Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 988: "Christmas in Hershey" 2018 offerings announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Location: noun - a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby bottom_feeder_13 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:43 pm

^ That, on my first ride (it was in the last row) the first drop brought it up around my ribs but I had up towards my neck on that last insane hill. Epic airtime wins the world.
RIP
Log Jammer, SFMM
1971-2011

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby kennywood_racer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Anyone know if "Larger riders have a problem with Sky Rush? If I fit in Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, should I fit?
ACE Member since 2006
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/f01fb565c111aea8064bc69997573c70.jpg[/img][/url]

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm

^They sit at different points of the body, so it really depends on how thick your thighs are for Skyrush as opposed to Fahrenheit and Strom Runner which sit more on your belly, chest and shoulders. Though I can say at 265 lbs I had no problem with any of the rides at Hershey.

Also Sky Rush is easily my new #1 despite it KILLING my thighs after my third ride.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:52 am

kennywood_racer wrote:Anyone know if "Larger riders have a problem with Sky Rush? If I fit in Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, should I fit?

I went with my cousin a few weeks ago, and she didn't have any problems. She's larger, but hasn't ever lost out on a ride. If you're fitting on the other Intamins, I'd like to think you'll be fine here!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 am

Here's the latest rumor from Screamscape:

General Resort News - (8/15/12) During the Coaster Crew “Rush The Sky” event at Hersheypark over this past weekend, an important hint was dropped by the staff during the behind the scenes tour. The group was told to be sure to ride all 12 roller coasters in the park before they leave, “because that number won’t be the same next year.” With SkyRush having just opened, it seems a good bet that the park is ready to retire one of their coasters this winter.
Nothing more was said, but the general speculation over the past few years is that Roller Soaker was on it’s last legs. The very limited capacity and success of the water park attractions around it simply make the site more valuable for a waterpark expansion than the park’s coaster count. I suppose we could also see the Wild Mouse or even Trailblazer retired as well, but my money is on Roller Soaker right now.

While RS would be the coaster I'd personally miss the least, it's always sad to see a one-of-a-kind coaster disappear. Maybe it could be relocated to a smaller park? Talk amongst yourselves.
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:08 am

^FYI, we were told the same thing during our backstage tour.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 am

I'm just glad that combined with technology, parks are realizing which rides are profitable(bring people in, normal routine maintenance) and which rides are money pits(low ridership, high cost of running). And as they do, that just means new, higher quality(sometimes) attractions for everyone to enjoy.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby vdejarnette » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:20 am

It's definitely Rolller Soaker. Trailblazer is the only real entry level coaster in the park and is a classic park icon for people that have been going there for years. I can't see it being removed because maintenance does not seem to be an issue. Wild Mouse still draws large lines and I'm not sure how its space could be better utilized. I've been to the park tons of times and never once bothered to ride Roller Soaker. I've hung out in the area and shot the water guns from the ground but the line was always prohibitive because of how slow throughput is. I think I remember getting in line for it once and getting out a half hour later after barely moving. Taking it out and adding a boardwalk themed River Battle ride would be a much more interesting use of that space, and it would eat more people/kids at the crowded Boardwalk.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:26 am

I'm surprised that Roller Soaker has lasted this long.

I hope that they at least add a higher-capacity water ride or slide in the near future (not necessarily a roller coaster), such as an Intamin 9-person rapids ride or a Proslide Mammoth.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 am

I'm all for them removing Roller Soaker for expansion, but I'm curious (and afraid) to see how much farther they'll push the waterpark. How many more rides have to get removed before they realize that putting the thing in the center of the park wasn't the best idea? Once Roller Soaker is gone, there isn't anything left in that area that can be dropped easily (or justifiably, based off of capacity/maintenance/low ridership).
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!