Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 976 - Chocolatetown & New Roller Coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: Google Adsense [Bot] and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby freejaffa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 am

Do we know if they are planning on just expanding the current park or might they build a second gate? It just seems like the current park can only get so large before the ticket prices to operate gets out of balance with the market. Several (not all) of the bigger parks in the industry have gotten around this cost issue by making sure their waterparks are seperate gates. Cedar Point, Dollywood, Busch Gardens, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags Great Adventure. Hershey Park has that extra 'gate' (plus the zoo) included in the current ticket price which might restrict their ability to absorb this large of an expansion under their current pricing system.

michaellynn4 wrote: The main issue to the "added gate" argument for the water park is that its already completely surrounded by the amusement park itself. I don't really see how they'd accommodate that even if they were to consider that an option.

I think you could kill three birds with one stone by:

1. Move the zoo to the west.
2. Move the Wild Mouse and Boomerang to the new zoo in the west.
3. Market the new gate as the “Hershey’s Wild American adventure” zoo/park.
4. Without the Wild Mouse and Boomerang in the way you could expand the water park.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am

You guys speak about moving the zoo as if it's as easy as right-clicking it and dragging it to a new location like in Roller Coaster Tycoon. I highly doubt the park is going to invest the capital into moving something as large and complex as a zoo when they could just build new attractions on top of the land to which people are proposing the zoo moves.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:25 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:You guys speak about moving the zoo as if it's as easy as right-clicking it and dragging it to a new location like in Roller Coaster Tycoon. I highly doubt the park is going to invest the capital into moving something as large and complex as a zoo when they could just build new attractions on top of the land to which people are proposing the zoo moves.

See? I won't have to put this post in my "most short-sighted" archive because it actually makes sense!

However, Hersheypark does appear to be in a bit of a pickle in regards to its expansion, but it at least appears as though they have it handled. Ever since they put in The Boardwalk, the layout has just been completely screwed up. A very small part of me has always thought that they would relocate pretty much everything in Midway America to that new area (and removing Wildcat) but that was before Laff Trakk.

As much of a masterpiece as Lightning Racer is, Midway America is a terrible dead end. If you were to gate off the entrances to The Boardwalk, I can't help but feel like it would get worse. You'd also have to reconfigure the entrance / exit to the Ferris Wheel and a bunch of restrooms and dining locations. Plus you'd have to redirect guests onto a brand new pathway that goes over or under the existing park if they wanted to do a waterpark-only ticket, and that quite frankly sounds absurd just writing it in this post! Though, that would end up sounding a little less absurd if they were to construct this new / replacement park entrance where The Claw currently stands.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby freejaffa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:28 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:You guys speak about moving the zoo as if it's as easy as right-clicking it and dragging it to a new location like in Roller Coaster Tycoon. I highly doubt the park is going to invest the capital into moving something as large and complex as a zoo when they could just build new attractions on top of the land to which people are proposing the zoo moves.

To be clear I think there’s a 10-30% chance it happens, but If I was suddenly able to alicate capital expenditures over the next 15 to 20 years that is the direction I would go.

I also want to make some Wild prediction that I believe to be most probable.

I do make one defense in that what ever they are building it is going to be something that will unfold over a long time and my earlier comment should be looked at as something that would unfold over ~15 years.

Thank you for the pointing to weaknesses in my statement.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ragerunner1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:The main issue to the "added gate" argument for the water park is that its already completely surrounded by the amusement park itself. I don't really see how they'd accommodate that even if they were to consider that an option.

Sorry, I explained myself poorly. I wasn't recommending they second gate the water park. I was just trying to point out that since the water park is included in their current ticket prices and many of their counterparts don't include their water parks. It might be putting pressure on Hershey's pricing structure.

Example:
Hershey charges $1 to get in and it includes 15 rollercoasters, 40 rides, a water park and zoo. (Lots of operational and investment costs.)
Cedar Point/Busch Gardens/Park X charges $1 to get in and it includes 15 rollercoaster and 40 rides. They then charge another $1 for their water park.

For the same similar product Hershey makes a $1. Park X makes $2.

It might be more financially sustainable to build a second gated park and charge another $1 to get in, instead of diluting their current $1 even more.

Just curious. Not saying it will happen.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:19 pm

A.J. wrote:See? I won't have to put this post in my "most short-sighted" archive because it actually makes sense!

I wonder how many of my other posts made your "most short-sighted" archive! :lol:

A.J. wrote:However, Hersheypark does appear to be in a bit of a pickle in regards to its expansion, but it at least appears as though they have it handled. Ever since they put in The Boardwalk, the layout has just been completely screwed up. A very small part of me has always thought that they would relocate pretty much everything in Midway America to that new area (and removing Wildcat) but that was before Laff Trakk.

Oh I absolutely agree with you. As much as I love the park, their additions and expansions over the years have, quite literally, really boxed them in.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:03 pm

coasterbill wrote:
njcoasterguy34 wrote:the moment it starts getting a little bit rough.

We're talking about Wildcat right? That thing's been garbage for like 20 years.

Wildcat was my #2 wooden coaster before they put MilFlyers on it...
Original Maverick '99

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Unfortunately Hershey has always had a space issue due to the bizarre layout of the park. What once worked in it's early days isn't enough anymore. Yes Midway America is a deadline end but one can argue that when Pioneer Frontier and what is now the Boardwalk was added that too was the beginning of the dead end area.

They are never going to move the zoo, they may someday expand towards the factory buildings which actually was discussed and even had plans drawn up for it but they will not move an entire 11 acre zoo. It's not feasible and would take forever too do. If they don't expand in the old golf course area, they really should consider scrapping the Stadium and utilize that area to possibly bring the park full circle from Midway America.

I know concerts bring lots of money and crowds but they could consider building a new more modern amphitheatre that could be built in a more scenic location. It most likely won't happen but it would be a good way to negate some of the dead end problem they have.

The other thing they never should have done was decide to build the water park right in the middle of the regular park. Now when they want to expand they will have to remove other rides to accommodate. How many times have people speculated that Today Force was on it's way out for more water park?
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:132
STEEL:101
WOOD:31
PARKS:25

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:51 am

CNYCoasterguy11 wrote:Unfortunately Hershey has always had a space issue due to the bizarre layout of the park. What once worked in it's early days isn't enough anymore. Yes Midway America is a deadline end but one can argue that when Pioneer Frontier and what is now the Boardwalk was added that too was the beginning of the dead end area.

They are never going to move the zoo, they may someday expand towards the factory buildings which actually was discussed and even had plans drawn up for it but they will not move an entire 11 acre zoo. It's not feasible and would take forever too do. If they don't expand in the old golf course area, they really should consider scrapping the Stadium and utilize that area to possibly bring the park full circle from Midway America.

I know concerts bring lots of money and crowds but they could consider building a new more modern amphitheatre that could be built in a more scenic location. It most likely won't happen but it would be a good way to negate some of the dead end problem they have.

The other thing they never should have done was decide to build the water park right in the middle of the regular park. Now when they want to expand they will have to remove other rides to accommodate. How many times have people speculated that Today Force was on it's way out for more water park?

Totally agree with everything here. I always thought they could build another amphitheater somewhere else on their grounds and finally make the back of the pack connect to the front.

I kinda wish the water park was at another location - so its a pay own way one like Six Flags New Jersey. They lost a lot of room building all of that. I am sure Sidewinder will come out eventually make room for water rides. Same goes for Tidal Force.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby hoppedup » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Preview is an awesome feature! We had a little trouble getting in and were able to get:

Comet
Skyrush
Superdooperlooper
Great Bear
Trailblazer
Storm Runner
Fahrenheit x 2
Wildcat
Laff Trakk
Lightning Racer

We got the last ride of the night on LR. Most everything was a walk-on or station wait. Laff Trakk was only real wait at about 20 minutes. Fun, but one and done.

Wildcat should be burned to the ground. Truly awful.

Looking forward to re-rides on many of the others tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!