California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg 1066 - Patriot Media Day Report w/ POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby rolercstrluvr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Angry_Gumball wrote:Spinning wheel enthusiasts, here you go!

Ok, now I have to try this a few times at least. Must get to the front of the line. :b :br :b :br
Gold Striker Ride count: 390

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Another fun day at CGA (Wow, I've been there like...every weekend since GS has opened!). Group consisted of JeffyJosephNorcal, my neighbor, cousin, Blue Fire Guy, and myself. Crowds were moderate and Gold Striker had about an hour wait throughout the day. Definitely worth its wait in gold. So the new tunnel, what we all think of it? I personally don't mind it, love blasting downward though it at a higher speed. When you ride in the back, it immediately becomes an Oh sh** moment as it provides a great head/hand chopper effect. It definitely helps contain the screams too.

Notable highlights:
-After riding Gold Striker twice this morning, we ventured to FD which was a walk-on. Keep in mind, this was around 11:20.
-The wheel spinner was a hit among guests and many were winning front-of-the-line passes.
-My neighbor (who is now a TPR member) has been unable to ride coasters for the past 6 weeks as she did some damage to her coccyx on V2, trying to hop into the seat and missing her landing...today was her 'welcome back' visit and her first official ride since GS opened to the public.
-Checked out On Broadway again, a pretty enjoyable show!
-Don't know what possessed us, but we decided to ride Vortex in the back row, with head firmly planted against rest...hello ear smashing! I usually extend my neck forward to get a decent ride but today, we were deciding to be masochists and punish ourselves.
-A lot of issues with the GS queue were addressed. I'm glad the park decided to go with heavier grade metal fencing where it got severely damaged. Now let's see some idiots try bending the wires...they'll end up hurting their hands before the wire even comes close to thinking of bending :)
-Spotted some Haunt maze construction (see pix)
-Lastly, final ride on GS...came to be quite brutal. TPR member Blue Fire Guy and I were riding with 1 arm up and the other holding lap bar to prevent becoming heavily stapled. I was sitting on the right side. We both had right arms up and on the double up before one of the final turns, BFG accidentally elbow punches me full force in the cheek...ouch! This is just a reminder how crazy this coaster can be. I'm fine now but it completely caught both of us off guard.
IMG_5449.jpg
CGA had their main entry plaza nicely decorated for Independence Day Weekend.
IMG_5469.jpg
Upon entering the GS queue, we noticed something different...something I will call "New Canvas" as...you guessed it, more graffiti! Thankfully, there's a camera near by to hopefully fend off/catch these pesky vandals.
IMG_5450.jpg
And...new higher strength metal fencing! Yes, highly durable, a good long-run investment!
IMG_5462.jpg
(Already posted above) this game was a huge hit today.
IMG_5463.jpg
Crews were running extremely efficient ;)
IMG_5470.jpg
:)
IMG_5458.jpg
And (already posted a few pages ago via XYZ, thanks for the pix), new tunnel! Sweet effect coming down!
IMG_5467.jpg
Backside view of tunnel...this should keep the neighbors more than satisfied, as well as keep everything within the agreement!
IMG_5461.jpg
Ooh...what's this? New maze construction! I did see an element of Club Blood...it was used in the On Broadway show :)
IMG_5477.jpg
Video game nerds will be video game nerds..."MY POKEYMANS....LET ME SHOW YOU DEM!" (thanks for the pic, Jeff :) )
IMG_5452.jpg
After 6 weeks of no coasters (only a single ride on GG's lapbar monorail) my neighbor/now TPR member is back on line and ready to ride!
IMG_5480.jpg
And I'll conclude this mini TR with a ghetto "picture of a picture" (that I purchased) of our onride photo, now that my neighbor's back in the groove!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 am

Vortex was actually running pretty smooth today.

Vortex smooth? I will never believe it!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby laqueefa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:57 am

jray21 wrote:

Yeah, I call shenanigans!
Tigga, please!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:06 am

The wheel is a brilliant idea: $2 to either win a front of line pass that costs the park nothing, or discounts that encourage guests to spend in the park!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:40 am

laqueefa wrote:
jray21 wrote:

Yeah, I call shenanigans!

Yeah me too, ULTRA shenanigans!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Jew wrote:The wheel is a brilliant idea: $2 to either win a front of line pass that costs the park nothing, or discounts that encourage guests to spend in the park!

40% chance of getting a front of line pass. Doesn't mean much if it is just for one and you are with a group.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby rcdude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Jew wrote:The wheel is a brilliant idea: $2 to either win a front of line pass that costs the park nothing, or discounts that encourage guests to spend in the park!

Totally agree. I don't usually play carnival games, but as this is a guaranteed win and it's a prize I would most likely use I might have to give it a spin or two when I visit next week.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, Maverick, Banshee
Top 5 Wood: Boulder Dash, El Toro, Thunderhead, Gold Striker, Lightning Racer
Top 3 Parks: Holiday World, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Cedar Point
TPR Trips: IntimidaTour 2010, North East Trip 2011, LeviaTHON 2012, Mini Tours 2014 (New Hotness & East Coast)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby JeffyJosephNorCal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Had another great time with the gang yesterday! Got to ride Goldy 6 times. Was happy to see the new sturdier wire fencing replacing the flimsy ones the jeeps destroyed in the queue line. The $3 Spin Wheel was a big hit, as most of the people I saw kept winning the front of the line passes which everyone kept using for Gold Striker as the Fast Lane Line was all the way down the stairs practically the whole day. And Vortex smooth yesterday? Tell that to my head! :p :vekoma:

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Blue Fire Guy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:28 pm

Yesterday was a blast! Clench-n-squish Logger's ride, lots of Goldy action, and just overall lots of fun. Goldy was running a little sluggish in the morning but got faster as things warmed up. Train B (peanut butter) was running slightly slower than Train A (red) throughout the day, and on the turnaround after the double up I could briefly hear the guide wheels screeching...looks like she might need a little lube! :)

Vortex? Smooth? Sometimes it is...early in the season it was ok, but today it was utter Ship High In Transit. We also decided to be complete idiots and ride with our heads against the headrest instead of being defensive and tilting them forward out of range of headbanging. Rough as hell, Vortex tried to kill us! :vekoma:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!