TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Yeah it's looking good!

LOVING THOSE TRAINS!!! Not sure how I feel about the red train on the burnt orange track. I personally think it would've looked better with a green or yellow train.

There was a green train, but we don't talk about the accident...

Anyone here into FunPix?

Last year I purchased FunPix on my Platinum Pass (originally purchased from CP) when we visited KD, and FunPix still worked at every CF park I visited.

I noticed season FunPix at CGA is only $40 vs. Kings Island $48 and CP $60, my next two CF parks. Is there anything stopping me from purchasing FunPix on my Platinum through CGA to save money? Looks like Platinum Dining add-on is the same across parks, but FunPix pricing is different at every park. I see nothing on the sites that suggests FunPix pricing is different for Platinum vs. Regular/Gold. I will most likely be at the park in May, and could hold off on purchasing it until then if it's a matter of purchasing at the park.

EDIT: when I just entered my pass number and went to check-out, price is still $40. Did I just find a loop-hole for FunPix pricing?

My understanding is that yep, the pricing is different at each park, but it works the same way. I wish I had known when I was at Knott's last year (not so much to save money, but we would have had a couple more photos in our collection).

I ended up purchasing at Cedar Point. Funny enough, it was a tad more expensive in person, so I told the kiosk guy to hold on while I purchased through my phone.

Edited by thedlr

Last year I had trouble adding Funpix to a different park pass. I had a cedar point pass but tried to add on from Canada's Wonderland website and it said it was an invalid pass. Doing it from the cedar point site it worked. So I guess your milage may vary?

I always buy everything, including the pass itself, in Canada due to the price difference except for the one year when I wanted the renewal bonus for free CP fast lane. I still had my Wonderland card even though I renewed as a Cedar Point pass and it was a CP pass in the system. The following year I changed it back to a Wonderland renewal with the same card.

Anyways, enjoy your FunPix!

^^Thanks for the heads up that in-person might be more expensive. Looking around at other CF sites, it appears that CGA has the cheapest FunPix.

Why is that? Fewer rides that have photos? It's been a while since I've been to the park, so I can't remember all the rides that have them.

Last year I had trouble adding Funpix to a different park pass. I had a cedar point pass but tried to add on from Canada's Wonderland website and it said it was an invalid pass. Doing it from the cedar point site it worked. So I guess your milage may vary?

I always buy everything, including the pass itself, in Canada due to the price difference except for the one year when I wanted the renewal bonus for free CP fast lane. I still had my Wonderland card even though I renewed as a Cedar Point pass and it was a CP pass in the system. The following year I changed it back to a Wonderland renewal with the same card.

Anyways, enjoy your FunPix!

Last year I purchased my Platinum at CP, but when I went to KD and purchased the FunPix, they swapped my pass out for one that says Kings Dominion on it. I still have that one even though I renewed at CP. It would appear that it doesn't matter what your pass says, as long as it is Platinum. We had no trouble buying season drinks at KI even though our passes were both "from" different parks.

^^Thanks for the heads up that in-person might be more expensive. Looking around at other CF sites, it appears that CGA has the cheapest FunPix.

Why is that? Fewer rides that have photos? It's been a while since I've been to the park, so I can't remember all the rides that have them.

I would assume that it's priced differently per park based on attendance and # of rides/experiences where it can be used. CGA obviously is one of the lower end CF parks, so it's cheaper there. Cedar Point's is also more expensive because it's the flagship where demand is much higher for the product. They may look at it as most people who live in California are not as likely to go to other CF parks as often vs. their "home park". I hope that makes sense. For instance, I purchased my platinum pass through Carowinds and added Funpix on for $44.91. Since Carowinds is the closest CF park to me (still 6.5 hours...lol), It would be assumed I'd use it there more. That' won't be the case in my case since I'm only going for a few hours on my trip in June on the way to CP...lol Most people that don't investigate deeper than their closest park wouldn't know there was a price difference (I didn't until you posted it).

EDIT: when I just entered my pass number and went to check-out, price is still $40. Did I just find a loop-hole for FunPix pricing?

Nice! Being under the impression that you have to buy FunPix at the park where you bought your pass, I bought FunPix at Knott's a few weeks ago for $49. If I renew my Platinum Pass next year, I'll have to remember that CGA loophole.

^ So interestingly I was curious and entered known pass info from Canada's Wonderland without funpix on it into the CGA site, Carowinds, CP, and CW site no problem, but doing the same exact thing into the Knott's site doesn't work. So some sites work, some don't. Since they are different prices you hypothetically should have to buy it at the same park you bought the pass at, but who knows what it's "supposed" to do.

I guess you should get it cheaper while your can :-P though I would also bring a confirmation email that you bought it with you in case anything weird comes up and it doesn't work out of the box.

^ So interestingly I was curious and entered known pass info from Canada's Wonderland without funpix on it into the CGA site, Carowinds, CP, and CW site no problem, but doing the same exact thing into the Knott's site doesn't work. So some sites work, some don't.

That's interesting. When I bought FunPix at Knott's (at the park), I asked the dude at the photo counter if it was valid at other Cedar Fair parks, since I was buying it for a Platinum Pass. (This is my first year buying a PP, or visiting any other Cedar Fair parks.) He confirmed that it is, but mentioned that other parks will probably have to "enter it into their system" before I can use it, since I bought it at Knott's. Is that typical with other parks, too?

I bought mine online for last year and there was no record on the pass itself I had bought it, supposedly, even though I already entered the pass number when I bought it. So I had to go to the Funpix booth and show them my receipt on the first visit of the year last year and then they activated it to my pass. Once you are "live" and active it will immediately work at all parks without any new intervention. Used it at 5 or 6 parks last year with no issue after the initial hurdle.

I'm curious since my account is still active online with all the photos from last year if I will have to visit the booth or not. Same pass number renewal, etc. I'll find out Saturday as it will be my first park of the year (different from my home park) and I already paid for Funpix when I renewed.

No wonder they took down the live cam, they started testing

And someone needs to be written up for taking a vertical video on the 2nd link.

I am not sure what you mean, the live cam is still up.

The link to the cam was taken down for a few days, I guess it's back now.

luotcvp2pcu01.jpg

RailBlazer has already started two-train testing! Here's the red train going down the drop (as seen by the webcam).

They seem to be moving faster with testing than WW was. I'm sure they learned a lot from the simultaneous install and the second time will be a little easier