Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 863 - New expanded kids area in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby TwistyTie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 pm

My opinions about the coasters at Carowinds are pretty much the opposite of everyone else's. For example, I didn't think Fury was all that great. Maybe it was just because I rode in the back half every time, but it felt very rattley. The first drop was great, but everything else just seemed kind of pointless. There were very little forces, it was mostly just about going fast. Afterburn was awesome and I thought it was tied with Fury for best coaster in the park. Intimidator was really nice and I really liked it for some reason. I think it's better than Goliath at SFoG. Vortex was my first stand up, and I really enjoyed it. I rode in the front seat... or whatever you call it... and it was decently smooth and the headbanging wasn't too bad. Nighthawk was good too. I didn't think it was rough and I actually liked it more than the B&M flyer I've ridden (S:UF at SFoG) because of the more creative layout.

(Carolina Cobra and Hurler sucked as expected though)
TTD is better than Maverick (at least in the front seat :lover: )
Click to see the coasters I've ridden:

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CaptainUnknown » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Here's a new grain of salt for you all...
Screenshot002.jpg
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 am

TwistyTie wrote: it felt very rattley

Fury?????? That's a new one. :lol:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby SFOG1991 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:18 am

I feel like people exaggerate the whole B&M rattle thing so much, but I have to say I could only ride Fury a few times in a row because it was so jarring to my brain.

I can ride the roughest craziest wooden coasters without issue but can't handle too much of a new B&M giga due to rattle ...go figure. :roll:

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby average.coaster.fan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:26 am

Yes, people really do over exaggerate on B&M rattles. Its amongst some of the biggest nitpicking that I've seen for any coasters period. Its not a big deal, and it doesn't take away from the ride experience. I rode Fury 8 times this past month, and although I did notice a rattle in some of the right end seat (minus front and back row), it didn't make the ride worse than I previously thought.
Steel: 102 Wood: 19 Overall: 121
Top 5 Steel: Skyrush, Kumba, i305, Fury 325, Montu
Top 5 Wood: Thunderhead, White Lightning, Grizzly (KD), Thunder Road, Comet

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:47 pm

SFOG1991 wrote:I feel like people exaggerate the whole B&M rattle thing so much, but I have to say I could only ride Fury a few times in a row because it was so jarring to my brain.

I can ride the roughest craziest wooden coasters without issue but can't handle too much of a new B&M giga due to rattle ...go figure. :roll:

Strangely enough I have experienced the same thing. I've ridden extremely rough rides and only three have given me headaches, one of which was gatekeeper (in 2013). I used to think people were making this rattle issue up and so I was extremely surprised when that happened to me. I still consider most B&Ms very smooth, though. I find it amazing how I've ridden 20 year old B&Ms which were as smooth as it gets and perhaps that's why I find it odd that there have been these reports on some of their newer rides.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Fury rattled a bit on that first low hill, but other than that it was glass smooth and the little bit of rattle wasn't enough to detract from the ride.

I know what people are talking about with regards to the rattle, but it's never been enough to ruin a ride for me. The only B&Ms that truly stink are the stand-ups, like the steaming pile of poop near Fury known as Vortex.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pproteinc » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:07 pm

A glimpse into the new maze replacing the old Defects maze for Scarowinds.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby CPmillenia94 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Something people have to understand about the whole B&M rattle situation; Every ride will be different, even on the same coaster within minutes of the last ride. Sometimes all it takes is another person sitting in your row to turn a completely rough rattly ride on a certain B&M into a glass smooth one. Weight (full train vs empty), weather, temperature, maintenance, all of these things affect the ride vastly and are constantly changing.

In my personal experience, Fury has seldom given anything but glass smooth rides. However, even the smoothest coasters out there have their bad cycles.. Hell, I've even had a ride on maverick that had rattle!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I can't put my thoughts into words about this topic so here is a picture of a baby. This thread really needs more babies ;)

Seriously though, if a B&M rattle is bothering, then how do you ride or enjoy any wooden coaster out there? Not directed at any single person, but I guess i just don't get it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!