Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 681 - Wahoo River to replace Castaway Creek in 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby MisterBrow » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 am

Rayj wrote:A minderaser retheme and new trains is well overdue. Hopefully for the 2019 season if we’re not getting a new coaster.

After months of hype and speculation and the DIppin' Dots guy said JJ is being removed and I heard a worker saying he can't wait until the stand up coaster is gone and I saw a guy with an RMC shirt poking around ROAR and me just saying hey man, can we get that path???

The New for 2019! announcement will be a new sign and name for Mind Eraser.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! Glad they were able to make Six Flags America look nice for once. :lmao:

All kidding aside, I'm glad to hear Wild One is still running well. I do wish that coaster were still in my backyard at Paragon but I guess all those rich people love having their condos on Nantasket. It must be amazing to have a drop tower for Holiday in the Park so you can enjoy all the lights on the ascent.

Thanks! While objectively I guess Superman is the best ride in the park, I sort of feel like Wild One is their signature ride. It's the only ride in the park where there isn't a better version of the same ride elsewhere (well... I guess Roar is unique now too) and while I know nobody outside of the enthusiast community knows or cares, I personally don't mind skipping some of those objectively better rides to re-ride Wild One. It's an absolute blast.

boldikus wrote:Nice report! The lights look really great. Voodoo Drop is awesome, and glad to hear it getting some love from you. It's small, but its got a nice little bit of force to it.

I couldn't believe that thing was actually good. It's so short I was really wondering why they even bothered, but the drop was surprisingly awesome. I guess that just goes along with Intamin's pattern of making rides that should be ridiculously f*cing stupid way better than they have any right to be (looking at you, Skull Mountain). :lol:

michaellynn4 wrote:Awesome photos! That sucks to hear about Chop Six. I held out hope that it'd at least be an at-best decent replacement, but looks like it's not meant to be.

Yeah, it's PURE sh*t. I guess the chicken is fine. It's way worse than Panda Express (which is average at best anyway), and probably the worst Chinese food chicken I've ever eaten in my life but for a theme park it's fine. It blows my mind that they could screw up white rice though. It was completely inedible. If you drown white rice in soy sauce and it still sucks, that's almost a miracle. You could drown cardboard in Soy Sauce and it would be good.

CoasterAuditor wrote:Would this year but probably still need to drop some lbs before I try riding a PTC train.

The seatbelts on those Wild One and Roar trains are awful, even for a PTC train. I don't know how they are in terms of length, but they're impossible to buckle with so many layers on and I would imagine it would be a similar situation for anyone trying to squeeze into the train. The buckle itself is like 2 inches from the side of the train and they don't extend any further plus they're the annoying old airline style buckles that take forever to buckle when you can't see the thing. I'm not saying someone who has to squeeze into the train can't ride, but it might be a process. The ride ops had to assist basically everyone. The tighter the squeeze, the longer it took. Replacing them with seatbelts from this millennium would speed up dispatch times a lot, but this park clearly doesn't care. :lol:

Jason Maier wrote:Nice photos sir . . . and yes Wild One is the oldest operating coaster in the US now

Awesome! I thought so, but I wasn't sure. It's a great ride.

Jason Maier wrote:protection helps

F*ck yeah it does :lol:

gardyloo! wrote:^^ Your trip reports just keep on coming and coming Bill, awesome :lmao: !! So the whole Gotham section was closed off? Which includes their top 3 coasters (that statement is debatable however).

Thanks! And yup, they cut the pathway right at Wild One. On one hand it's a shame since (as you mentioned) most of the best coasters in the park are in the back but at the same time it's so ridiculously ugly back there that I sort of like it. Without that desolate sh*thole in the back of the park, Six Flags America is actually pretty nice and almost charming. When coupled with the great Christmas lights, it doesn't even feel like the same park. It feels like a small, intimate family owned park. Even if they wanted to, they would never be able to decorate the back of the park and make it look good so I'm cool with it.

MisterBrow wrote:Chop Stix is great!

When I want my drink refilled and don't want to wait in a line because nobody is eating in there.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby CoasterLover » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 am

coasterbill wrote:
Jason Maier wrote:Nice photos sir . . . and yes Wild One is the oldest operating coaster in the US now

Well... maybe... I dunno... but only on a technicality. Really, Wild One (as it currently stands) has about as much connection to Giant Coaster as Twister at Knoebles has to Mr. Twister (the former coaster at Elitch Gardens that Twister is based on). The layout has changed significantly, the trains are new(er), and when the ride was moved, little (if any) of the actual hardware from the ride moved from MA to MD. Besides, the ride has had too many modernization and just "feels" too new.

There should be a clear designation between "oldest operating" (which I guess Wild One could claim) and (in my opinion), the more prestigious honor, "oldest continually operating" (which I believe would go to Kennywood's Jackrabbit and Seabreeze's Jackrabbit now).

But of course, that's all just personal opinion...

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 am

coasterbill wrote:Thanks! While objectively I guess Superman is the best ride in the park, I sort of feel like Wild One is their signature ride. It's the only ride in the park where there isn't a better version of the same ride elsewhere (well... I guess Roar is unique now too) and while I know nobody outside of the enthusiast community knows or cares, I personally don't mind skipping some of those objectively better rides to re-ride Wild One. It's an absolute blast.

Wild One was my favorite coaster when I visited, but that's because Ride of Steel pulled an Intamin and was down for the day. I have ridden the mirror image at Darien and can say that coaster is superior though, so unless SFA ran their's into the ground, Wild One would probably me my second favorite ride in the park.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Jason Maier » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 am

CoasterLover wrote:
coasterbill wrote:

Well... maybe... I dunno... but only on a technicality. Really, Wild One (as it currently stands) has about as much connection to Giant Coaster as Twister at Knoebles has to Mr. Twister (the former coaster at Elitch Gardens that Twister is based on). The layout has changed significantly, the trains are new(er), and when the ride was moved, little (if any) of the actual hardware from the ride moved from MA to MD. Besides, the ride has had too many modernization and just "feels" too new.

There should be a clear designation between "oldest operating" (which I guess Wild One could claim) and (in my opinion), the more prestigious honor, "oldest continually operating" (which I believe would go to Kennywood's Jackrabbit and Seabreeze's Jackrabbit now).

But of course, that's all just personal opinion...

From what I've read, it was only the lift hill motor/chain and the cars (the current PTC trains came aboard in '97) that came with the former 'Giant Coaster' when it was purchased (reconstructed by Dinn Corporation). And the coaster didn't operate in '85 (Paragon Park closed in '84 and the coaster sold in '85) and '91 (Wild World wasn't open at all because of $$$ issues).

You are correct in that Kennywood's and Seabreeze's Jackrabbit's are the oldest CONTINUALLY operating coasters (as Leap the Dips is MIA this year, and was also MIA from 1986-May 1999)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Jason Maier » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Another visit to HITP today for me (and yes . . . Roar in colder weather is a GREAT ride; and I'd assume that applies to any GCI woody)

And yes . . . I decided to flex with Daffy and Tweety :D
20171202_141809.jpg
Posing time . . . .

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby steamedturtle » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Went to HitP today, and I agree with everything that's been said about it. It's a fun time, and you barely notice that Gotham City isn't open. The park's open for 7 hours, and for a majority of those hours, it's really dark. That combined with the relative cold makes for a unique experience. The park was crowded and lively, but the waits for rides were negligible. Today was the first time I roar Roar in 10 years, and it's running so great. Every bit as good, if not better, than it was in 2007. Wild One is running pretty well, but a few of my rides had some very uncomfortable bumps. Mind Eraser is better than Apocalypse, and that's insane. Voodoo drop packs a punch, and runs so quickly. The larson loop is a bit nauseating, probably won't ride again. And finally, RC was very fun, but only rode it once because it consistently had the longest line. Might head back before the year is up to get some more night rides on Roar.

Here's some pictures mostly of the lights, which were great.

20171203_161337.jpg

20171203_173031.jpg

20171203_173440.jpg

20171203_180205.jpg

20171203_180233.jpg

20171203_180241.jpg

20171203_180526.jpg

20171203_181347.jpg

20171203_192826.jpg

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:01 pm

What's going on in that second to last picture? Some kind of show?

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Great report!!!

steamedturtle wrote:Wild One is running pretty well, but a few of my rides had some very uncomfortable bumps.

Wild One is great, but it can REALLY beat the hell out of you in the wrong seat. We only ride it in non wheel seats (so the middle row of any car) or in the front row.

TBpony414 wrote:What's going on in that second to last picture? Some kind of show?

Six Flags America actually has 2 "major" holiday shows which is cool since Great Adventure and New England really only have one. That's an elf stunt show that's actually really fun. it's corny as hell and the cast consists of 4 people total, but we really enjoyed it.

I ask dumb questions.

Postby djackson » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 am

Has the park released some concept art for the new Lazy River yet? I'm confused about how big of a project this is considering they haven't started yet.
My Home park is Six Flags America
Coaster Count: 70 :cry:
Instagram:kvng_coasters
YouTube: Kvng Of Coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!