California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby Manic Monte » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Personality, I'd be fine with a B&M hyper. They are fun, smooth, full of floaty air, great capacity, and still my favorite restraints of any other coaster type. The park already has an intense beast in Railblazer, so a B&M sounds great!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 pm

When Vortex was converted to Patriot, did they build a roof over the station?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:45 pm

no

Postby Vonni » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:47 pm

That's odd. I wonder why they didn't take the opportunity.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Vonni wrote:That's odd. I wonder why they didn't take the opportunity.

I don't think it's really needed. The portion of the queue you spend the most time in is already shaded. You're not up on the platform for very long.
They did recently paint the walls in the flight deck platform a grey color which is welcomed, as it doesnt radiate heat like an oven as much as the old bare wood walls did.
RailBlazer's queue is almost completely shaded.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:49 pm

singemfrc wrote:
Vonni wrote:That's odd. I wonder why they didn't take the opportunity.

I don't think it's really needed. The portion of the queue you spend the most time in is already shaded. You're not up on the platform for very long.
They did recently paint the walls in the flight deck platform a grey color which is welcomed, as it doesnt radiate heat like an oven as much as the old bare wood walls did.
RailBlazer's queue is almost completely shaded.

This was already covered in this thread a while back. It's a bigger process to add queue covering than just 'putting one up'. In order to do so, the park would need to apply to rezone some of the building + the cost of permits to go with it. And in some areas of the park, the surrounding buildings would need to be re-enforced to support the new covering.
Tigga, please!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby jonskinny12 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:42 am

singemfrc wrote:
jonskinny12 wrote:^ Nice report and pictures!

I'm heading to this park for the first time in about 20 years the first week of August and have a couple questions based on your report. Does Grizzly always open in the afternoon? And how was the Railblazer line throughout the day? I'm planning on getting to Railblazer first thing and assuming I love it like everyone else I'll get Fast Lane to ride it a bunch throughout the day. I mostly care about Railblazer and Gold Striker, since that will be new for me as well.

Yes, Grizzly always opens later than the rest of the park. The time it opens is different each day, but they always have the opening time posted in front of the entrance (see my photo) when the park opens. Dispatch times are TERRIBLE, like 5 minutes per train, so a station wait that would be like 5 minutes elsewhere can be over a half hour. So you definitely want to be first on it if you want the credit without waiting for it. The ride is not rough or negative in any way, it's just a flat line, it just doesn't really move the needle. The long dispatch times arent the crew's fault though, it has an absolutely ridiculous restraint system which just makes it take forever, there's not much they can do about it.

Definitely hit RailBlazer first because it will have the most consistently long line throughout the day, though it still wasn't crazy when I saw it. I checked back on it at about 2 in the afternoon and it looked to be maybe 45-60 minutes or so. The queue itself is not very long, based on that it seems like the park is counting on fairly efficient operations. FastLane was pretty much immediately load onto next train all day.

Gold Striker gets really busy in the beginning of the day because it's right in front of the park entrance and people go there early because they see it first. Wait until at least halfway through the day and it should be down to 15 minutes or so if it's not an especially busy day. It has gotten rather rough lately, I actually went straight from riding Gold Striker as my last ride at CGA over to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk where Giant Dipper was my first ride, and that 1924 coaster was a significantly smoother ride than Gold Striker.

Thank you for all of this info! Not sure I'll bother with Grizzly unless I happen to be near it when it opens. The ride looks pretty boring from what I can tell and dispatch times that slow can be so frustrating.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Visited the park tonight to get the two credits I didn’t have...

Railblazer is great. I actually think the inversions slow the pace down. Would love to see more airtime Hills in a future version, since the airtime is all ejector insane airtime! Only running one train.

Goldstriker is tracking a little rough, but is a fun twister layout. Hope they take care of it in the offseason!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:43 am

Jew wrote:Visited the park tonight to get the two credits I didn’t have...

Railblazer is great. I actually think the inversions slow the pace down. Would love to see more airtime Hills in a future version, since the airtime is all ejector insane airtime! Only running one train.

Goldstriker is tracking a little rough, but is a fun twister layout. Hope they take care of it in the offseason!

Only one train? They don't handle it the same way as SFFT with Wonder Women where you have 4 trains and it is slowly moving through the station. I believe they had 3-4 trains there from the reports I saw. How long of a line does Rail Blazer get with one train?

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:51 am

One train??? Jesus :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!