Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 913 - Copperhead Strike Roller Coaster for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby thrillrider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Looks like this park will be affected by the hurricane. Hope everyone that lives in the path of the storm is safe.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bgtlover » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 am

JJLehto wrote:So, Im making a trip home for Thanksgiving, and since I always need a layover in Charlotte I always check Carowinds.
It seems they actually are open for limited hours for "winter fest" including one day from 2 - 10 :O
Anyone been here for this winterfest/know what it is? Is the full park open? I can handle cool weather but am unsure if I should bite the bullet and finally go this year, when the park may not be crowded at all (?) or wait till next year when itll be warmer and the new coaster is open

Last year was the first year (since 2005 anyway). The park was decorated for the holidays and had shows, Ice Skating , photo ops and more. The whole park wasn't open. Fury 325 and the area around it wasn't open. However, there are Christmas lights up in that area (put up recently) so there may be a chance it (maybe Hurler) could open this year. The only large coaster open was Afterburn. It's my belief they didn't want to try and have too much open to see if it would be successful there. It would seem more rides may be open this year. They'll likely post the information once Haunt is over on what attractions will be open.

As far as the weather, it likely won't be too cold. Maybe a sweatshirt is needed, but temps can be in the upper 70s on Thanksgiving (I lived there for 30 years).

Here's a map showing what was open last year (it's a bit small, but it's all I could find)
winterfest 2017 map.jpg
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby sdcfan88 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 pm

thrillrider wrote:Looks like this park will be affected by the hurricane. Hope everyone that lives in the path of the storm is safe.

Yeah things are not trending in a good way for that area, thats for sure. Just recently visited the park for the first time at the end of August and loved it. Hope it is not too severely affected. People need to heed warnings and get out of its path. This could be bad.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/CONUS_band.php?sat=G16&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby fraroc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I know that Carowinds survived Hugo, Fran, and Isabel...but I honestly hope that Carowinds pulls through, this could be a bad one. I honestly hope that Carowinds doesn't suffer the same fate as SFNO.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:03 pm

fraroc wrote:I know that Carowinds survived Hugo, Fran, and Isabel...but I honestly hope that Carowinds pulls through, this could be a bad one. I honestly hope that Carowinds doesn't suffer the same fate as SFNO.

Carowinds is MUCH farther inland than SFNO was, major flooding and storm surge is not what they need to worry about at all.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bgtlover » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:28 pm

It will be a major rain event in the areas near Carowinds/Charlotte at most. There will be localized flooding near bodies of water and some streets in lower lying areas. There maybe downed trees from the excess moisture and pop up thunderstorms associated with it. This is going by a live update I just watched from the local NBC affiliate in Charlotte. They don't expect winds to be more than 10-20mph by the time it gets near there.

Friday night may or may not happen with SCarowinds, but looks like Saturday & Sunday will be a washout with the park closed unless Florence turns more north.
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 pm

fraroc wrote:I know that Carowinds survived Hugo, Fran, and Isabel...but I honestly hope that Carowinds pulls through, this could be a bad one. I honestly hope that Carowinds doesn't suffer the same fate as SFNO.

:lol: Someone buy this dude a map.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby JJLehto » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:40 am

Itll be OK. There may be flooding and such, but Charlotte is very far off the coaster, it wont get the catastrophic winds or surge flooding that decimates the coasts.

And thanks for the winter fest info! Yeah weather wasn't a concern but the rides not being open deff are :lmao:
Good to know, sounds like a nice time but not worth an excursion out there. No problem I'll go next year which is sensible anyway given the new ride
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby fraroc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:13 am

coasterbill wrote:

:lol: Someone buy this dude a map.

I know that Carowinds is very far inland, but when we have all these news sources saying that this storm is gonna be "the big one" for the Carolinas, I can't help but feel like Carowinds is kind of vulnerable to some serious damage. I have no doubt that B&M built those big coasters to withstand extreme weather events though. Hell, SFNO's Batman is now operating in SFFT.

I just hope for the best and pray for everybody and their families down there.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby sdcfan88 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:50 am

For those following the storm, it has happened. Landfall was made around 5:40am EST near Surf City, NC. Florence still a CAT1 hurricane. Moving very slowly WNW at 6mph.

As for the park, as the storm moves further inland this weekend towards Charlotte, it should maintain Tropical Storm strength with 50-70 mph wind gusts and several inches of rain being likely. They also made this post on social media:
41702469_10156675611858599_2014239361452736512_n.jpg
florencelandfall002.png

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!