TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I feel like the only people complaining about CGA are the ones who have not been in a while. Same goes for SFDK. It's also not wise to turn this very opinionated discussion of SFDK vs CGA into an argument over who is right and wrong. Both SFDK and CGA are enjoyable, in my mind, but both also have their problems. Arguing against the latter point is pointless. Both parks are far from the level of their respective owners flagship properties. Nonetheless, both have improved by leaps and bounds in the past couple years. Even this year saw noticeable improvements in these parks. I mean, I guess I'd give the slight edge to SFDK, but only slightly, and frankly, that may change after Railblazer. So yeah, I don't see either as being significantly better than the other.

Edited by ABW

I feel like the only people complaining about CGA are the ones who have not been in a while. Same goes for SFDK. It's also not wise to turn this very opinionated discussion of SFDK vs CGA into an argument over who is right and wrong. Both SFDK and CGA are enjoyable, in my mind, but both also have their problems. Arguing against the latter point is pointless. Both parks are from from the level of their respective owners flagship properties. Nonetheless, both have improved by leaps and bounds in the past couple years. Even this year saw noticeable improvements in these parks. I mean, I guess I'd give the slight edge to SFDK, but only slightly, and frankly, that may change after Railblazer. So yeah, I don't see either as being significantly better than the other.

I feel like the only people complaining about CGA are the ones who have not been in a while. Same goes for SFDK. It's also not wise to turn this very opinionated discussion of SFDK vs CGA into an argument over who is right and wrong. Both SFDK and CGA are enjoyable, in my mind, but both also have their problems. Arguing against the latter point is pointless. Both parks are far from the level of their respective owners flagship properties. Nonetheless, both have improved by leaps and bounds in the past couple years. Even this year saw noticeable improvements in these parks. I mean, I guess I'd give the slight edge to SFDK, but only slightly, and frankly, that may change after Railblazer. So yeah, I don't see either as being significantly better than the other.

^ This. Very good point made. I do think we shouldn't really argue over which park is better. They're already the two biggest and most well known parks in the NorCal region anyway.

I feel like it was more of a discussion of the value of re-branding CGA. The conclusion would be that it would do little to change the sentiments of the locals on either park. The criticism was less so of the present days CGA, but the slog that the park went through in the previous decade. We've grown up with these parks, so there's little value rebranding (as seen with Marine World-->SF:MW-->SF:DK | Marriott's-->Paramount-->CGA e.g. we've been through so many re-brandings in the Bay Area) versus actual improvements to the parks. That's all the point was.

I feel like it was more of a discussion of the value of re-branding CGA. The conclusion would be that it would do little to change the sentiments of the locals on either park. The criticism was less so of the present days CGA, but the slog that the park went through in the previous decade. We've grown up with these parks, so there's little value rebranding (as seen with Marine World-->SF:MW-->SF:DK | Marriott's-->Paramount-->CGA e.g. we've been through so many re-brandings in the Bay Area) versus actual improvements to the parks. That's all the point was.

My exact thoughts as both parks are great. I think the comparisons are mostly coming from many realizing how far California Great America is coming along. SFDK has always been an great park in my opinion. Naturally we are going to compare new events to ones that have been out for a while. Great time to live in the Bay Area for theme park lovers! This year it was nice to have two Holiday offerings that deliver.

Oh don't worry! I'm not saying that's specifically what you were doing. I'm just saying if things were to start going in that direction of comparison, it wouldn't be worth it most likely. You're all good, and I'm glad you brought up the points that you did!

I do like that since all the rumors of CGA closing are gone they are really stepping up the park. It was definitely a neglected park in the past, but with Railblazer and all their great events, they're really starting to step it up. I'm excited to see what they do with the park in the near future.

Hey all!

I'm going to be visiting CGA for my first time on 12/30.

I'm sure the obligatory "what should I expect" post has seen it's rounds on here already so I'll scan through the thread to find it.

In the mean time, are all of the coasters open for winter fest? On the Winterfest website, Patriot, Flight Deck, Gold Striker and Woodstock Express are the only coasters advertised.

Update: Nevermind all. I found the answer a little further back. A little sad I'll be missing Demon but oh well. Another time I suppose.

Really?! It seemed to me like it was going up the same way as wonder woman... what parts are going up differently?

The one that sticks out the most is they've already started the Raven turn on Raiblazer, whereas WW it was one of final elements they installed.

The parts have definitely gone up in different order. I believe GLC began with the final turnaround before the brake run while RailBlazer started with the upward helix leading toward the mid course drop, followed by the midcourse drop...then they began going "backwards" to build the off-axis airtime hill. I guess different contractors... As long as they can get the track pieces in without another interfering/being in the way, then probably doesn't matter too much. I see construction (in person) practically every day and has been fun seeing it go up. With this said I've nearly memorized the order the track segments went in.

Part of the raven turn went up this morning, followed by putting up the cutback. RailBlazer has yet to have the vertical drop installed which I look forward to seeing soon. Yesterday, the off-axis airtime hill was finished and base of the "coming out" of the raven turn was done.

The parts have definitely gone up in different order. I believe GLC began with the final turnaround before the brake run while RailBlazer started with the upward helix leading toward the mid course drop, followed by the midcourse drop...then they began going "backwards" to build the off-axis airtime hill. I guess different contractors... As long as they can get the track pieces in without another interfering/being in the way, then probably doesn't matter too much. I see construction (in person) practically every day and has been fun seeing it go up. With this said I've nearly memorized the order the track segments went in.

Part of the raven turn went up this morning, followed by putting up the cutback. RailBlazer has yet to have the vertical drop installed which I look forward to seeing soon. Yesterday, the off-axis airtime hill was finished and base of the "coming out" of the raven turn was done.

I am probably am completely wrong, but could it possibly be due to the theme going around the coaster?

Considering they have to build rock-work, a cave, and water elements, maybe certain parts of the construction need to be done first in order for it to be completed on time. WW obviously doesn't have to worry about plumbing as RR would. WW literally can just be plopped and just have a station build around it.

There are a ton of reasons why they can go in different orders. Theming can be one, but also the foundation can cause a lot of issues. Depending on the makeup of the ground and the size and depth of the concrete blocks, it can take longer to cure or to support the weight. We had a lot of issues when we were building our slides at the waterpark I used to work at. We were built on a landfill next to a river, so there were a lot of issues with curing the concrete and the sizing.

There are a ton of reasons why they can go in different orders. Theming can be one, but also the foundation can cause a lot of issues. Depending on the makeup of the ground and the size and depth of the concrete blocks, it can take longer to cure or to support the weight. We had a lot of issues when we were building our slides at the waterpark I used to work at. We were built on a landfill next to a river, so there were a lot of issues with curing the concrete and the sizing.

This is all true.

Two other possible reasons: Crane access and staging area locations might be different and might require certain areas to be erected before or after others. Also consider that the RMC install crew may be trying different installation techniques in order to optimize Raptor construction for future projects. We are constantly trying to optimize on-site install time at my waterslide company.

WW obviously doesn't have to worry about plumbing as RR would. WW literally can just be plopped and just have a station build around it.

Isn't WW going to be over water as well?

They've made some quick work of Railblazer this week, amazing how fast these Raptors can be erected.

WW obviously doesn't have to worry about plumbing as RR would. WW literally can just be plopped and just have a station build around it.

Isn't WW going to be over water as well?

They've made some quick work of Railblazer this week, amazing how fast these Raptors can be erected.

I just rewatched the video and you are right! But it is literally just a man-made pond with no interaction with the coaster itself, unlike RailBlazer.