Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 928: New Breakers Edge Water Coaster construction photos
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby ahecht » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:10 am

TXman308 wrote:I'm still confused as to how this costs the same amount as I-305. Is it because the track is bigger? :?r

I would imagine that the terrain is a major factor in the cost. i305 was built on a flat field, whereas Skyrush construction involved rerouting a river, reconstructing the river bed, building new retaining walls, moving several rides and facilities, and reconstructing parts of the Comet's queue. They also had to work around existing midways and rides, conduct all sorts of engineering and environmental studies related to changing the river, and build structures designed to withstand regular flooding. Not to mention the engineering costs associated with the new trains and new track gauge.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby palmerleeberry » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 am

^ And don't forget: they also had to move the Tilt-a-Whirl ride to another place inside the park so that area can be used as the entrance for SKYRUSH.

Isn't it amazing how the rides in this area of the park seem to dance around each other.

So here's my dance:

:b :lmao: :b :lmao: :butt: =)

:pillow: "Done dancing yet? Please come to bed."

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby Magnum PA » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:30 am

TXman308 wrote:I'm still confused as to how this costs the same amount as I-305. Is it because the track is bigger? :?r

Hersheypark does not pay Intamin $25 million dollars, just as Kings Dominion did not pay Intamin $25 million for I-305. I would estimate that the actual price tag from Intamin for Skyrush is under $10 million. There are significant costs associated with Skyrush apart from design and steel.

Under normal circumstances with a steel coaster, you typically can divide the total cost in half to get the actual cost of the ride from the manufacturer.

Excavation (very significant with Skyrush), shipping, physical construction, added electrical, station construction, hardscaping, landscaping, air gates, etc., are all added costs factored into the total price of the ride.
Last edited by Magnum PA on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:10 pm.
This is where I brag about how many roller coasters I've ridden because it shows how much I know about them.
This is where I list the number of steel coasters I've ridden, which is inflated with kiddie coasters, so that my count looks higher.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby vacoaster09 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48 am

There is NO WAY Skyrush cost under 10 million...
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:54 am

I'd have to agree that the landscaping and such would cost more than the ride itself. Hersheypark has been doing so much more than just plopping a ride on nearly-flat ground like Kings Dominion did with Intimidator 305.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby delusions » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:55 am

Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build, so I'm assuming SkyRush is costing them a lot more than that. Definitely not under 10 million, haha.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby alpengeistfan1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 pm

delusions wrote:Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build, so I'm assuming SkyRush is costing them a lot more than that. Definitely not under 10 million, haha.

Well if we're going to take 13 million of off Skyrush's price then we would take some money off of Farenheit's as well.
"Thanks cows, I appreciate your tastiness."
- Craig Ferguson

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Thom25 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:48 pm

I think you're half right Magnum PA. Since Hershey doesn't take possession of the ride until it passes state inspection, I suspect the full amount did go through Intamin's hands, but as you noted a significant portion of the cost goes to the subcontractors. There has to be one construction manager over seeing the entire project, and suspect that is all managed by Intamin with Hershey's engineers overseeing the process.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:50 pm

delusions wrote:Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build, so I'm assuming SkyRush is costing them a lot more than that. Definitely not under 10 million, haha.

You claim Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build. He's not saying SkyRush cost 10 million to build, he saying that design and track fabrication alone was in the ballpark of 10 million, and the rest of the cost went to other things like transportation, excavation, construction, landscape and hardscape design, etc. Don't forget all the costs for mid-air excavation and plumbing! I have no knowledge of what these things actually cost, but let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples before you start "haha"ing people.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby KC_Engineer » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Are people really arguing about this? Unless you are the ones writing the checks for Hershey, why is it such a big deal?

Moving on... anyone know when test runs may begin now that the track circuit is complete?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!