Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 976 - Chocolatetown & New Roller Coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am

Mike240SX wrote:Yes it was. People are delusional.

Maybe it's not that "people are delusional."

Maybe it's that people didn't know that the FAA waiver had been filed, or that it was only for "up to 220ft."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RaceBoarder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:56 am

A.J. wrote:I'm not sure where all this talk of a 300+ foot coaster has come from, wasn't that FAA waiver granted for up to 220 feet?

Forget it... They're rollin'. ;)

Postby coasterbill » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 am

I’ve seen multiple people (actual people that live among us) claiming that the 220 foot thing is just confirmation of a “terrain giga” which (I guess) is going to dive 80 feet underground in a flood zone.

Just give up.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby amy_mel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:10 pm

coasterbill wrote:I’ve seen multiple people (actual people that live among us) claiming that the 220 foot thing is just confirmation of a “terrain giga” which (I guess) is going to dive 80 feet underground in a flood zone.

Just give up.

Wait Bill. Does that make it a 300 ft aquatrax made by B&M? Lol

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby prospekt88 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:37 pm

One thing I glanced over while reading the initial announcement was the budget...$150 million?!

I mean even the most elaborate B&M Hyper coasters aren't costing $50 million. So they are putting well over $100 million into basically a new gift shop, restaurant, and entrance plaza buildings? I'm sure there's a lot of demolition and land leveling that must be done, but even Dollywood's new land is only costing them $37 mil, including all the rides. This is must be one impressive restaurant/gift shop haha.

(Disclaimer: This is not me complaining that they are spending a lot of money, I am excited to see this kind of investment from Hershey)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Perhaps the $150mil includes other changes down the line. Or maybe the demolition, excavation, utility reworking, construction, and other things I can't think of on the spot are more serious than one would think.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby linearinduction » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:28 pm

JG-77 wrote:Perhaps the $150mil includes other changes down the line. Or maybe the demolition, excavation, utility reworking, construction, and other things I can't think of on the spot are more serious than one would think.
Utility and Infrastructure is what is going to cost a lot of Money. This is why Lagoon ran a new powerline loop around the park, so they can literally tap into it wherever they need to in the future.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Don't You Know Who I Am? LagoonisFun.com

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby prospekt88 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Yeah, it's also possible they are including the price of land they acquired from the golf course, and the rerouting of Park Boulevard. But even if they are including those in the total $150 million, which I doubt because those things were done years ago, it's still a huge sum of cash for an entrance plaza. I guess some of it may be to improve infrastructure required to operate a theme park in a flood zone. Overall though I think this transformation is on a much bigger scale than I had originally envisioned.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am

I figured most of the cost was related to the infrastructure. Parks have built new entrances before (ex. Canobie or Cedar Point) but usually they're on the site of the old one. Hershey is completely moving the entrance to a new area which surely isn't cheap.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Camden Park & Disney's Hollywood Studios- Toy Story Land

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:13 am

coasterbill wrote:Moving on from my Triple Tower joke, here are my real thoughts on this:

I actually love Hersheypark's current entrance area. Clearly this won't have that same charm but at the same time it looks really cool and I'm sure the coaster will be a ton of fun. I understand why they're doing this because it's going to be way more efficient and profitable for them (and it's going to be open year round and directly adjacent to Chocolate World), but it's a shame that they're replacing such a charming entrance. I have faith that they'll make this one look really cool though.

That said, the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin. I love the bar and I think it's really smart of them to sell more unique craft cocktails. Options for drinking in the park are limited and since you can't walk around the park with a drink it's really important to provide people with nice places to sit and hang out if you want them to buy alcohol. A second story patio & bar with panoramic views sounds like an awesome place to have a few drinks, and providing cool cocktails (that are likely going to feature hints of chocolate) is a great way to turn beer sales into cocktail sales which gives them much higher profit margins and is a lot more unique and fun.

As for the coaster, every B&M hyper is awesome and I'm sure this will be too. They have mass appeal and everyone loves them. I do think it's pretty weird to have two hypercoasters right next to eachother right up front but they'll undoubtedly feel like drastically different experiences. I'll never complain about any park building a super fun, high capacity B&M hyper.

Fully agree with this. Its a shame theyre removing so much of the charm. I would have preferred they kept the existing entrance area and made the new entrance where the giant chocolate shop is. So, like, two entrances.

Also interesting that theyre going for "year round" options but thats not reflected anywhere in the park itself.

Maybe the next 5 new rides will all be indoor rides? That would allow them to copy what six flags great adventure has done with holiday in the park, where 1/3 of the park remains open longer because there are indoor options

RE: Cost

Maybe theyre spending a lot on flood management? Raising the grade of stuff is pricey

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!