Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 988: "Christmas in Hershey" 2018 offerings announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3679
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:58 pm

vertigomike wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
vertigomike wrote:
alilstronger wrote:
viper423 wrote:So one question I have. Unless I am mistaken, It appears as though the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail shop will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. How will they handle this?


I highly doubt they would do that.


Agreed, Bobby. This felt largely like a way to counter the fact that the Chocolate World experience is outside of the park. It always felt like a huge loss on the concession-side for the park the the most immersive part of the Hershey chocolate experience was outside of the park AND there was nothing really inside the park that was as comparable.

I don't understand. People keep saying things like this as though there never was a restaurant, snack locations, or a shop outside the park, but hasn't there ALWAYS been a restaurant, snack locations, and a shop in that front area entrance that you have to pass by on the way to Chocolate World?

It's not as though this new front entrance area is going to introduce things like a restaurant, shops and snack locations that are a new concept for Hersheypark, these things have ALWAYS been there, right?


I look at it this way: it didn't matter if there were shops at the current entrance. Most people -- park attendees and people passing through the town, get their souvenirs at Hershey's Chocolate World. It is a destination anchor attraction unto itself. The gift shops within the park are not. You're right: the additions themselves are not remarkably different concepts. The point though is that this is re-branding and the PR will definitely make it seem as such (as you have already witnessed in the reaction). Why?

Another way to think of it is that we all know many, even thrill seekers, would choose one (Chocolate World) over the other (Hershey Park) for the mere fact that I visit Hershey, PA for the chocolate experience. It was really a blunder that the brand (chocolate) became more identified with the attraction across the lot from the park rather than the park itself. It would be as if Legoland would build the largest LEGO Emporium in the country across the street from LEGOLAND Park (as you really would want Lego lovers to go to the park). If Coca-Cola had a park, I would expect the World of Coca-Cola to be within the all-day park experience not a separate attraction (even if I loves coasters, I would drive to experience coke. Hershey really is no exception). Destination tourist will pay for either, but stand to spend more money at the park rather than a mere store.

I see this really as a re-branding (if I love chocolate, I should want to go the Hershey Park). Especially with locating the larger scale chocolatier confecture experience and the largest Hershey chocolate merchandising venue now within the park gates, as Chocolate World was previously host to both claims to fame in the country).

This is a win-win all around for the Hershey Company.


God damn... You love parenthesis.

I teach at the school of donkey!
 
Posts: 315
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Location: Orlando
Gender: Male
Age: 29

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 pm

coasterbill wrote:Here, look. This is the new entrance... I mean, "ChocolateTown". Everything in red is clearly only going to be open when the park is open aside from maybe the bathroom because there would be no reason for any of it to be open otherwise. The rooftop bar is obviously inside the park and will only be open when the park is open.

looklooklook.png


You had me at "Coaster that's not as good as Skyrush" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love this new entrance area. When I went with some friends in the spring, we got there around opening and the security line was wayyy back up the hill you walk down into the entrance area, making us believe that we were in for a slammed park day, when it really didn't end up being very busy at all, it's just that they only had room for like 2-3 security checks across.

Whoever said that "thrill seekers" and other people are going to visit would choose Chocolate World over Hersheypark or whatever, you're drunk.

I don't really understand why anyone would care whether the rebuilt food stations/bar are inside or outside the park gate, especially if they won't let you walk around the park holding a drink anyway. If Starbucks is pre-gate, get it then go through security after. If the bar/restaurant ends up being pre-gate, just exit then re-enter when you're done?

Also...didn't they file with the planning board a few months ago for an attraction "no more than 220 feet in height"? If those are accurate, that should put to bed any rumors about it being a Giga and not a hyper. It looks fun, but I'm most excited about it drawing people towards it instead of Skyrush.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 2807
Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Location: Former Californian, newly Ohioan
Gender: Female
Age: 28

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:IMO, Leviathan and Fury do offer "different" experiences than their hyper-counterparts....

But that "difference", mainly lying in them simply being better...

Having an ejector air-time hyper in Skyrush and then a more graceful B&M hyper will be quite a dynamic duo.

I don't think there can ever be a more dynamic duo than MF and Steel Vengeance though...

Fix'd ;)

I see everyone saying it's going to be a hyper... did I miss something, or is that just the going theory? "Tallest fastest longest sweetest" compared to what, exactly?

Whether it's a giga or a hyper I don't care, this new development looks awesome! Hershey is already one of my favorite parks and it's getting even better! I can't wait to see this unfold and I'm definitely going to add it to my list of "must visit" parks for 2020.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”
Image

What would donkeys be like on the moon?
User avatar
 
Posts: 226
Joined: 13 Mar 2010
Location: Chocolate town
Gender: Female
Age: 43

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby amy_mel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:01 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Here, look. This is the new entrance... I mean, "ChocolateTown". Everything in red is clearly only going to be open when the park is open aside from maybe the bathroom because there would be no reason for any of it to be open otherwise. The rooftop bar is obviously inside the park and will only be open when the park is open.

looklooklook.png


You had me at "Coaster that's not as good as Skyrush" :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love this new entrance area. When I went with some friends in the spring, we got there around opening and the security line was wayyy back up the hill you walk down into the entrance area, making us believe that we were in for a slammed park day, when it really didn't end up being very busy at all, it's just that they only had room for like 2-3 security checks across.

Whoever said that "thrill seekers" and other people are going to visit would choose Chocolate World over Hersheypark or whatever, you're drunk.

I don't really understand why anyone would care whether the rebuilt food stations/bar are inside or outside the park gate, especially if they won't let you walk around the park holding a drink anyway. If Starbucks is pre-gate, get it then go through security after. If the bar/restaurant ends up being pre-gate, just exit then re-enter when you're done?

Also...didn't they file with the planning board a few months ago for an attraction "no more than 220 feet in height"? If those are accurate, that should put to bed any rumors about it being a Giga and not a hyper. It looks fun, but I'm most excited about it drawing people towards it instead of Skyrush.


They actually have 6 or 7 security checks crammed in that tiny area! That's how insanely packed it gets in there. Also, yes there are FAA filings at 220 ft so no giga.

And Bill also had me at coaster that is not as good as Skyrush :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 06 Sep 2011
Gender: None specified

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby raether » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:13 pm

How about Hershey KING SIZE. for the name or ... Hershey's Drops... King Size.
images.jpeg

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 6821
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:35 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:It looks fun, but I'm most excited about it drawing people towards it instead of Skyrush.

:nina: I love B&M hypers but I really love Skyrush so this is basically how I feel about the new ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6315
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:46 am

coasterbill wrote:Here, look. This is the new entrance... I mean, "ChocolateTown". Everything in red is clearly only going to be open when the park is open aside from maybe the bathroom because there would be no reason for any of it to be open otherwise. The rooftop bar is obviously inside the park and will only be open when the park is open.

looklooklook.png

Haha, yeah totally. This is just a bigger version of what's already there. It'll probably be more efficient, which means you can get to early entry on Skyrush faster. Yay.
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3679
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:12 am

raether wrote:How about Hershey KING SIZE. for the name or ... Hershey's Drops... King Size.

Oh wow. We're already playing the name game...

ffck my life

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!
User avatar
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby MartinU » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:49 am

Take a Google Walkthrough and you can see the issues. I'm going to Hersheypark for the first time this spring. Looking forward to Skyrush for sure!

Anyways, you can see the congestion issues that could arise from the narrow walkway, people using the shops, and just stupid people. Look at all the big parks, they are all going to a minimalistic, open and very "user-friendly" entrances. Sure, not the charm, but charm rarely sells ticket (unless you're a county fair).

I love donkeys more than me.
User avatar
 
Posts: 1727
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Location: Korea
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby Garet » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:53 am

alilstronger wrote:
viper423 wrote:So one question I have. Unless I am mistaken, It appears as though the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail shop will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. How will they handle this?


I highly doubt they would do that.


Lotte World has been doing this for years with the shopping mall restaurants in Underland. Normal entrances in the mall, themed on the park side and then a small divider fence in the restaurant with areas to place orders either side.

Found some pics from my old TR.

Image
Fenced one.
Image
This one wasn't fenced and you can see the mall from the park. The staff would check tickets and unlock the gate if I remember correctly.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron