TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Hersheypark, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Hersheypark Website

Below are some links to past announcements and updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

October, 2005 - Reese's Extreme Challenge shooting dark ride announced - SEE BELOW!

November 23, 2005 - Waterpark plans approved, will be inside existing park

January 2nd, 2006 - Chocolate World to be closed for 3 month renovation

July 1st, 2008 - Boardwalk Expansion The SEAquel! announced.

Feb. 20th, 2009 - SEAquel Construction Update.

Jan. 8th, 2010 - Springtime in the park announcement & Hersheypark now on Google Maps Streetview!

Jan. 15th, 2010 - Create Your Own Candy Bar coming to Chocolate World!

Feb. 26th, 2010 - Sweet savings for the month of March

March 17th, 2010 - Springtime in the Park update

June 7th, 2010 - Amusement Ride Safety Week at Hersheypark

June 11th, 2010 - 'Create Your Own Candy Bar' set to open on June 12th!

August 31st, 2010 - Hersheypark announces holiday activities!

August 2nd, 2011 - Skyrush hybrid wingrider mega/hyper Intamin announced!

September 15th, 2011 - Hersheypark officially reopening on September 17th!

November 2nd, 2011 - US found ZooAmerica Reacted Appropriately to Bison Situation

November 2nd, 2011 - New Skyrush concept art posted!

December 14th, 2011 - Skyrush construction now taller than Comet!

December 15th, 2011 - Hershey elects new Board Chairman, announces CEO succession plan

January 12th, 2012 - Skyrush construction update

January 30th, 2012 - Skyrush animation contest announced!

January 31st, 2012 - Skyrush lift hill topped off!

February 16th, 2012 - Hersheypark launches Facebook Skyrush campaign

February 18th, 2012 - Springtime in the Park rides announced

March 25th, 2012 - SkyRush trackwork is complete

April 3rd, 2012 - Hersheypark launches Fast Track Pass service

April 24th, 2012 - Two new Skyrush photos courtesy of Hersheypark

May 23rd, 2012 - SkyRush Media Day coverage

July 6th, 2012 - Fire damages historic Hersheypark Arena

August 20th, 2012 - Roller Soaker listed for sale

November 26th, 2012 - William F. Simpson Jr. named Hersheypark Entertainment's new CEO

December 18th, 2012 - Roller Soaker removal confirmed!

December 19th, 2012 - Roller Soaker to be replaced with "sprayground" area

March 11th, 2013 - Summer savings deals released!

May 15th, 2013 - Summer entertainment lineup revealed!

December 16th, 2013 - New rides announced for 2014, including a family coaster

May 1st, 2014 - Park looks to and 31 acres in 2015

August 12th, 2014 - Hersheypark Announces "Laff Trakk" for 2015

December 11th, 2014 - Zoo America population grows by 11

August 2nd, 2016 - Hershey Triple Tower announced

August 8th, 2017 - The Breakers Edge Water Coaster and Whitecap Racer will debut in 2018!

December 21st, 2017 - New Breakers Edge Water Coaster construction photos

July 12th, 2018 - Hersheypark teasing 2019 addition! Announcement on August 2nd, 2018!

August 3rd, 2018 - Reeses Cupfusion shooting dark ride announced

October 3rd, 2018 - Chocolatetown & New Roller Coaster for 2020!

November 2nd, 2018 - "Christmas In Hershey" 2018 offerings announced!

February 22nd, 2022 - Jolly Rancher Remix (rethemed Sidewinder coaster) & Mix'd family ride to debut this summer

November 2nd, 2022 - Wildcat's Revenge announced!

May 19th, 2023 - Wildcat's Revenge to open on June 2nd!

Reese’s Xtreme Cup Challenge

It’s time to settle the score once and for all! We’re calling all REESE'S lovers to HERSHEYPARK in 2006 to compete in head-to-head, multi-sensory laser competition!

REESE'S XTREME CUP CHALLENGE is the first interactive dark ride to pit car against car in a high-energy score-fest that is unequalled anywhere in the world. Two vehicles with competing teams travel through a series of exciting competition zones featuring REESE'S-branded extreme sports events.

Hang onto your laser blasters and take aim at the targets as you swoop, climb, and dip through the action. Accumulate as many points for your team as you can – the winning car will be declared at the end of the challenge, and a sweet reward awaits all who play!

Ride it, Smell it, Play it, Taste it, Win it!

REESE'S XTREME CUP CHALLENGE - ONLY AT HERSHEYPARK!

Reese’s Xtreme Cup Challenge Fact Sheet

Ride Manufacturer: Sally Corporation, Jacksonville, FL

Ride System Supplier: EOS Rides, Italy

Ride Description: Competing teams score points shooting targets throughout the ride to determine the answer to the age-old question, "Is it the chocolate or peanut butter that makes REESE'S so irresistible?”

Features: - Two linked vehicles per train with eight passengers per train

- Vehicles rotate independently

- Onboard laser blaster system with individual score panels

- Ride pre-show

- Team score updates at Take 5 Halftime Reports

Interactive Sports Events: - 8 competition zones or interactive scenes

- Some zones include more than one sport

Sports Represented: - BMX biking

- Drag racing

- Ice hockey

- In-line skating

- Mountain climbing

- Skateboarding

- Skydiving

- Snowboarding

- Spelunking

- Surfing

REESE'S Brands Represented: 6, including REESE'S Peanut Butter Cup and REESE'S Pieces

Elements: - 158 targets

- 80 animated show elements

- 8 animatronic figures

- Special effects

- Sensory elements

Theoretical Capacity: 800 riders per hour

Approximate Ride Time: 2 minutes, 45 seconds

There is a "Video Tour" if you follow this link:

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/he ... index.html

hershey.jpg.94162bc7da169b3541ced55267a71f8a.jpg

Dave will be very happy!

This is close enough to my guess of a "shooting other brands candy dark ride" so I'm happy too!

Sounds like a new Sally design? Different than the old school ones and the Tut one at Walibi Belgium.

Should be cool!

Well, it couldve been worse! Actually I think its a pretty cool idea and it will definately be a hugeeee hit at Hersheypark. I like the Reeses theme way better than a Nascar one, and there is a ton of cool things they could pull off with all the sports they are representing. I'm wondering what the "video tour" is all about, havent been able to click on it yet.

Eric

On the chocolate tour you can smell chocolate. Maybe they are going to use the same "crockpot of chocolate with fan blowing" effect? It'd be cool if they incorporated smell though somehow. Doesnt have to be chocolate, could be more like a pine if your snowboarding or whatever. Anyone see the "video tour" yet?

Edit: I just watched the tour. Looks like too many cardboard cutouts for my taste. I'd rather shoot up It's a Small World

Eric

Very neat... sounds like there will be some actual ride motion, other than the same speed, blah, flat forwards direction. And the winning team will probably get some free candy.

"Hang onto your laser blasters and take aim at the targets as you swoop, climb, and dip through the action. Accumulate as many points for your team as you can – the winning car will be declared at the end of the challenge, and a sweet reward awaits all who play! "

One problem: the 800 pph capacity.

One problem: the 800 pph capacity.

Why is that a problem? Outside of Disney and Universal, I can't think of too many dark rides that come anywhere near 800 pph. Think about the average Sally Dark Ride with two or four passenger individual cars on one track (i.e. SFFT, LC). They have capacity in the 250-400 range, which results in dreadful wait times.

Hershey's ride will probably pull 45-60 min max on most days, which is about the max wait time you'll find for Storm Runner (also about 800 pph).

Plus, we're talking about Hershey here, so they will squeeze every drop of capacity they can out of the thing by having both tracks and as many cars running as possible.

-Mark

I'm really glad Hershey decided to get a dark ride, and I'm very happy that it isn't Nascar themed, but yeah, I agree the whole story seems kinda weird. When I think about playing sports, I usually don't think about shooting people and then eating candy. Still, it could be amusing, kinda like how when I ride Soarin' I pretend to kick people in the head. It makes the ride somewhat fun, I guess. If nothing else, you get free candy at the end, which is always a plus!

^Now if they came up with a ride themed around the '70's Music Explosion, THAT would be a ride!!! "Take that, England Dan & John Ford Coley" BLAM!

I have no idea what to make of this Hershey ride, as the whole concept doesn't seem to make sense. Then again, it probably makes about as much sense as Dinosaur, so it might be fun. At least there is shooting involved...

dt