrote:Off subject- Anyone going to Pass Holder Preview night?

Sure, why not? Might be nice to get some night rides on Superman.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:03 am

CoasterAuditor wrote:I highly doubt Six Flags is straight up losing money on SFA otherwise it would of probably been sold off a long time ago when they were liquidating in bankruptcy.

It's not so much about revenues minus expenses, its about the economic opportunity cost. Sure, you can run a park, and take in more money than you spend, and that's fine. But if there is an opportunity to sell at a premium to an investor who is either overpaying for it, or could make more than you could, you would be a wise businessperson to consider that option. Remember, some money is fine, but even more money is even better.

Think about it this way. In one scenario you're taking a risk, and hoping that you can squeeze a profit margin out of a risky venture and cover costs. In another scenario, you have tons of cold hard cash shoved into your pocket, you can sell off the assets of the parks, and other invest the money in institutional equities, return it to shareholders and buy back some of the company, or plow the money into better performing parks, or acquire parks that might be better placed to properly serve the public and operating at better margins.

You either grow and you evolve, or you die.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby SLCHeadache » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 am

CoasterLover wrote:
bill_s wrote:
Trackmaster wrote:One thing occurs to me reading "high end restaurants, bars, and shops" -- if they do that, leave some rides behind in operation, just change the whole nature of where they're at.

Why not both? SFA has a TON of land they will never use. Why not have some sort of City Walk/Disney Springs arrangement where Six Flags builds and leases space to some of these higher end bars/shops? Bars and shops would be unlikely to complain about any noise (unlike if they leased the land for condos) and it would be a year round source of income...

Eh, I'm not sure Six Flags is a brand that can pull that kind of upscale marketing off compared to Disney or Cedar Fair.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 pm

SLCHeadache wrote:
CoasterLover wrote:
bill_s wrote:
Trackmaster wrote:One thing occurs to me reading "high end restaurants, bars, and shops" -- if they do that, leave some rides behind in operation, just change the whole nature of where they're at.

Why not both? SFA has a TON of land they will never use. Why not have some sort of City Walk/Disney Springs arrangement where Six Flags builds and leases space to some of these higher end bars/shops? Bars and shops would be unlikely to complain about any noise (unlike if they leased the land for condos) and it would be a year round source of income...

Eh, I'm not sure Six Flags is a brand that can pull that kind of upscale marketing off compared to Disney or Cedar Fair.

Interesting idea. Heck, they could maybe even put hotels in there, or luxury condos that were heavily reinforced and soundproof, and made all the new residences acknowledge that they waive all rights to complain about noise in the future in perpetuity. I feel like bars and restaurants and shops would be a great way to go, but they're not nearly as lucrative as luxury housing would be that close to DC. Also, keep in mind, there are a ton of lucrative private government contractor firms with tons of skilled jobs all over southern Maryland and NoVa as well. Any area that is undeveloped is coveted, as housing is limited, and for areas that are already developed for housing, it probably already has existing older style housing that isn't as desirable for younger wealthy people.

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:07 pm

SLCHeadache wrote:Eh, I'm not sure Six Flags is a brand that can pull that kind of upscale marketing off compared to Disney or Cedar Fair.

:lmao: "Six Flags" and "upscale marketing" even appearing in the same sentence is hilarious.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:10 pm

^^-- I wasn't thinking it would necessarily end up being a Six Flags with my combination idea -- I really don't know how it would work. It just seemed odd to be talking about putting in bars and other entertainments in place of an amusement park when there's malls with coasters in them. Screwed up priorities! But, money.

I started talking about sale of the property in trying to explain what could be going on. Of course there's even some possibility they don't put much in SFA because they know the park inherently becomes unpleasant when crowded and it just increases the "reputation" issues. Or maybe Six Flags is trying different ways to run parks, it's even starting to work.... I don't think Six Flags is in a hurry to sell the place even if they see it in the future. I just think it could be a factor in their decisions that the land it is on is more valuable than usual (and relatively unspectacular as well).

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 am

bill_s wrote:^^-- I wasn't thinking it would necessarily end up being a Six Flags with my combination idea -- I really don't know how it would work. It just seemed odd to be talking about putting in bars and other entertainments in place of an amusement park when there's malls with coasters in them. Screwed up priorities! But, money.

I started talking about sale of the property in trying to explain what could be going on. Of course there's even some possibility they don't put much in SFA because they know the park inherently becomes unpleasant when crowded and it just increases the "reputation" issues. Or maybe Six Flags is trying different ways to run parks, it's even starting to work.... I don't think Six Flags is in a hurry to sell the place even if they see it in the future. I just think it could be a factor in their decisions that the land it is on is more valuable than usual (and relatively unspectacular as well).

I have to imagine if it wasn't doing well financially, It would've been sold like Darien Lake and Kentucky Kingdom.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!