California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Pg 1122 - CGA Haunt Media Event!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby Afterburner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Hah, I just realized the image they used for the Vortex conversion was Patriot at Worlds of Fun. That's funny.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Jameslofton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:23 pm

I assume the suspended family coaster mentioned is the Flying Ace at Carowinds or is there a new version on the horizon? Its hard to picture any of the rides mentioned fitting here...especially that hyper. Railblazer is going to take up the prime spot always imagined for any new ride. They're gonna have to get creative with whatever is next on tap.

When I read this whole thread months ago I saw they had a special event for Goldstriker before it opened where people could show up and ride it for a few hours. I hope something similar happens with Railblazer.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby laqueefa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Jameslofton wrote:When I read this whole thread months ago I saw they had a special event for Goldstriker before it opened where people could show up and ride it for a few hours. I hope something similar happens with Railblazer.

When the time comes for shooting commercials, keep an eye on the parks social media accounts for posts requesting volunteers. Goldstriker's shoot lasted about 3 days, and we got a massive amount of rides in.
Tigga, please!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

laqueefa wrote:When the time comes for shooting commercials, keep an eye on the parks social media accounts for posts requesting volunteers. Goldstriker's shoot lasted about 3 days, and we got a massive amount of rides in.

This is great suggestion and if you can go to the promo shoot, I'd highly recommend it. I was able to go to the Twisted Colossus shoot for two days and it was awesome. I got about 20-25 rides in each day of the shoot. They gave us free park tickets along with breakfast and lunch, so they really took care of us. Plus I got to hang out with a bunch of cool coaster enthusiasts!
Last edited by VegasBaby on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:00 pm.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Mako
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Jameslofton wrote:When I read this whole thread months ago I saw they had a special event for Goldstriker before it opened where people could show up and ride it for a few hours. I hope something similar happens with Railblazer.

Yes, it was a promo shoot, that was awesome. I was there on the first day (though they did it two or three days in a row), got to be the 5th person loaded on the first ever public train, and got 8 consecutive laps that day, all before all the foam and walls were added! Wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with RailBlazer, and I'll be there if they do.
Last time they did it on what was normally a closed day for the park, and nothing else was open except one concession stand. It was nice to be able to park right at the front gate.
Gold Striker First Train 2013-04-30.jpg
gold striker promo08.jpg
No fence, great photo op for trains at close range! (The employee was there to make sure people didnt stick a hand out at the train or something and lose it)
gold striker promo11.jpg
So new...no walls!
Favorite Steel: Green Lantern First Flight (SFMM) - I know, I'm crazy. I love the unpredictability of it.
Favorite Wood: Ghost Rider (KBF) - since the refurb it is amazing!
Most Wanted: Starry Sky Scraper, El Toro, I305, Batman (SFFT), Eejanaika, Dinoconda, Insane, Outlaw Run

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:43 am

Let's keep in mind for 2 seconds that Railblazer is still just a prototype. Do I think that it will still open for the shooting of promotional previews? Yes. I would expect a decent amount of downtime its first year. And in case the park can't get the footage it wants, Cedar Fair has had absolutely zero qualms about using stock/generic footage before.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The49er » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Just looked back at the renderings and noticed the edges of the pictures seem to conveniently obscure any view of Whitewater Falls. Is there any possible significance to that, or am I just over-thinking things as usual? ;)
Last Park: SFMM / Last Credit: Superman Escape from Krypton / Credit Count: 66
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, CGA Grizzly, Colossus
Top 5 Steel: Twisted Colossus, X2, Joker, Tatsu, Alpengeist

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 pm

The49er wrote:Just looked back at the renderings and noticed the edges of the pictures seem to conveniently obscure any view of Whitewater Falls. Is there any possible significance to that, or am I just over-thinking things as usual? ;)

It's clear in the POV
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Jameslofton » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 pm

That Gold Striker promo shoot sounded amazing. My favorite part of this thread. It was a completely new ride to me so reading that hype train really helped build anticipation.

The49er wrote:Just looked back at the renderings and noticed the edges of the pictures seem to conveniently obscure any view of Whitewater Falls. Is there any possible significance to that, or am I just over-thinking things as usual? ;)

I wondered about WWF when I was there although that was back in May. It was closed and completely bone dry. Not sure if it was temporary or if they're on the verge of tearing it out. I'm not a big fan of water rides so it wont bother me in the least bit if it has to be removed.

I assume they'll have to remove it eventually anyways...railblazer or not.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:43 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned 2017 Haunt yet.

Looks like there will be two new mazes, Backwoods and Chaos House. Returning: CornSTALKERS, Madame Marie, Roadkill Roadhouse, Toy Factory, Wax Museum, and Zombie High.

Scare zones are FearyTales, Jester Town, and Underworld Alley. I believe the first two are new?

The most interesting one to me is Demon Reignited
New for 2017, DEMON: RE-IGNITED! returns the lights, fog, music and blood-red waterfall to the iconic Demon roller coaster.

I never rode it with these effects before, but this is great news for Haunt!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!