TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Wednesday the 6th was also my first visit to the park. Fury is now my number one coaster!

This was also my first time riding a flyer and a stand up. Vortex was rough, and the forces were a bit hard on my knees. Now that I have experienced it, bring in the floorless trains lol!

Nighthawk I did not enjoy. I didnt like how it felt just laying onto those vests. That may add to the thrill for some, but for me it was too uncomfortable. Also it was really rough, and nauseating. Still glad I tried it though.

Afterburn was incredible! Also my new favorite Invert.

The other coasters were simply for the credits. I really enjoyed Carowinds and wish I had more time to have enjoyed it. But hopefully I can return some day!

Great report! I pretty much agree with all of your opinions on the rides, except maybe Nighthawk

Afterburn is definitely my favorite "classic" B&M Invert as well, and I say that because I also love Banshee but for different reasons. Carowinds really has an amazing top 3 and the new Mack next year solidifies that even more.

Nice report! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and thanks for taking the time to post it.

The scoop on the Hurler station is that its theme has long been gutted after originally being based on Wayne's World during the park's Paramount days. From the coaster's Wikipedia page:

"Originally, the queue wound underneath the coaster through a 'hot set' on location filming scenes from Wayne's World. Upon entering the station building, park guests passed through a full-scale set of the iconic basement hideout of Wayne and Garth. Since removal of the Paramount references, the queue and station building are loosely themed with the remains of the original theming." Link

Thank you! That's interesting about the station, but I feel that it was the one spot in the park that could really use an update. Also the construction site is a quite a bit bigger than I anticipated it being. I love Manta at SeaWorld San Diego so I'm really looking forward to this ride if it turns out to be the Mack launcher!

We swung by the park today for about 2 hours after spending Father’s Day weekend in North Carolina with the in-laws.

A few takeaways since I haven’t been there in two years...

- That construction site is massive. To me, it looks like a giant pile of dirt but clearly to the trained eye it’s more exciting.

- We had the best ride we’ve ever had on Intimidator. The thing was flying and while the trims did kick on, it wasn’t anything terrible. I never remembered the ride having much airtime, but with near-100 degree heat it was blasting over those hills.

- Brit took one look at Electro-Spin and gave it a hard pass, so I still haven’t ridden a Top Scan

- Afterburn is fantastic and easily one of the best inverts out there

- I’m not a huge Dippin Dots fan, but Fury Freeze is the real deal

- Fury... good lord. I feel like a choir of angels should start singing over the station speaker system every time they dispatch this thing. This ride is flat out ridiculous. It was dishing out El Toro level airtime in the heat and the speed was off the charts. I’m so jealous of everyone that lives near this ride.

- And finally..

4CEDCF93-21BE-4FB2-9B41-295F22235939.thumb.jpeg.19b440e8f0423322719d5dcb60942eec.jpeg

Gross... fix it, RMC

- Fury... good lord. I feel like a choir of angels should start singing over the station speaker system every time they dispatch this thing. This ride is flat out ridiculous. It was dishing out El Toro level airtime in the heat and the speed was off the charts. I’m so jealous of everyone that lives near this ride.

I'm not a big fan of Carowinds on the whole, yet, that coaster alone would just about make me want to call it my home park! SO freaking glorious! Choir of angels level indeed!

But what we really want to know, is if you rode Vortex, and if you still think it isn't the steaming piece of steel garbage everybody else does!

- Brit took one look at Electro-Spin and gave it a hard pass, so I still haven’t ridden a Top Scan

I was nervous to try it, but it's actually a lot of fun. Pretty similar to the experience a Chance Chaos would provide.

- We had the best ride we’ve ever had on Intimidator. The thing was flying and while the trims did kick on, it wasn’t anything terrible. I never remembered the ride having much airtime, but with near-100 degree heat it was blasting over those hills.

We rode these on a hot, sunny, August day. I agree, Intimidator ran a lot better than it did for me back in 2014, and Fury was bats**t insane.

But what we really want to know, is if you rode Vortex, and if you still think it isn't the steaming piece of steel garbage everybody else does!

nah.

We only had about 2 hours since we had a 12 hour drive looming as soon as we left. We hit Fury once in the front. It broke down, so that took a bit. Then we re-rode in the back. Each time, the wait was only on the steps. After that we went back to Afterburn, then looped around the front to ride Intimidator and Fury one more time in the back before grabbing a Fury Freeze and heading out. That was all we had time for unfortunately.

- Fury... good lord. I feel like a choir of angels should start singing over the station speaker system every time they dispatch this thing. This ride is flat out ridiculous.

I don’t post much but had to reply to this! Agreed, 100%. Fury is a masterpiece. Got lucky enough to end my night at Carowinds with a front row night ride after marathoning it all day/evening. Absolutely incredible.

I also enjoyed Afterburn, Intimidator, Hurler (I have a strange love for rickety old wooden coasters) and the Plants vs Zombies game/arena ride thingy. [emoji5]

^ I actually never saw the Plants vs Zombies attraction while I was at the park. But, my time was limited so I was really just focused on the coasters. Also, is Boo Blasters closed? It appeared that way when I was there on the 6th, but again, I was in a bit of a hurry.

It’s behind Afterburn. We found it on accident, but went back multiple times. Great break from the heat and awesome game/ride.

Boo Blasters was running while we were there the last few days! Another great break from the heat, and fun game as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that blows.

Several cars catch fire in parking lot of Carowinds

http://abc11.com/several-cars-catch-fire-in-parking-lot-of-carowinds-/3638472/

caro.jpg.290e5a0cc0a0c44100cac3eee2a034bc.jpg

Several cars caught fire in the parking lot of Carowinds amusement park in Charlotte Friday afternoon.

Fire officials said one car caught fire and flames quickly spread to others in the lot, according to WSOC.

11 cars were charred from the fire and most are likely totaled.

Authorities are still trying to figure out the cause.

Sooooo Im going for the ridiculous, 3 parks in 3 days.

I realized my layover (like always) is in Charlotte. So I am gunna fly in early and leave late and sneak in a day at Carowinds!

What type of crowds could I expect on a Sunday in late Aug, (the 25th)?

Is it possible to get multiple rides on Fury and do a good amount of the park, all the essentials, without fast pass.

As always Im no cred whore, I am ok with skipping the boomerang, wild mouse, the family rides are deff being skipped.

Ideally would like the rest, but ya know...am open to skipping nighthawk or the B&M stander though Id like to hit em.

This is terrible. I feel bad about the little girl's unicorn (from this article). In a way, this is really only "theme park news" because of where it happened, but I'm impressed by what I've heard about how the park responded.

^^ You’ll be fine. Carowinds rarely has lines for the big rides outside of Scarowinds and the occasional Saturday.

Ride Nighthawk at park open if you want to ride it. Ride Ricochet next if you care, then you’re golden. Fury basically never had a line over 10-15 minutes. Neither does Afterburn. Intimidator is rarely all that bad either.

I realized my layover (like always) is in Charlotte. So I am gunna fly in early and leave late and sneak in a day at Carowinds!

Is it possible to get multiple rides on Fury and do a good amount of the park, all the essentials, without fast pass.

As always Im no cred whore, I am ok with skipping the boomerang, wild mouse, the family rides are deff being skipped.

Ideally would like the rest, but ya know...am open to skipping nighthawk or the B&M stander though Id like to hit em.

They have the best Boomerang I have ridden. It has the new vest restraints. Fury and Afterburn crank out the trains so the lines should not be bad. I rather enjoy Nighthawk alot. I would hit it first thing in the morning. Ricochet is worth a spin if line is short. Carolina Cyclone can be skipped.

I enjoy the Vekoma flyers actually so yeah.

Thanks yall. Its kinda silly more I think about it, and will cost more, but well....I'll be in Charlotte and have a full day to kill. Instead of just going home why not make my layover all day and get in Fury

You’ll be fine. School should or will getting back in session around that time so crowds will begin to fizzle out then.

This is terrible. I feel bad about the little girl's unicorn (from this article). In a way, this is really only "theme park news" because of where it happened, but I'm impressed by what I've heard about how the park responded.

Shit happens.