SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 608: Craft Beer Festival & Jack Hanna Weekend report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:09 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:I'd like to believe that the leadership of this company (especially knowing that their current leader is interim CEO) would not make a move as stupid in the long run as allowing Six Flags to buy the SeaWorld parks... Despite the last few years not being high points in the company's history, they have still maintained a level of quality in their theming and animal care efforts that Six Flags simply can't replicate in their own parks. Their culture isn't overly compatible with the Central Florida market either... Guests traveling to Orlando expect more for their money that just roller coasters and flat rides. The only place that has found success with such a model is Fun Spot, and they have done so by being the budget option for guests not looking to spend Disney/Universal prices.

But if guests traveling to Orlando already have their $7/month pass from Six Flags...a built in market is already created. Six Flags would fit in perfectly with the "I-Drive" crowd.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MiABeta » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 pm

I've never wanted a rumor to be false to this extent before. Having had years and years of absolutely amazing trips to SWO and only having fairly lack luster trips to SF parks (Although I am used to CF if that helps), I would hate to see this happen. If it does I wouldn't want to be an alarmist as I would hope they would keep enough SW and BG staff around to keep the park's experience the same, I feel SF would make more poor decisions in the long run about the animals, and could harm the animals getting even better habitats than what Blackfish has already ruined (What ever happened to the larger tanks and realistic habitats anyway? Can't even remember the name of it).
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengance, Maverick, Millenium Force, Kraken, Montu
Top 5 Wood: Shivering Timbers, Blue Streak, Zach's Zoomer, Mean Streak, Wolverine Wildcat
Mean Streak: Never Forget - But Steel Vengeance might've stolen my heart.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Jew wrote:
jedimaster1227 wrote:I'd like to believe that the leadership of this company (especially knowing that their current leader is interim CEO) would not make a move as stupid in the long run as allowing Six Flags to buy the SeaWorld parks... Despite the last few years not being high points in the company's history, they have still maintained a level of quality in their theming and animal care efforts that Six Flags simply can't replicate in their own parks. Their culture isn't overly compatible with the Central Florida market either... Guests traveling to Orlando expect more for their money that just roller coasters and flat rides. The only place that has found success with such a model is Fun Spot, and they have done so by being the budget option for guests not looking to spend Disney/Universal prices.

But if guests traveling to Orlando already have their $7/month pass from Six Flags...a built in market is already created. Six Flags would fit in perfectly with the "I-Drive" crowd.

I totally agree.
Last edited by jray21 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:30 pm.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby MindbenderManiac » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:02 am

I am very opposed to the Six Flags SEAS buyout rumor. I have always been a fan of all of the SEAS parks, and if there is a park other than Dollywood or SDC I would rather spend my day at in the US, it's a SEAS park. I am impressed with the hard work they have done over the past several years in their post Blackfish climate. Finally seeing them begin to turn things around is very rewarding to me. When you visit a SEAS park, you are given an impression that this corporation is actually out to benefit the greater good of our society, not just to make money. Yes, there is criticism of animals being contained and not being able to live in their natural habitats etc. But the education the parks promote to the general public I feel benefits all the animals that do live in the wild. Educating the public about all of their species is of great benefit to the species well being in the wild. I love how they are re-imagining these animal habitats. Not to mention all of the animal rescue efforts they have beefed up in recent years. The SEAS parks have immersive world class attractions. They are unique to the collection of US parks - more European park like in their imaginative attractions.

When I enter a Six Flags anywhere in the country I see so much similarity. Not to mention that in the Six Flags parks, it is obvious the chain is concerned more about money making than guest experience. I was so disappointed in Discovery Kingdom, seeing that park last October was a complete letdown. Talking about dilapidated animal habitats, and seeming like they are not concerned for animal welfare. I really hope that Six Flags would concentrate and what they have, much like the SEAS parks have, rather than gobbling up these unique parks.

You're going to need a bigger Donkey

Postby Diamondbacker27 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:25 am

MiABeta wrote:(What ever happened to the larger tanks and realistic habitats anyway? Can't even remember the name of it).

I believe it was called Blue World, or something along those lines. Plans were canceled after Seaworld announced they would stop breeding their orcas.
Wood-22
Steel- 84
Total- 106

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!