California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby LiftThrill » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Sven20 wrote:Okay. I'm at SFFT it's a shot show. Broke down constantly yesterday. Today broke after 1 cycle to start day. Got back in line after first ride broke down again. Then they went to 1 train ops and that train had only 7 working seats. Of course with no srl and ops without enough iniative pull people and call out empty seats trains were going out with 5 or 6 all the time. SF parks don't have the ops to handle a ride like this.

Wonder Woman has never NOT broken down exactly once when I've been in line for it, but it's also never taken more than 10 minutes to come back up.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Railblazer seemed to be very reliable the one day I was there a few weeks ago. Aside from a late opening where we couldn't ride until 11am (which really isn't a big issue), I don't recall it ever breaking down the entire day.

Also, despite running two trains (which I feel will be the usual), the ride really pulls through its line more than I expected it too. Every train went out with 8 riders, and there was absolutely zero stacking the vast majority of the time. Still not a "high capacity coaster" by any means, but I think this type of ride would work fine at most amusement parks that have good operations and manageable crowds.

Also, I saw on Instagram that the black/green train is now in operation. I'm not sure if it got switched out with the red or yellow one, or if they're running three trains now, but it's back.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby jonskinny12 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Also, despite running two trains (which I feel will be the usual), the ride really pulls through its line more than I expected it too. Every train went out with 8 riders, and there was absolutely zero stacking the vast majority of the time. Still not a "high capacity coaster" by any means, but I think this type of ride would work fine at most amusement parks that have good operations and manageable crowds.

I don't know how things were when you were there but I didn't feel like a third train would have made much difference at all. It was rarely stacking but I think I only saw once or twice where a train dispatched before the other one was hitting the brake run.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 am

jonskinny12 wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:Also, despite running two trains (which I feel will be the usual), the ride really pulls through its line more than I expected it too. Every train went out with 8 riders, and there was absolutely zero stacking the vast majority of the time. Still not a "high capacity coaster" by any means, but I think this type of ride would work fine at most amusement parks that have good operations and manageable crowds.

I don't know how things were when you were there but I didn't feel like a third train would have made much difference at all. It was rarely stacking but I think I only saw once or twice where a train dispatched before the other one was hitting the brake run.

Yeah, it is usually very difficult to make three trains efficient on any coaster that doesn't have a MCBR or a freakishly tall lift hill (Fury and Leviathan). That's why I said two trains works out just fine and wouldn't be much of a problem for most medium-sized parks. They would have to be SUPER fast and have the lift hill go very slowly along with a continuous loading station to make three trains worth it (see: Wonder Woman).
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby Superbatboy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Just got a couple of rides on Railblazer, very fun and forceful ride. Kinda beats you up a little, in a good way
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby IronWolfman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:59 am

Haven't done a trip report in a while, and finally gathered the motivation to talk about my trip to CGA on August 5th.

I'd never been to California before going out to visit family earlier this month, and had an amazing time. Though I hoped to visit CGA while I was there, I didn't expect that we would, as it hadn't been brought up much prior. It was very exciting finding out that my family would be cool with going to the park, as I haven't been to a new park since I first went to Lakeside here in CO (back in 2015 I think :| ). I'll also note that I've been to SFGAm, so it interesting to see the other "Great America".

THE PARK ITSELF

I was genuinely pleased with the park's appearance as I'd heard from many people that it would be a little sketchy. No such vibe was found, as the park was clean and had few areas or buildings with any sort of "run down" look. It wasn't super crowded, but enough that after riding the coasters with shorter lines, we decided to buy Fastlane for the remaining rides. Staff were mostly friendly and operations were a miracle in comparison to Elitches. The landscaping was great and I think the park looked very well put together. The layout of the park was a lot smaller than I imagined (I guess I thought it'd be closer to SFGAm's size), but was a convenient loop. Food wasn't amazing, but better than what I'd get for the same price at Elitches, and was sufficient. The workers at the American Cafe gave my family member some
difficulty regarding their veggie burger to the point where they got it refunded, but other food staff were pretty kind and quick. Another grip would be not getting to pick your row on most coasters, but I see why it worked for station crowding/capacity. Overall the park had a really nice, relaxed atmosphere and I had a really good time.

COASTERS

Gold Striker (x2):
We rode this coaster first, and it was another genuine surprise. It was my first GCI, and a lot more out of control than expected. I didn't think it'd be tame or mild, but I also didn't think it would become my favorite wooden coaster (surpassing Timber Terror & Tremors), or to be such an awesomely wild ride. I'd say it whooped my A$$ in a good way. My first ride was in row 4 I think, and the second was front row. Both were filled with crazy pops of ejector air, hard laterals, and had me all mixed up with the amount of direction changes. For those who've been on other GCI's, let me know if a lot of them are a similar experience, because that would definitely raise their priority on my want-to-ride list. 8/10

Patriot (x1):
This coaster was a mixed bag for me. Iron Wolf, this ride's sole B&M predecessor, was my favorite roller coaster back when I lived near SFGAm (hence my name). Patriot is similar but obviously is no longer a stand-up coaster. It was also my first floorless coaster experience. I was expecting a rough or rattle-y ride as many people had noted since the conversion (and prior), but found the ride to be completely smooth in my one ride in row 4. I did enjoy the bit of positive G's from the first drop into the loop, as well as the snappiness of the corkscrew. On the flip side, I thought the layout overall was lackluster and short, and didn't think the floorless aspect contributed as much to the experience as standing would have (though that may be to me not riding in the front row). Patriot to me is the perfect "average" or "meh" coaster. 5/10

Demon (x2):
As the only coaster at CGA that has a counter part at SFGAm, and also giving a kick to my Arrow nostalgia, I really enjoyed the Demon. I oddly found the roughest part to be the loops, which now makes me curious how Sidewinder's loop is so smooth. Definitely bumpy but not as bad as the nearby Grizzly or Elitches own Twister II or Mind Eraser. It was a classic with a fun drop, retro themeing, and hardcore SFGAm flashbacks. 6/10

Psycho Mouse (x1):
First proper modern wild mouse (only previously been on Mount Olympus' Opa or Lakeside's Wild Chipmunk), and a rarer Arrow one at that. Brakes were on a little bit with a few of the MCBR's but didn't really detract from the experience. All the turns had more laterals than I thought there would be, and the drops were sharp and fun. Definitely a perfect family coaster. 5/10

Flight Deck (x2):
We rode this after buying Fast Lane, as it'd been down all morning and the line was long after it reopened. This was my most highly anticipated coaster of the park, even with Railblazer, as I don't remember a lot of B:TR at SFGAm, haven't been on Aftershock since 2013, and have been subjected to a sub-par invert in Mind Eraser for the past 5 years. This was the only coaster where we got to choose our seat, and we got a solid back row & front row ride. People don't lie when they say this ride gets very intense, very quickly. The turn over the station is the only break you get, as the rest of the ride is crazy positive G's and two incredible snaps in the zero-g roll and corkscrew. Aside from the snaps, the ride is smooth as butter and lots of fun. It joins Patriot with being on the shorter side, but makes up for it with doing more and doing it better. Thought it was right alongside with Gold Striker as a really solid coaster. 8/10

Grizzly (x1):
This ride was on the disappointing side, but not outright awful. The layout is boring but kinda aesthetic, load times were abysmal but not much worse that Twister II, and definitely some pretty harsh jolts and consistent bumps but not unbearably rough. I did not expect great or terrible, and received neither. I think it is a great step up from kiddie rides to the more intense coasters. 4/10

Railblazer (x3):
We were a little worried that we would not get to ride this, as it had a 90+ minute line all morning and went down just before we bought the fast lane (we didn't know it when we bought the passes). It stayed closed most of the afternoon and fortunately we got a decent use out of our fast lane with the Flight Deck rides, our second Gold Striker ride, Grizzly, and our second ride on Demon. Around 9:15 (the park closed at 10) the coaster reopened with one train, and since we were at Demon we literally ran over. All I can say is WOW. First RMC did not disappoint. Every second is jam packed, and you go through every element so fast it doesn't look or feel real. The best airtime I've ever experienced, crazy positive G's, feeling the Zero-G throughout that whole roll, a killer transition going through the dive loop, everything about the ride was absolutely incredible. Fast crew with the one train, and cool themeing that added to the night rides. I really hope more of these Raptors pop up, as Railblazer is assuredly my favorite coaster thus far. 10/10

OTHER RIDES

Drop Tower (x1):
What surprised me the most here was this ride being a walk-on. Tower of Doom, another Intamin drop tower at Elitches, always has one of the more significant waits in the park, so being able to get on immediately was great. May have something to do with capacity, as this ride was running 5/6 sides with the sixth car sitting in its spot on the platform, while Tower of Doom runs 2/3 sides and the third car hasn't been on the ride in years.

Mass Effect: New Earth (x1):
Never been on one of these "4D" rides, but I really enjoyed it. The "host" was funny and didn't break character, and the actually effects were really interesting with a few surprises. I don't know if these always have the same program, but it'd be cool if they could switch up the routes/effects/something to not make it appear as a one-and-done.

Carousel Columbia (x1):
I never got to ride this ride's twin at SFGAm, so of course we had to ride it on the second deck. Was cool to be elevated like that on a carousel. The ride was running a dreadfully slow and short program but I don't think most kids would notice.

Orbit (x1):
Loved the Orbit at SFGAm, and was under the impression that CGA removed this ride (maybe because I believe SFGAm took out theirs). Was a very short cycle, got to fully inverted and then came back down, but very fun and the most dizzying experience of the day.

Tiki Twirl (x1):
Also never been on any of these "Disco" rides, and I actually really enjoyed it. It was odd to feel the spinning motion while facing outwards on the motorcycle-esque seats. Definitely a good (and popular) family ride.

Didn't ride anything else but I would like to try the Berserker next time I visit, hopefully next summer. May upload some pictures at some point, but I didn't get any very good shots. Hope you all enjoyed!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 am

^ Great report! Reading about it makes me a little bummed out that I missed out on visiting it a month ago. But on that note....

I'm floating the idea of driving back up to NorCal in about a month to visit this park and check out Haunt. I see this park typically charges for Haunt admission, but free Haunt admission is listed as a perk for 2019 Gold and Platinum Pass holders. Does this include Platinum Passes from other parks, or is this a perk solely offered for passes bought through CGA? I bought my Platinum Pass at KBF. Thanks!
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:52 am

joelwee wrote:^ Great report! Reading about it makes me a little bummed out that I missed out on visiting it a month ago. But on that note....

I'm floating the idea of driving back up to NorCal in about a month to visit this park and check out Haunt. I see this park typically charges for Haunt admission, but free Haunt admission is listed as a perk for 2019 Gold and Platinum Pass holders. Does this include Platinum Passes from other parks, or is this a perk solely offered for passes bought through CGA? I bought my Platinum Pass at KBF. Thanks!

Platinum is Platinum and works for CGA Haunt just like a Gold Pass would. I think KBF is the only CF park to charge a separate Haunt admission even for passholders.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm

^ Great, thank you!
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:34 pm

^^ great report ironwolfman! I missed out on flight deck due to my size and Railblazer wasn't open yet, but I did find it to be a great park. It will be exciting to see what the future holds.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!