Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 953: Hersheypark teasing 2019 addition!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am

chickenbowl wrote:
boldikus wrote:I guess I just have meaty thighs cause the lapbars don't personally bother me unless I've ridden it a few times in a row (Toro does this too).

That brings up a good point that I've thought for a while. I find it strange that El Toro gets universally praised by enthusiasts while Skyrush has such mixed reception. Both rides have similarly restrictive lap restraints and similar aggressive airtime. Why hate on Skyrush but not El Toro?

I personally don't find either to be remarkably uncomfortable, but I needed to point out the hypocrisy in our community.

Also, I have never felt a rattle on Skyrush...

For me at least, Toro's restraints are perfect. I could re-ride it all day and have never found them uncomfortable in any way. Skyrush's restraints put pressure in a totally different spot and (in my opinion) completely suck. I still like the ride, so they don't ruin the experience for me but I don't think they're comparable to Toro.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby MisterBrow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 am

I have ridden both with issues with the restraints ratcheting down during the ride and then other times with no issue at all getting to enjoy them both to the fullest.

Sky Rush does give that bit of HOLY COW I'm going to get launched off into the sky and I am thankful that the restraint clicks down to the next tightest position, it is a rush. On El Toro when the bar clicks into the next tighter position, as stated here your feet and legs are set in place, and it is uncomfortable. It is the classic this belt loop hole doesn't keep my pants up and the next is too tight- some people are odd (meaning in between) sizes.

Both are in my top ten. I place El Toro higher on my list because it is a wooden coaster making it more unique in what it does.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby pryonisys » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:31 am

After finally getting on Skyrush this year I must say I didn't personally have a bad time with their restraints, but I completely understand anyone who does. They are tight, but with the ride doing what it does it at least keeps people from flying out.
So for me they weren't really comfortable but I've experienced worse restraints.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:23 am

New clue.

hershey.jpg

We're adding some more water to the boardwalk?

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby VegasBaby » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:05 am

boldikus wrote:New clue.

We're adding some more water to the boardwalk?

Yep, it definitely looks like an addition to the water park. The park could really use another slide tower as there are currently only six slides and the lines get pretty long. I'd love to see them install a tower similar to what Cedar Fair has been putting in their parks with multiple drop capsule slides and a couple of tube slides.
Slides.jpg
This tower was installed at Knott's and Cedar Point this year
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Fu11 Throttle
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:41 pm

Invertalon wrote:I finally got on SkyRush this past weekend... I had relatively low expectations going into it, based on what friends who share similar views on most coasters had mentioned... Even with those low standards, it didn't even reach that point. I was excited to get on with no real wait and thought I would like it more than my friends... However...

I really did not like the ride at all.

The layout was fine, I suppose... Nothing spectacular. Also, the mad-ejector airtime doesn't do much for me, unlike most enthusiasts... Let alone the terrible vibration in two different seats tried (front and back) and the painful lapbar. The last airtime hill literally felt like my femur would be broken.

Even with the 5min wait, it wasn't worth more rides and have no desire to really ride it again. I am not trying to "stir the pot" with this review, just share my honest thoughts... I typically try to find the good in anything I ride, but this really is an exception. The view was nice, at least!

I really want to go to Hershey next year or so, but being a smoothness B&M hyper fan, I fear I won't enjoy Skyrush. Even Storm Chaser at KK was a little too intense for many rerides.

Postby boldikus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:01 am

^ You should absolutely still go to Hershey because even without Skyrush, the park is AWESOME and the rest of the coaster lineup is rock solid (save for Wildcat, which isn't a bad as whiney enthusiasts make it out to be). Not to mention, Skyrush is the polarizing type of experience that you really should try and decide for yourself. There is a 50/50 chance you will love it or hate it, but you should form your own opinion. Don't base your opinion off that one review because while he's not alone in hating the thing, you can see a lot of us defending it. I get why people hate it, but I love it for its intensity and unique experience of near-death-by-airtime.

But yeah if B&M hyper floater air is what you are looking for, that's not what Skyrush is gonna give you. Imagine riding a giant robotic steel bull that is actively trying to launch you off its back with enough power to send you 250 feet up (if of course, you didn't have that pesky lapbar holding you down). The POVs (and even offride footage) do not do it justice, they often make the ride look slow and meandering but when you're actually on its anything but.

Try to find a backseat POV on Youtube (they exist but I'm never certain whose videos its not ok to link to here). Those videos do a better job of showing off what the riders bodies are doing during the ride (hair flying up, upper bodies thrown around, etc).

Even if you ride Skyrush once and hate it, the rest of Hersheypark is awesome. Just go on a cloudy or autumn day because their fast pass is a joke.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:32 am

Skyrush is extremely intense, but it's still a smooth ride. If you don't want to jump right into the deep end, definitely try Skyrush towards the front in a non-wing seat. The back wing seats are easily the most intense seats on Skyrush and I can't think of a more intense coaster experience. It's still the only ride I can't keep my hands up for.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Parque Espana & Legoland Japan

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:05 am

If they are adding on to the waterpark which seems like a definite based on the hints they are dropping, then they should really consider a large family raft ride as well as some body slides. They theoretically could add all sorts of slides that they don't currently have. They are for the most part covered when it comes to tube slides.

But they could add a racing slide or a speed slide/body slides, but the raft slide would be a good fit since it is a family first type park and there are not many slides that smaller kids can ride outside of some in the big play structure. Unfortunately it also means they will probably remove Tidal Force unless they are expanding behind the wave pool area.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:125
STEEL:96
WOOD:29
PARKS:25

Postby boldikus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 am

Apparently Roller Soakers station is still standing and there are markers all around it. I wonder if the plan is to use that and remove Tidal Wave to open up that stretch of land since its directly adjacent to the RS station. I could see them getting a water coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!